You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"State" and "auto kerning" must be essential in Designer

I love Affinity products but there are still insufficient points.
Please forgive me for appealing the missing features I really want.

State
Previously known as frames, states are used for animation purposes. They are also used for defining behaviors in cases of symbol buttons like Up, Down, Over (changing the visual style of buttons on click, release, and hover with the mouse).
Common examples of symbol with states are buttons, checkboxes, and animated toggle buttons. These symbols need to change when users interact with them by tapping or hovering over them.
Currently Adobe XD has this feature recently. I believe "State" must be essential for creating our design mock-up soon.

Auto kerning option for text
Kerning involves adjusting our typography to look right rather than creating mathematically equal spacing. Though we can set them one by one manually, it's difficult to do with a large amount of text.
On the other hand, I can see this feature is only available in Publisher. This must be also essential in Designer.

Thanks and regards,
Naoki Matsuo

9 minutes ago, nmatsuo said:

On the other hand, I can see this feature is only available in Publisher. This must be also essential in Designer.

Publisher does have some text functions that don't exist in Designer, but I don't think this is one of them. Can you provide more info on where it exists in Publisher?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you, Walt.

I'm Japanese and I'm always using Japanese text in Designer. I had been wondering why Japanese text does not have the differences when the value of kerning setting is set to "auto" or "0".
Since it works with Publisher, I assumed I must have to switch Publisher when I use the kerning text in Designer. Thus I was misunderstanding Designer does not have auto kerning option for text.

I'm aware auto kerning for alphanumerical text is working in Designer and "Unknown" is selected at Language property for some reason. On changing this to another language, for example "English (Japan)", auto kerning for Japanese text becomes to be working as I expect. 

if I were using a non-Japanese version, I might not aware this issue. I hope this issue would be fixed in next release.

affinity_kerning.png

Thanks for the additional information.

I am not sure why Kerning would work differently with a different language selected, but having "Unknown (ja-JP)" in a Language setting indicates you do not have a Japanese Hunspell dictionary installed, or do not have it properly installed. I am also not sure whether there is a Hunspell dictionary available for Japanese.

You can find more information about locating and installing dictionaries in the FAQ section of the forums:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1