You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been trying to scan things into Affinity Photo using the Acquire Image feature. However, whenever I scan something directly into Photo, it comes through with interlacing problems (see the screenshot below—the interlaced image behind the Acquire Image dialog is what I end up with) that render the image useless.

My scanner is an HP Color LaserJet MFP M283fdw. I'm on Affinity Photo 1.9.3 and macOS 11.4. I can scan fine from the OS scanner function—if I scan to TIFFs and open them in Photo it works all right. But I'd love to be able to skip the extra step. What might be going wrong?

image.thumb.png.66b2e9f7028c59314dc17e1dbb467b4a.png

5 hours ago, futuraprime said:

My scanner is an HP Color LaserJet MFP M283fdw. I'm on Affinity Photo 1.9.3 and macOS 11.4.

Quick check shows that the latest available driver is good for up to OS 11.2

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi, I am also getting issues when scanning from within Affinity Photo (v1.9.3).  I'm currently using a Canon CanoScan LiDE 400 scanner, using the latest drivers running on macOS Big Sur 11.4 .  Scanning is perfect when using the Canon IJ Scan Utility or Apples own Image Capture app.  I noticed that when AP is opened and 'Aquire Image' selected for the first time, an error message appears 'Failed to open a session on the device. (-9921)'; the window then closes.  The overview/preview image is perfect, but when a scan is actioned, the output is garbled similar to futuraprime's post.  I've tried most options to try and resolve the issue - removing printers/scanners, reset the printing system and reinstalling all printers/scanners.  Sadly, same results occur.  Thank you in advance for any help with this problem.

• Staff

Hi @futuraprime & @Aoti007,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

As I understand it, this panel is an Apple API that we 'hook into' and then use the image that the OS feature provides for us - so it's certainly interesting to hear this is producing different results from scanning outside of the Affinity app.

Can you please navigate to Affinity Photo > Preferences > Performance and both provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

No problem at all, many thanks for the screenshots provided!

Can you please try un-ticking Metal Hardware Acceleration from the bottom of this dialog, then restart the Affinity app as prompted.

Now, try using the Acquire Image option once again, does this work as expected for you please? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Hi @Dan C,

Sadly, I'm still getting the same results.  Not sure if this helps, but I've attached a screen shot of the error message which appears the first time 'Aquire Image' is selected in AP.  The Apple API opens fine, then a couple of seconds later the error message appears then disappears shortly after.

Thanks again.

Error Message.png

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that @Aoti007 & @futuraprime - my apologies for the delayed response here!

I've had it verified that Affinity simply uses the Apple 'Image Capture Core' API for Acquire Image, so I'm unsure why the result you're seeing differs from the Preview in this dialog as Affinity does not make any changes, we simply import the image that Apple provides.

Can you both please create a screen recording for me, first opening Image Capture from the Applications folder and using this to generate a scan of your document/image, saving the result to your desktop.

Now, open Affinity Photo and load this image from your desktop - does this display correctly?

Close the previously opened image and navigate to Acquire Image within the Affinity app, then follow the usual steps to scan and import your document into Affinity, which provides the incorrect results.

Please upload these screen recordings to your reply here for me, if you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks once again :D

• Staff

Thank you! I had missed that report due to it being logged initially for a crash only - but I can see it further divulged into a very similar report as above.

Unfortunately the QA member who originally reported this is on holiday currently, so I can't get much more information from them at this time, but I'll be updating this log now with the information provided above and requesting further investigation from our devs :D

7 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I'll be updating this log now with the information provided above and requesting further investigation from our devs

Thanks. I haven't tested with the latest APh beta yet because my old TWAIN office scanner that I've been using lately (incl. earlier today) only works via VueScan.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Dan C,

Apologies again for the late reply.  I've attached a screen recording as requested: -

1) Used Image Capture to scan the image and exported as a TIFF

2) Loaded the TIFF image in AP - image displays correctly

3) Scanned the same image using 'Aquire Image' from within AP (v1.10.0) - final image not displaying correctly

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Many thanks for your help.

• Staff

No problem at all, many thanks for your screen recording provided here!

My apologies for the delay myself, as I have been awaiting further internal testing from members of our team who had access to a compatible scanner.

This issue doesn't seem to affect all of our Mac users, and certainly doesn't affect all scanners - however we've been able to replicate this with a Canon MG5750 scanner internally.

