You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Literally no way to export and preserve layers how they originally were in Designer??

Id really want to work with Designer but as i experienced, the software can not export project files that can be correctly opened in any other program.
There are 3 file formats that can keep the layer structure and are supported by most programs. PSD, SVG, and TIFF. If i export in there formats Designer can open them correctly again. But if i try to open it in Illustrator or Inkscape, either it gets rid of all the groups or creates extra layer groups inside my already existing ones.

Is there any way to keep layers how they were originally? I assume SVG is the best one so far, since it doesn't destroy all my groups.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @rocewis. :)

You can export to PSD as long as you don’t need editable text in the output. The TIFF standard only allows for proprietary embedded layer data, so the Affinity apps can’t read Adobe layer data and vice versa.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I believe this falls under the same question - if I created a composition of various shapes, curves, etc that I want to then export as individual layers so that I can then import into an animation software (After Effects, Motion, Blender, etc) and animate, the individual layers do not import in the same positions in X & Y space as they are in Designer, but rather centered. So, when I go to import I get a "deck of cards" situation where all of the layers are stacked directly on top of one another rather than being laid out how they are in the composition that I created. Is this indeed the case or am I missing something? 

• 4 weeks later...

So AF had no response to this issue?  I face the same/similar problem.  I use AF to create designs that are destined for use in a cutting machine.  I find that no matter how clean (minimal groups/layers) I keep my design, the resulting AF SVG has each object in it's own group.  This causes failures when I import into the cutting software.  I end up having to import the AF SVG into Illustrator to clean it up - an then it's successful with the cutting software.  What's the point of this workflow? I like AF for iPad because I easily can work anywhere.  But with AF's convoluted export workflow - I'm forced to use my desktop Illustrator.  Am I missing an Export process or is AF just not aware?