You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am experiencing a strange problem. I can no longer move a layer up or down in the layer hierarchy. I know that I could do this at one time (gasp!) 

At first I thought that it had to do with layers being locked, or grouped. But I have reversed these layer states, and yet the problem persists.

I must tell you, I am a newbie, so I am sure that it is related to some basic oversight on my behalf.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Candace

• Staff

Hi candacew,

A few users already mentioned this but i'm still not able to replicate it. Can you attach your file here (or PM me a dropbox link if you prefer) so i can take a look? It also would be helpful if you could tell me which actions you've performed generically (cropping, resizing, etc) if possible.

Thank you for your reply, MEB. I restarted my Mac, and the problem is gone. 

For future reference, I had already tried restarting Affinity, but that did not stop the problem. Other peculiar behaviors also appeared- the tools were not responding as usual, etc.

I had not resized or cropped the image when the problems appeared, but I had been working on the same file for hours. My previous experience has been with the raster program, Painter by Corel, and I have found that after hours of intensive work it is sometimes necessary to close the file and reboot. 

If the problem occurs again, I will try to document more carefully. Thank you again for your help!

• 5 months later...

I've had this happen quite a few times. When I restart AD, the problem goes away and I can drag to reorder layers again. Just now AD wouldn't let me drag layers, but selecting the target layer and using the Arrange keyboard shortcuts (Move forward one / Move back one) worked. Seems to be an intermittent bug. I didn't do anything in particular out of the ordinary before it happened, just working on a design and trying to keep the template layer on top.

MacBook Pro 15" 32GB RAM, iPad Pro 12.9" + Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil.  Software tools of my trade: Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | PDF Expert | Drafts | The Archive | Plutio  

https://eandrpublications.com.au

• 3 months later...

I have this issue too.   (1.4.2)

I copied/pasted 2 images onto another for compositing and the layers became blocked.  I can't move adjustments layers either.  Saving and relaunching AFP fixed the issue.  (I hadn't saved the document up to that point).

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

• 4 months later...

Dittos to Misc33's issue.  Thanks, Misc33, for the workaround (i.e., Arrange, up/down).

I've restarted AD, and am still experiencing the problem.  I thought perhaps I inadvertently did something that locked up the Layers panel in this particular project, so I opened up older AD projects.  The layers won't move in them either.

At least I can keep moving using the Layer - Arrange option.

• 1 year later...

I think all of you who are experiencing this issue should upload the files that had the issue to MEB (If at all possible, stop what you are doing and before you attempt to fix this issue save a version of the file with history) it may help spot a pattern, one cannot diagnose what is a fairly common occurrence on hearsay and without evidence.

It would also help if you put your system specs/models in your sig and the version of AP used. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

... one cannot diagnose what is a fairly common occurrence on heresy and without evidence.

Or hearsay, either! :8_laughing:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

Or hearsay, either! :8_laughing:

lol your my online spell-checker lol! Corrected :P

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

lol your my online spell-checker lol! Corrected :P

Well, almost corrected! You changed “heresy” to “heresay” but you should have changed it to “hearsay”. And BTW, “your my” (in your post that I’ve quoted here) should be “you’re my”; i.e. a contraction of “you are my”.

Unfortunately, spolling checkers don’t/can’t pick up most of this stuff (apart from “heresay”, which isn’t a word in any of my dictionaries). On which subject, you may recall this thread from two or three weeks ago. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Well, almost corrected! You changed “heresy” to “heresay” but you should have changed it to “hearsay”. And BTW, “your my” (in your post that I’ve quoted here) should be “you’re my”; i.e. a contraction of “you are my”.

Unfortunately, spolling checkers don’t/can’t pick up most of this stuff (apart from “heresay”, which isn’t a word in any of my dictionaries). On which subject, you may recall this thread from two or three weeks ago. :)

"I could put it heresay but I won't" lol!

Corrected again.

I'm going to have to step up my game aren't I.

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

"I could put it heresay but I won't" lol!

Corrected again.

I'm going to have to step up my game aren't I.

You know what they say in the entertainment industry "Everyone's a critic".

And by the way, should there not be a question mark after "aren't I" ?   :D

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Seems like a good place for this xkcd comic... ;)

i_could_care_less.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

What are spolling checkers??

Just a deliberate misspelling of “spelling checkers”! I had actually typed “spolling chackers”, but by the time I noticed that I had only undone the autocorrection of the first one @firstdefence had quoted my post, so I decided to leave it alone.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Just a deliberate misspelling of “spelling checkers”! I had actually typed “spolling chackers”, but by the time I noticed that I had only undone the autocorrection of the first one @firstdefence had quoted my post, so I decided to leave it alone.

Isn't the phrase "spelling checkers"  itself something of an oxymoron ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

3 minutes ago, toltec said:

Isn't the phrase "spelling checkers"  itself something of an oxymoron ?

Is it? How so?? :/

Alfred spacer.png