You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.10.0.5)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Download

Auto-update: Not available

Hello,

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is no longer considered to be an incremental update to the 1.9.3 version recently released to all customers. As such, we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous / future versions of Affinity Designer.

Thanks again for your continued support!

Many thanks!

Matt

Changes This Time (not many as we're heading towards RC soon!)

- Fix for a potential deadlock when opening files with many (potentially large) images
- Many text tweaks - particularly relating to how pinned objects are handled when opened from a Publisher document
- Potential view drawing speed improvement

Changes Since 1.9.3

- Potentially huge performance improvements for large documents. We've spent a long time looking at this and have improved performance many-fold for large documents and improved scalability. If you have particular documents that still appear 'too slow' then feel free to share them with me and I'll do my best to look into them :)
- Memory handling improvements

- Support for Emojis in text tools! 😁👌🏻
- Further performance improvements to general operations
- Misc text performance improvements
- SVG import and export tweaks
- Fixed PDF Export group opacity potentially being applied twice
- Fixed potential crash when quitting with layers still on the clipboard
- Fix for Trotec Job Control incompatibility
- Improvements to noise rendering when used on colours
- Fix for inserting an embedded document, which was incorrectly favouring an in-memory version of the document if you were trying to add it again
- Fix for SVG export failing to correctly deal with stretched text when the user selects 'flatten transforms'
- Fix for SVG import not functioning correctly with whitespace between the keyword "translate" and the following opening bracket- Localisation improvements

On 7/10/2021 at 9:41 PM, MattP said:

Changes This Time (not many as we're heading towards RC soon!)

I don't really get the point to switch the app to 1.10 as there are not so much big changes and new functions as previous update from 1.8 to 1.9. 🤔

It looks like a fix update, not a milestone.

Why the version number suddenly changed from 1.9.3 to 1.10?

1 hour ago, GenewalDesign said:

I don't really get the point to switch the app to 1.10 as there are not so much big changes and new functions as previous update from 1.8 to 1.9. 🤔

It looks like a fix update, not a milestone.

Why the version number suddenly changed from 1.9.3 to 1.10?

A change in version number (e.g., 1.8 to 1.9 or 1.9 to 1.10) generally indicates that the file format (.afpub, .afdesign, .afphoto) changed enough that the older version can no longer open the files created by the newer version.

The explanation when the 1.9.4 beta changed to 1.10 was that some of the changes made for Performance were causing that to happen, so they changed to 1.10.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

48 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

A change in version number (e.g., 1.8 to 1.9 or 1.9 to 1.10) generally indicates that the file format (.afpub, .afdesign, .afphoto) changed enough that the older version can no longer open the files created by the newer version.

The explanation when the 1.9.4 beta changed to 1.10 was that some of the changes made for Performance were causing that to happen, so they changed to 1.10.

All right then, I didn't know about that rule for the files.

Waiting for the 1.11 with some good surprises 😉

I just installed 1.10.0.5 and used it to open a document I created in 1.10.0.3.  I was surprised to see it come back saying "Opening non-Beta document" then suggesting a copy be made.  I'm used to having such when opening a 1.9... document which is not being compatible with beta 1.10.0.5.  But usually a document made in 1.10.0.3 would be compatible with 1.10.0.5 and vice versa.  Unfortunately I do not still have version 1.10.0.3 to see if it actually is compatible.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff
13 hours ago, Gear maker said:

Opening non-Beta document

We normally do this when changing the major build number, 1.7 -> 1.8, 1.8 -> 1.9 and since it was a late decision for 1.9.4 to be renamed 1.10.0 this standard process has happened late this time. It is absolutely nothing to worry about between betas, and simply a consequence of some late house keeping, and yes 1.10.0.5 files are compatible with other 1.10.0 builds, so this message is a warning rather than an error. Thanks for asking though.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.