You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text settings changing between actions. **Fonts bug?** Publisher

Hello

Word Spacing settings in the two panels below don't agree and change seemingly arbitrarily.

I have a document:

• with only 'No Style' Character Style + 'No Style' Paragraph Style in it. No other styles.
  • containing a completely blank single A4 page

When I type in to the text frame, the word spacing is tight - I assume(!) it's as the Text Styles panel, Number 3 below.

What I need is word space settings: 80% 100% 100% (Min, Desired, Max) as seen in Number 1, Text Styles panel. How do I achieve that, please?

Illustration shows how settings change as tool is selected and used:
1) Move Tool selected
2) Text Frame Tool selected
3) Text frame drag-drawn
4) Text typed into text frame = no change

IMG_2285.JPG.4b1ff48688e1119db016ea3bc24addc8.JPG

If I try to:

A) Change the word space settings in the Paragraph Panel, they refuse to change. They snap back to what you see above (whether I type-in, or drag the marker. That's with or without text in the Text Frame, text manually highlight selected or just the text frame selected)

B) Use the Reset Formatting button (Text Styles Panel) they change to:

• Text Style panel = 24.7% 50% 100%
  • Paragraph Panel = 25% 50% 25%

C) Use Text > Reapply Base Styles (What are Base Styles?) I get B.

( I've also noticed the Tab Stop setting changes from 600.7 to 12.3. I've not gone through to catalogue any others )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

14 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

What I need is word space settings: 80% 100% 100% (Min, Desired, Max) as seen in Number 1, Text Styles panel. How do I achieve that, please?

Make a paragraph with some text in it. Set those numbers up while you have the text Caret in the paragraph. Keeping the text caret in the paragraph go to the menu Edit > Default > Synchronize from Selection and then immediately go to Edit > Defaults > Save. This will give you the [no style] default with those values. You might be better off making an actual Paragraph Style to use.

Did you have some actual text selected with a text caret when you were looking at and changing numbers in the panels?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Set those numbers up while you have the text Caret in the paragraph

Hello @Old Bruce

I had not tried inserting the I-beam (Caret) into the text. Thanks for the suggestion.

In the Paragraph Panel I've just....

• I  typed into maximum word spacing: 100 (and 100% when 100 didn't work).
  • I hit return/enter key
  • = it reverted back to the setting as the illustration above number 3 ( 25% ).
  • I also tried dragging the marker = the same. It sticks steadfastly to the settings in the illustration number 3.

The behaviour seems totally consistent, whatever I do.

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

43 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

I had not tried inserting the I-beam (Caret) into the text. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you do that, what happens?

If you do exactly what @Old Bruce suggested, what happens?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Does my response to Old Bruce not show?

Just now, ProDesigner said:

Does my response to Old Bruce not show?

It shows but from what I see you only mentioned typing into the Paragraph panel, not into the text frame.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Oh I see. I had text in the text frame, yes. I inserted the I-beam into the middle of the text randomly. I think it went in between a space and the beginning of a word like this: some text typed in |to the text frame

Hum... if I add a New Style, create a text frame, insert my I-beam (Text Caret) into the middle of the text strong, then try to change the maximum word space to 100%, it refuses it. It reverts to 25%.

2 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

Oh I see. I had text in the text frame, yes. I inserted the I-beam into the middle of the text randomly.

And if you do that, followed by everything else @Old Bruce suggested, what happens? 

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

followed by everything else @Old Bruce suggested, what happens? 

1 hour ago, ProDesigner said:
  • I hit return/enter key
  • = it reverted back to the setting as the illustration above number 3 ( 25% ).

That's what happened

1 minute ago, ProDesigner said:

insert my I-beam (Text Caret) into the middle of the text strong...

What exactly do you mean by that? What is the actual name of whatever field you inserted the I-beam into?

Please remember we cannot see what you see so unless you make that completely clear we can only guess.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, ProDesigner said:

That's what happened

I give up. You are still apparently talking about the Paragraph panel but it is not at all clear if you created an actual paragraph style.

If you really want help with this, please take the time to list everything you have done, step by step, & the results of each of those steps.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

You might be better off making an actual Paragraph Style to use.

Note the word 'might'.

I type in 100, press enter / return key. 100 disappears and is replaced by 25%.

I have tried making a new paragraph style (as @Old Bruce suggested), and I get the same behaviour exactly.

this_one.jpg.962caceaef9a7f7b8339628506ccc844.jpg

We speak different languages thee n me @R C-R so yes, lets agree you can't help me. Thanks for trying.

