You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A rather nice design idea

William Overington

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

Or to put it another way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTpWYWIfP7Y&t=2h12m45s  ;)

Edit: Or somewhat shorter but with an equally obvious time parameter:

https://youtu.be/RTpWYWIfP7Y?t=2h12m45s

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

An explanation is described in the following post.

https://community.serif.com/discussion/115224/by-popular-request-the-william-says-thread?page=39#reply382791

The discussion also involves the three immediately previous posts in the same thread.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

A rather nice design idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTpWYWIfP7Y&t=7965s

Inspiring.

William

How is that at all elevant to the Affinity applications?

Please describe why you are posting something, rather than just pointing to a 2-hour video and saying "this is nice" (or inspiring).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

🐘 🐘  🐘  

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Please describe why you are posting something

Whatever the reason, given that there aren’t any resources on offer I don’t think this is the right place to post it. While not ideal, somewhere like this might be better:

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

This forum not only has posts about Affinity products themselves but also has posts about design ideas. For example, some people post images that they have produced using Affinity products, and the design is sometimes discussed.

Some people are inspired in various ways to generate new designs.

Some people enjoy reading of the design ideas of other people.

I opine that the design idea at that point in the video is excellent and I thought that some people who participate in this forum might like to know of it.

I suppose that if one wishes in a procedural manner to restrict discussion in some way that a really good point of order representation could be made to the moderator that this thread be wiped as off-topic and the poster given a chalking off!

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Please describe why you are posting something, rather than just pointing to a 2-hour video and saying "this is nice" (or inspiring).

Well, I wanted to draw attention to that particular part about the design idea of those astronaut's wings.

I thought it inspiring and was simply trying to let other people who might be interested to know about it.

Applying Affinity products is often about artistic creativity so I thought some people here might well be interested.

So the thread now includes a metadiscussion about whether this sort of post should be allowed, but nothing so far about the beautiful imagery and concept imagination that is in the video.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

🐘 🐘  🐘  

Whatever the reason, given that there aren’t any resources on offer I don’t think this is the right place to post it. While not ideal, somewhere like this might be better:

So on Friday I started the following linked thread in Share your work and the moderator moved it to Resources.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/145559-hardcopy-output/

Looking at the thread to which you linked, that is in Share your work but did not get moved.

So where should I post it?

Or should I just not post it at all?

Silence rather than joyful communication.

Do not disturb.

Here is a link then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAEppFUWLfc

As to the spelling mistake that inspired your use of the emoji, yes, I had noticed it, and indeed I looked it up in the lexico.com website just in case it was a word with which I was not familiar, but as it was not listed I took the message to have meant what I thought was probably the intended meaning and tried to answer that.

William

16 minutes ago, William Overington said:

So on Friday I started the following linked thread in Share your work and the moderator moved it to Resources.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/145559-hardcopy-output/

Looking at the thread to which you linked, that is in Share your work but did not get moved.

Your thread about photo frames, keyrings, etc, is clearly about resources which could be used in conjunction with output from the Affinity apps. Marc’s thread about NFTs is about someone else’s work rather than his own but (like the current thread) it doesn’t belong in the Resources section.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

This forum not only has posts about Affinity products themselves but also has posts about design ideas. For example, some people post images that they have produced using Affinity products, and the design is sometimes discussed.

No, that is Share Your Work.

So where should I post it?

Or should I just not post it at all?

Silence rather than joyful communication.

In Questions, probably, if at all. But please describe the relevant reason you're posting it. Pointing to a 2+ hour video that is not obviously relevant to digital design or the applications we're using here, and saying simply "isn't this inspirational" is not (in my opinion) reasonable. At least discuss what you found inspirational, and give a timecode we can look at so we don't all have to watch 2 hours and somehow figure out what you meant.

(This is all my personal opinion, of course.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, that is Share Your Work.

I know it is Share your work.

I have posted things in Share your work.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In Questions, probably, if at all. But please describe the relevant reason you're posting it. Pointing to a 2+ hour video that is not obviously relevant to digital design or the applications we're using here, and saying simply "isn't this inspirational" is not (in my opinion) reasonable. At least discuss what you found inspirational, and give a timecode we can look at so we don't all have to watch 2 hours and somehow figure out what you mant.

(This is all my personal opinion, of course.)

But there is a timecode built in to the link that I included in my post. It is at 2 hours 12 minutes 45 seconds.

If someone clicks on the link it should start playing at exactly the right point.

If I described what I found inspirational I would simply be repeating or paraphrasing what is so elegantly said in the video.

There seems to me to be no possibility of not figuring out what I found inspiring as it is exactly what the man in the video says.

William

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

At least discuss what you found inspirational, and give a timecode we can look at so we don't all have to watch 2 hours and somehow figure out what you meant.

There is a timestamp (‘t=7965s’) although that is rather less obvious than the ‘t=2h12m45s’ format that I used in my reply.

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

If someone clicks on the link it should start playing at exactly the right point.

I expected to see something at that particular moment in the video, since you didn’t make it clear that we needed to watch for a minute or two to find out what was inspirational.

