You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 minutes ago, haakoo said:

No need for calling names @toltec :P

Do you mean because he used the word “oxymoron”? I don’t think he’s calling anyone a bovine nitwit! :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Is it? How so?? :/

Because the "checking" doesn't always seem to apply to the "spelling".

But maybe I am getting it all out of context.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Really? "Hold the fort" makes more metaphorical sense than "hold down the fort"? I cannot hold a fortification in my hands but "hold down" can literally mean to secure something in place.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Tihs is jsut czary, it factaeniss me taht we can stlil raed tihs jblume of letrtes, eevn tugohh its all julmebd up, its lkie mgaic Eevn lnog words psoe no poreblm lkie cmoilocucrtuin Wlel myabe tehy do a bit

Mix it up

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Really? "Hold the fort" makes more metaphorical sense than "hold down the fort"? I cannot hold a fortification in my hands but "hold down" can literally mean to secure something in place.

I don't know about literally, "hold down" sounds more like stopping something from flying away, or being blown away in the wind.

Perhaps they don't make forts very strong in Texas? Was that the problem at the Alamo ;) ?

52 minutes ago, R C-R said:

"hold down" can literally mean to secure something in place

But that's precisely the point! When you "hold the fort" you're guarding it against intruders, not preventing it from floating away.

Alfred spacer.png

30 minutes ago, toltec said:

I don't know about literally, "hold down" sounds more like stopping something from flying away, or being blown away in the wind.

"Hold" can among other things mean to grasp, carry, or support with one's arms or hands, so as with so many other metaphors it can be interpreted in several different ways. For that matter, "hold" can refer to a stronghold or other fortified place so "hold the hold" would work as a metaphor too.

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

But that's precisely the point! When you "hold the fort" you're guarding it against intruders, not preventing it from floating away.

If I use a clamp to secure a board in place while I cut it with a saw, would you assume I am doing that because I am worried that it would otherwise float or fly away?

Despite all efforts to standardize it, in the real world language is gloriously chaotic; often ambiguous; highly dependent on cultural, ethnic, & other contexts that frequently seem totally illogical in different ones; & constantly evolving to suit both the whims & needs of those who use it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

"Hold" can among other things mean to grasp, carry, or support with one's arms or hands, so as with so many other metaphors it can be interpreted in several different ways. For that matter, "hold" can refer to a stronghold or other fortified place so "hold the hold" would work as a metaphor too.

So hold as in "time", hold as in "grip" or secure.

Who makes up this stuff?

6 minutes ago, fatfreemedia said:

Sorry to be that guy but can we keep this thread to the topic at hand please? I'm following this thread for an answer to the posted question and this morning my Inbox was filled with about 20 non-related responses. Grumpy old man yells at cloud. Thank you.

Apologies! I thought the issue was solved, but I guess you're still looking for a trigger, not just a fix.

20 hours ago, fatfreemedia said:

I'm experiencing the same issue pretty regularly but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out what is triggering it. A restart of the app does fix the problem as others have stated. 

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Apologies! I thought the issue was solved, but I guess you're still looking for a trigger, not just a fix.

Correct. I'm looking for the trigger along everyone else and appreciate an earlier reply suggesting we save a file along with History and send to the Affinity team. I'm doing my best to notice when it happens and perhaps keeping a log of my history each time it occurs might shed some light for the developers to fix the issue. I'm hoping to help solve this dilemma 'cause it's driving me nuts.

• 1 year later...

This issue just happened to me on a MacBook Pro using 10.14.6.

Conditions:
Affinity Designer updated to 1.8.1
Arranging layers was working.
I did something that made all the view palettes condense down into one frame. I don't know what I did but it seemed like a bug.
I then noticed I couldn't arrange layers.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In my computer (Windows 10) it seems the bug occurs when I "place" or add image in the documents or play with selection brush tool and possibly other selection's element. Maybe in the backend there is a function called linked to theses modules that crash, leading to the impossibility to move the layer again.

Several time it happened to me in similar conditions.

My post here is just a point's spotting. Possibly there is other variables linked to this bug.

So here three documents saved with "Save History With Document" enabled, before I attempt to solve the problem. Please let me know if it helps.

vegetable.zip

window.afphoto

room.afphoto.zip

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Happened to me right now too, apparently when i tried to "place" something in the file (was trying to follow this https://frankentoonstudio.com/design-school/using-textures-in-affinity-designer/)  to learn how to put a pattern (stripes) within a shape - driving me crazy, but i'm (slowly) learning. The ordering of the layers was working fine all morning on another file, I imported the texture provided in the tutorial and tried to reorder the layes as indicated, and that didnt work anymore - including on the other files I had opened.

• 11 months later...

Locked layers occured to me on MacBook with latest OS and using AD 1.10.4 and I restarted by closing and restarting both software and Mac. It cured it but might be triggered by copying in layer from another affinity designer file. No renaming was available in the menu and no ability to drag layers. It was possible to move the layer within the group stack but not into another group. However a temp workaround was to cut/paste the layer to where it was wanted but eventually better to restart system as above.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @Grebbel,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The original post is quite old and as far as I'm aware there's no know bugs/issues regarding moving layers (up/down in the layer hierarchy/Layers panel). Can you give us a few more details about what you are experiencing please? If you could record a small clip showing what you are doing (or a least a screenshot) we may be bale to help better. Thank you.