You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it  possible to have  replication tool for replicating 10s of the same  object at once, i.e., fields for x  amount of columns  and x amount of rows with x amount of spacing?

For example,  if I wanted to  create  an  A5 dot grid  page with (with 0.025 inch size dots) at 30 columns wide, 45 rows long , at 0.25 inches apart x and y (something like the replicate tool in Serif Craft Artist 2)). 

To do this with the current duplication functions would take forever and to an extent would be a manual process. (Unless there is already something like this in Affinity and I just haven't found it).

Thanks,

Dee.

In case you haven't discovered Power Duplication, you could:

1. Create your first dot.
  2. With the dot from 1 selected, Ctrl+J to duplicate it.
  3. With the dot from 2 selected, use the transform panel, move it .25 inches to the right.
  4. With that dot still selected, Ctrl+J 28 more times. You now have one line of dots.
  5. Select them all.
  6. Ctrl+J to duplicate them all.
  7. With them still selected, use the transform panel to move them all down .25 inches.
  8. With them still selected, Ctrl+J 43 more times. You now have your array of dots.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I like the idea of having such a feature and find the name would suit the purpose perfectly. I'd love for the user to be able to define amount and spacing horizontally and/or vertically. An addition cool feature would be if you could replicate an object along a path 😉

19 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In case you haven't discovered Power Duplication, you could:

1. Create your first dot.
  2. With the dot from 1 selected, Ctrl+J to duplicate it.
  3. With the dot from 2 selected, use the transform panel, move it .25 inches to the right.
  4. With that dot still selected, Ctrl+J 28 more times. You now have one line of dots.
  5. Select them all.
  6. Ctrl+J to duplicate them all.
  7. With them still selected, use the transform panel to move them all down .25 inches.
  8. With them still selected, Ctrl+J 43 more times. You now have your array of dots.

16 hours ago, dReas said:

I like the idea of having such a feature and find the name would suit the purpose perfectly. I'd love for the user to be able to define amount and spacing horizontally and/or vertically. An addition cool feature would be if you could replicate an object along a path 😉

Thanks dReas,

It would be a cool feature - did not think about replication along a path - that would be so useful too!

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

If you need this sort of grid regularly, you might be interested in this application if you are using Windows 10:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/143089-free-vector-tools-for-windows-10-users/
It wasn’t created specifically for this sort of thing but it might be worth a try.

Screenshot 2021-07-13 094809.png

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

If you need this sort of grid regularly, you might be interested in this application if you are using Windows 10:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/143089-free-vector-tools-for-windows-10-users/
It wasn’t created specifically for this sort of thing but it might be worth a try.

Screenshot 2021-07-13 094809.png

Hi Garry,

Thanks for the tip - this looks interesting - I shall have a look at this - Thank you.

Dee