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, William Overington said:

But there is a timecode built in to the link that I included in my post. It is at 2 hours 12 minutes 45 seconds.

Apologies. I should have noticed that.

3 minutes ago, William Overington said:

There seems to me to be no possibility of not figuring out what I found inspiring as it is exactly what the man in the video says.

And how is what he said relevant to designing digital art using the Affinity applications? What about it inspired you to create something? What did you create?

Resources (this forum) are things like brushes, styles, textures, etc.

They are not inspirational thoughts. And this is not a place for discussing inspirational thoughts.

When you have created something based on that video, it would be nice to see it, and see how the video actually inspired you. And that would be wonderful in Share Your Work.

(Still, personal opinions.)

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Your thread about photo frames, keyrings, etc, is clearly about resources which could be used in conjunction with output from the Affinity apps. Marc’s thread about NFTs is about someone else’s work rather than his own but (like the current thread) it doesn’t belong in the Resources section.

Is it work produced with an Affinity product?

Well, this thread is about a resource in the sense of being an inspirational resource of looking at something in nature and applying its form in a metaphor for artwork. So if it inspires some people here to look at nature and devise metaphors and express them in text or artwork produced using an Affinity product, then it is relevant.

Now that is interesting.

Share your work is the name of the section.

But then there is a subheading of Post your fantastic designs for all to see.

Is that subtitle limiting the scope of Share your work?

Because one could use Affinity Publisher to produce a PDF document of a story, with no illustrations.

So is a text-only short story acceptable to be included in Share your work?

William

5 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Well, this thread is about a resource in the sense of being an inspirational resource of looking at something in nature and applying its form in a metaphor for artwork.

I think you’re stretching the definition of ‘resources’ considerably if you use it here to mean anything other than files that can be used in the Affinity apps.

8 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Unless it’s plain text (which it won’t be if it’s PDF output from a Publisher document) there will be a ‘design’ aspect in terms of the page format and the choice of fonts.

Alfred spacer.png

28 minutes ago, William Overington said:

As long as you produced it using an Affinity application, it would probably be OK.

-- Walt
PC:

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

And how is what he said relevant to designing digital art using the Affinity applications? What about it inspired you to create something? What did you create?

Well, I have not done so yet, but alright, it could inspire me or others to think of something in nature and it being a metaphor for something, it can take time to think of a new idea, but the concept of a metaphor based on something from nature is there in one's memory ready to be applied and the example is in one's memory as an example of the sort of way that the concept can be applied.

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Resources (this forum) are things like brushes, styles, textures, etc.

Well, I did not check it first, but looking now it has as the subheading.

> Share your custom brush, textures and other resources with the Affinity community.

So, I suppose it depends whether the word "your custom" is adjective is carried forward to other resources.

So, is it

Share your custom (brush, textures and other resources) with the Affinity community.

or is it

Share (your custom brush), textures and other resources with the Affinity community.

or maybe something else?

So quite possibly the first one!

William

23 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I think you’re stretching the definition of ‘resources’ considerably if you use it here to mean anything other than files that can be used in the Affinity apps.

Unless it’s plain text (which it won’t be if it’s PDF output from a Publisher document) there will be a ‘design’ aspect in terms of the page format and the choice of fonts.

Now who's stretching! 😀

William

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

Now who's stretching!

Well, if you think that's stretching too much, then the answer to your question is simple: No. :D

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Well, if you think that's stretching too much, then the answer to your question is simple: No. :D

You've got me there Walt, I tangled myself in my own logical knot!

At least I think I have, .... maybe.

William

Just wondering, after all the fuss, is there anyone apart from me who actually clicked on the link in the first post in this thread and is pleased to know about what the man in the video said and maybe even found it inspiring?

Just wondering, because if someone did it makes taking the flak for posting the link worthwhile.

William

22 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Just wondering, after all the fuss, is there anyone apart from me who actually clicked on the link in the first post in this thread and is pleased to know about what the man in the video said and maybe even found it inspiring?

Once I knew that I had to do more than simply view the frame displayed at the specified timestamp I did actually find it mildly interesting, but it wouldn’t have occurred to me to characterize it as inspiring.

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

I expected to see something at that particular moment in the video, since you didn’t make it clear that we needed to watch for a minute or two to find out what was inspirational.

Alfred spacer.png

It was a link to a specific point in a video, that the person who started the thread thought would be of interest to some readers as it had delighted and inspired him.

There followed a post, liked by some other people, that questioned the post having been made in the Resources section, and there was a post where someone seemed to think that a link to a specific point in a video was just to one frame at that time point.

This all led to a discussion, not on the content of the video to which a link had been posted, but a metadiscussion about what can be posted and into which section it should be posted.

William

2 hours ago, Twolane said:

So, what's this thread about? I seem to have lost the thread.

Agreed.  Could this topic possibly be devolving into flogging a dead horse?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Would people rather that, if I see something that I think might be of interest, that I do not post it?

Then nobody would know about it.

Because I have just seen something that looks interesting and I would have posted it, but now I need to wonder what to do.

William