I've a feeling this is a Fonts bug / issue

The app refuses to accept word spacing changes no matter what I do.

If you've taken the time to look at my attachments, what's your thoughts?

It might help if you gave us a .afpub file with the problem, too.

Also, if you think it's a font problem, what font are you using?

Also, what version of macOS are you running?

Edit: For what it's worth, my Word Spacing with No Style assigned defaults to 80/100/133 and I have no trouble increasing or decreasing the 133 value if I want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hum... I have a nasty feeling this issue has always been present, but not evident if you follow... until I've tried to clean-up what font settings the app defaults to.

I'd been deliberately not updating the app for fear of incompatibilities given the age of my desktop machine... perhaps I'm damned if I don't, damned if I do.

Anyway.. if you open the file and can alter the word spacing.. we'll know it's specific to my machine won't we.

bummer.png.1983a082321c60d22e73fa7763c8364e.png

word-spacing-issue.afpub

EDIT: The screen capture shows different word spacing settings, I think it's because the text is not selected. The text was selected when i recorded 25% 25% 25%

80/100/80 should not be allowed, as far as I know, because desired is supposed to be lower than maximum.

Thanks for the file. I'll try to check it tomorrow, if no one else has identified a problem.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

80/100/80 should not be allowed

I know. It's why I suspect a corruption and trying to 'reset' things.

Normally I'd move a .plist file so it forces an app to reset itself. Seems these apps don't use that tried and tested way. Don't know if it's because of where the Mac OS is going and 'universal' apps coming into being.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Edit: For what it's worth, my Word Spacing with No Style assigned defaults to 80/100/133 and I have no trouble increasing or decreasing the 133 value if I want.

Same here on my iMac running macOS Catalina. All Affinity apps are the most recent Mac retail versions.

Affinity Photo 

6 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

I have tried making a new paragraph style (as @Old Bruce suggested), and I get the same behaviour exactly.

Make a new Paragraph style and name it Joe. Make sure that Joe is chosen, not [no style]

381692086_ScreenShot2021-07-11at10_22_47PM.png.e95b31d074fa87a6fb016bf7abffa98d.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hello @Old Bruce.

The purpose of the post you've quoted, and the illustration, was to answer @R C-Rwho had asked about No Style.

I simply mentioned I tried another style to head off the inevitable "but but.. did you" question.

This thread has ended up very confused for everyone because I've tried to answer every question asked of me, even those where the answer was already in a post above and whether the question was relevant or not. I'll maybe rethink that approach in future.

If I post an illustration with the New Style I made in it, the illustration would be exactly the same in all respects except it would say "New Style" where it says "No Style". The behaviour is completely consistent.

I assure you, whatever impression has been created here, I'm methodical when testing these things.

10 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

Normally I'd move a .plist file so it forces an app to reset itself.

The equivalent of that for the Affinity applications is to move/rename/delete the .propcol file that controls the aspect you want to "reset", or to move/rename/delete the complete "user" folder. The FAQ below tells you where to find them:

There are also some other files/folders you can find, but it can be better to work with the Clear User Defaults dialog unless you really know what you're doing.

-- Walt
PC:

6 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

If I post an illustration with the New Style I made in it, the illustration would be exactly the same in all respects except it would say "New Style" where it says "No Style". The behaviour is completely consistent.

It should say "New Style" only if that is the name you gave that style when you created it. If you see something different, & particularly if you keep seeing max less than desired, then there is something wrong with your copy of the app or with its support files because this is not normal behavior for the app.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what might be causing this -- if you did the full clear user data thing via the CTRL startup, that should have eliminated anything in the support files as a possible cause. 😕

Affinity Photo 

15 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

Anyway.. if you open the file and can alter the word spacing.. we'll know it's specific to my machine won't we.

I opened your word-spacing-issue.afpub file on my Mac & this is what I see in the Paragraph panel with your text frame selected:

796501619_wordspacingissue.jpg.50afe5ad3252ad5443911987d3ef4922.jpg

If I select all the text in the frame & increase the desired word spacing to 100%, the word spacing looks fine.

I am running the current Mac 1.9.3 retail version of APub on my iMac running macOS 10.15.7.

Affinity Photo 

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I've had to do other things and park this. Probably good as I need to step back, and then come at it with fresh eyes and clear head. Then I can take stock, review, and methodically work through the next bit. I'll do it when I'm released from other work, and post an update here.