You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transferring AF to new ssd drive?

My C: SSD is low on space and I want to upgrade to a larger size.  Best Buy tells me that even though I have a valid license, AF might not copy over due to pirating issues/etc when they perform a mirror image to the new drive, which would be a royal pain for me if I have to manually reinstall all my applications manually and causing me to abandon the upgrade.  Could you tell me if the AF app will copy over during a mirror and if not is there is a way around this issue?

Thanks,
Jim L

You should have no problem with the Affinity applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, it should work provided that the new drive  becomes the new C: drive. If not you could try App Mover which works OK for me.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

10 hours ago, astronut80920 said:

Best Buy tells me that even though I have a valid license, AF might not copy over due to pirating issues/etc when they perform a mirror image to the new drive

Not sure why they are saying that.

Mirroring to a new larger SSD drive should be a simple and fool proof operation. I've done it at least twice when a SSD drive has started to fail or needed an upgrade

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

Not sure why they are saying that.

I have one piece of software on my Mac Pro which will require reauthorization if I get a new HD. Not a big deal.

They are just making sure you have de-authorized everything that needs to be, think about Adobe's authorization/de-authorization procedure back in the day.

There used to be a lot of software which was tied to some checksum of the physical parts' serial numbers, CPU + GPU + hard drive etc, so a change of pretty much anything other than just RAM would result in "Hang on, this is not the computer I am registered to run on." coming up as soon as you tried to start your upgraded machine.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.