Therefore I am logging this as a bug with our developers, I'm not 100% certain of the cause as we're still using the same Apple API that the scan dialog uses outside of the Affinity app, however I can also see you have more options (such as 'encoding') that aren't available when scanning directly in Affinity so there may be more here than meets the eye.

Unfortunately from our testing we haven't yet found a workaround for this issue, besides scanning externally and then importing the scanned images into Affinity - we appreciate this requires additional 'steps', so my apologies for any inconveniences caused here.

I hope this clears things up :)

Some actual informations to related scanning problems under MacOS BigSur ...

Big Sur: Apple admits scanner problems

MacOS 11 aka Big Sur users may not be able to use the scanner application for certain printers. Apple explains this in a new support document, which is currently only available in English. Affected users are notified that they are not authorized to open the respective app ("You do not have permission to open the application"). This happens when you try to initiate the process in the usual way - preview, system settings printer & scanner or digital image app.

Update is coming - only when?

Apparently, devices from HP are primarily affected, but devices from other brands could also encounter the same problem. According to Apple, it is a bug in Big Sur that the company intends to fix "in a future software update". When this will appear remains unclear - macOS 11 has already arrived at version 11.5.2, macOS 12 aka Monterey is already in the starting blocks for autumn. Why Apple is only now noticing the bug remains unclear - but it may not have been introduced until macOS 11.5.

There is a workaround for the problem - albeit annoying - for the problem. So you should first close all open programs and then call up the digital picture app directly via the Finder. This can be found by pressing Command + G in the Finder, then typing / Library / Image Capture / Devices and pressing the Enter key. Finally, a window will appear with the existing scanner apps.

Nothing happens, but then it does

Here you should double-click the name of the scanner from the earlier error message. Then nothing happens at first. Now you have to close the window and open the scanner app again - according to Apple, it works now and a new scan should work as usual. If you want to use other scanners, you also have to start their apps via the Finder, as mentioned.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 11:20 AM, v_kyr said:

Some actual informations to related scanning problems under MacOS BigSur ...

Thanks for posting the issue you have located with Macos BigSur its certainly an interesting read. How are you progressing with the affinity bug experienced in the thread above? To be clear we can scan in all applications and even in Affinity Photo get a perfect preview in the aquire image window it is just when it is finally displayed in photo the breaks down.

I notice this issue has been around since 2018 and probably earlier. Do you have a date for a fix?

It's so frustrating when it works with my canon scanner and then when something is on my HP scanner I forget and then it falls over. Why affinity works with Canon but not HP when all my other softwear work with both is not obviosuly apparent.

Could you gve us an update?

• Staff

Hi @ScottLithgow,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

On 9/2/2021 at 3:14 PM, ScottLithgow said:

How are you progressing with the affinity bug experienced in the thread above?

Unfortunately there's been no further update for this issue currently, my apologies - though I'll be sure to 'bump' the development report on your behalf now.

In the meantime, you should be able to scan externally using the HP scanner, then import this scanned image/document into Affinity for further editing.

I hope this clears things up!

• 2 months later...

Having the same problem with a CanoScan LiDE 400. Images appear fine through other software but not when Acquire Image in Photo is used.

I'm working on a Mac - macOS Monterey 12.0.1

(the image on the left is what affinity photo gets...)

testscan.jpg

Edited by the5andmany
clarification

On 9/2/2021 at 4:14 PM, ScottLithgow said:

Thanks for posting the issue you have located with Macos BigSur its certainly an interesting read. How are you progressing with the affinity bug experienced in the thread above? To be clear we can scan in all applications and even in Affinity Photo get a perfect preview in the aquire image window it is just when it is finally displayed in photo the breaks down.

I notice this issue has been around since 2018 and probably earlier. Do you have a date for a fix?

It's so frustrating when it works with my canon scanner and then when something is on my HP scanner I forget and then it falls over. Why affinity works with Canon but not HP when all my other softwear work with both is not obviosuly apparent.

Could you gve us an update?

Personally I don't use MacOS Big Sur, or Monterey, also I don't scan via Photo's/Apple's Acquire Image function. - Further I also have no HP scanner, instead I use a Canon based Scanner engine, for which I use Canon specific network based scanner drivers and specific Canon scanner tools here.

Haven't heard yet, if Apple & HP may have fixed these issues in the meantime. So can't give any update here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

21 minutes ago, Dan28 said:

When will this be fixed ?

Serif does not provide an estimate of when bugs will be fixed.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD