You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, Ron P. said:

Serif does not provide an estimate of when bugs will be fixed.

It seems this bug has appeared before 2018.

On 9/2/2021 at 4:14 PM, ScottLithgow said:

Thanks for posting the issue you have located with Macos BigSur its certainly an interesting read. How are you progressing with the affinity bug experienced in the thread above? To be clear we can scan in all applications and even in Affinity Photo get a perfect preview in the aquire image window it is just when it is finally displayed in photo the breaks down.

I notice this issue has been around since 2018 and probably earlier. Do you have a date for a fix?

It's so frustrating when it works with my canon scanner and then when something is on my HP scanner I forget and then it falls over. Why affinity works with Canon but not HP when all my other softwear work with both is not obviosuly apparent.

Could you gve us an update?

So I can understand your answer.

Nevertheless customers have paid for a software which includes this feature. And more than 3 years (or more) to solve this is quite long.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to Affinity - courtesy of Black Friday - with a view to replacing DXO 11 and Adobe Elements 15 and then updating my Mac Mini from 10.12.6.  (And upgrade RAM) Happy with it so far, tried most things apart from printing, except I cannot get scans from a Canon TS8200 to load into Affinity at all.  Everything looks OK, can adjust resolution, brightness etc, scan finished but nothing appears in Affinity. The scanner works OK with Elements. It seems that there is a bug that needs fixing, but I'm not sure whether it will apply to 10.12.6, which is pretty old, when it is fixed.  Meanwhile, I dare not update the OS, as I'm 99% - or should I make that 100% - that Elements 15 and especially DXO 11 won't work with an up to date OS.  Any advice on a way forward? 

Are you using the File > Acquire Image and then choosing the Canon from that?

If yes then it could be a driver problem, do you have the latest Canon drivers for that model?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

34 minutes ago, sandalholme said:

Any advice on a way forward?

Use Canon's "IJ Scan Utility" or  "MP Navigator EX" software etc. instead, if available for your TS8200. - Don't aquire the scanner from inside of Affinity, instead use Canon's scanner software and save the scan as a file on disk, afterwards open/place the file into Affinity then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

23 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Use Canon's "IJ Scan Utility" or  "MP Navigator EX" software etc. instead, if available for your TS8200. - Don't aquire the scanner from inside of Affinity, instead use Canon's scanner software and save the scan as a file on disk, afterwards open/place the file into Affinity then.

Better still, use Apple's "Image Capture", which comes as standard with all Mac software.

Martin

Same problem. Captures a garbled image when acquired from Affinity Photo, but captures just fine when using Apple's Image Capture application.

macOS 12.0.1, MBP 13", 2.3GHZ, i7, 32GB, HP Colour LaserJet MFP M277dw (with scanner)

1 hour ago, Martin S Taylor said:

Better still, use Apple's "Image Capture", which comes as standard with all Mac software.

Well a scanner manufactors own driver and tools should be the basic requirements here for a direct access to a Canon TS8200, without that also Apple's "Image Capture" would be lost here for accessing that Canon device. - Thus "Image Capture" would alternatively only give you some results by using it via an iPhone cam shot then as a replacement for the scanner.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

21 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well a scanner manufactors own driver and tools should be the basic requirements here for a direct access to a Canon TS8200, without that also Apple's "Image Capture" would be lost here for accessing that Canon device.

Certainly you need a driver, but I'm pretty sure there's a driver for Canon printers built into the MacOS. I never installed anything from Canon onto my Mac – I just plugged in the printer-scanner and it works (except with Affinity, which is why we're here). You certainly don't need Canon's tools for scanning – Apple's work just as well, though you can use Canon's if you prefer them.

- Thus "Image Capture" would alternatively only give you some results by using it via an iPhone cam shot then as a replacement for the scanner.

I don't understand what you mean here.

MST

4 minutes ago, Martin S Taylor said:

Certainly you need a driver, but I'm pretty sure there's a driver for Canon printers built into the MacOS

A driver is usually Canon device dependent, for example, my Canon scanning engine also supports multiple sheets and auto double side scanning etc. Thus I doubt what Apple supplies is made by them for Canon devices, instead the OS might identify the vendor device/unit type and then installs an appropriate one from those the manufactor offers.

10 minutes ago, Martin S Taylor said:

I don't understand what you mean here.

I meant to use alternatively an iPhone made shot/photo then, instead of using the scanner for getting a digital copy of some picture template and the like.

Many well-known graphical applications that have a scan functionality (for example Apple Preview) rely on the printers/scanners drivers built into Mac OS. This is also the case for Afffinity Photo.

The problem here is that it works and gives perfect scans for these graphical applications except for Affinity Photo. This is not a driver printer/scanner problem.

4 hours ago, Dan28 said:

The problem here is that it works and gives perfect scans for these graphical applications except for Affinity Photo.

Then it's clearly an Affinity problem/bug and should be filed in under the forums bugs section in order to be fixed with one of the next updates!

15 hours ago, Martin S Taylor said:

Certainly you need a driver, but I'm pretty sure there's a driver for Canon printers built into the MacOS

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201465

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Many thanks for the support and helpful suggestions.  Much appreciated. I'd forgotten that the scanner can be triggered directly, having used it so much from within Elements, and also wirelessly for printing and "hands on" for copying.  So I went on a long journey: it turns out I had never downloaded the TS8250 s/w: it worked fine with the previous Canon printer s/w for some bizarre reason.  So, having been told by Canon I didn't need a driver, I downloaded the device s/w, only to find that the Canon utilities continued to not recognise the TS8250, only the previous hardware.  Re-loaded the s/w. Same result.  However, I can initiate scanning from the scanner and thence pick it up with Affinity from the desktop.  Now about to resume trying to get the Canon s/w to work as designed.

Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, sandalholme said:

it turns out I had never downloaded the TS8250 s/w

Initially you said you have a TS8200, the TS8250 is instead a slightly newer follow up model. Further it's difficult to find concrete MacOS drivers for an older TS8200 model, you will mostly only find Windows drivers for that model on the net! - Can't tell if the newer TS8250 or even older TS8100  models macOS drivers would do equally well for that, you have to try and find out.

VueScan claims to have incorporated a macOS TS8200 driver into their scanning software (see here for example in DE).

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this should be here or in a new thread.

M1 iMac | macOS Monterey | Affinity Photo 1.10.4 | Epson Perfection V600

Scanning with Shift ⌘ A keystroke (equals File > Acquire Image)

The Image Capture window opens as expected (set to Color 300 dpi) and everything works except in a certain scenario:

If I create a second selection rectangle in Overview, and want to delete that selection rectangle, the delete key takes effect in the Affinity Photo window (in the background) instead of the Image Capture window (in the foreground).

Quitting Affinity Photo and starting over fixes the problem as there's only one selection in the Image Capture window.

This could be dangerous, as something in a background window is deleted and the user may not notice.

By the way, some other problems I've noticed in the past seem to be better in macOS Monterey: Affinity Photo starts up dramatically faster. I haven't (yet) the problem where the scanner isn't recognized even after it's warmed up. And I haven't (yet) had the occasional problem where the result in Affinity Photo is garbled.

Edited by Stephen Hart

• 4 months later...

I had a Canon MP640 printer/scanner which had no problems with the Acquiring an image in Affinity Photo. Sadly, this gave up the ghost a couple of days ago and I replaced it with a Canon G3560. This now has the same problems described at the beginning of the thread. Could Affinity be stuck with the driver for the old printer? Scanning directly to Affinity via the MacOS Printer & Scanner in System Preferences works fine.

Edited by RichMach

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Martin S Taylor said:

It is baffling that Affinity are letting this drag on so long without resolution, or even comment.

Please see my post from page 1 of this thread - 

On 8/16/2021 at 4:39 PM, Dan C said:

This issue doesn't seem to affect all of our Mac users, and certainly doesn't affect all scanners - however we've been able to replicate this with a Canon MG5750 scanner internally.

Therefore I am logging this as a bug with our developers, I'm not 100% certain of the cause as we're still using the same Apple API that the scan dialog uses outside of the Affinity app, however I can also see you have more options (such as 'encoding') that aren't available when scanning directly in Affinity so there may be more here than meets the eye.

Unfortunately from our testing we haven't yet found a workaround for this issue, besides scanning externally and then importing the scanned images into Affinity - we appreciate this requires additional 'steps', so my apologies for any inconveniences caused here.

The above is still true, and the issue is still logged with our developers. I'll be sure to 'bump' this with them now, although as mentioned in the above post, we simply use Apples API here.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Quoting myself from last February:

"M1 iMac | macOS Monterey | Affinity Photo 1.10.4 | Epson Perfection V600 Scanning with Shift ⌘ A keystroke (equals File > Acquire Image)"

I am now using a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with the same scanner, and see essentially the same problems I reported earlier. Delete in the Image Capture window deletes not the selection in the Image Capture window, but the contents in the Affinity Photo window, which is, visually, at least, in the background. If the scanner is not awake, I get an error message (which resolves on its own, at least in my tests).

Scanning in Color and Black and White appears to work normally, but scanning in Text produces a severely garbled image.

All in all, easy to work around, as long as I remember the procedures.

Scanning with Image Capture.app is not the same. There, scanning in Text works fine. And if the scanner is not awake, I get a Waiting for Scanner message.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Disappointed Affinity Photo 2 still producing garbled black & white images when using file → acquire image → selecting HP office jet scanner. The pre import overview is perfect it is still just resulting import that is garbage. I am still using image capture to scan & then manually import. I understood why under the pricing model it wasn't fixed in Affinity Photo 1 but this really should have been fixed in Affinity Photo 2. Every other program I have can scan via the api except Affinity Photo 2. It's just a sloppy lack of attention to detail by the developers.  

30 minutes ago, ScottLithgow said:

I understood why under the pricing model it wasn't fixed in Affinity Photo 1

It's not about pricing. This is more about priorities within a small team of engineers. Issues that affect only a part of users and that can't be easily reproduced will always have lower priority, especially if they can be worked around, like this one.
Serif is still hiring, by the way: affinity.serif.com/careers

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 1 year later...

In the current version of Affinity Photo 2.40 the problem still doesn't seem to be fixed. I've tried scanning individual pages with our Brother MFC-L2730DW in various versions and also in the beta version, but without success.

--
Apple 2020 Mac Mini M1 Chip (16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Affinity V2 Universallizenz 2.3.1 + always latest beta

• Staff

Sorry to hear this is still occurring in 2.4 @deepblue, I've 'bumped' the development log regarding this now to bring it to our teams attention once again.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)