You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo-How to clean up scan bars from skin tones?

Aff Photo 1.9.2.1035-Win 7

I have an H&S RGB portrait photo jpg file that was scanned and the scanner left slightly visible bars on the face and forehead. Pls see attached sample of cheek. Is there a quick way of removing them, or at least ameliorating them? If you sit way back from your screen they're visible.TIA.1521737650_skinstripes.png.a501f55cae0cdb5d39de7aa59ae3fd87.png

Hi @SamSteele You would probably get better answers if you uploaded the original image rather than a screen grab of a tiny part - if I sit way back from my screen it looks like a spectacularly unsuccessful bowel movement 🤧

You could select the offending area and try a Gaussian Blur.

1948084774_Screenshot2021-07-10at01_09_51.thumb.png.bd14b69c9c7c9b0eaab06d75868ce34b.png

Or a Diffuse:

797235989_Screenshot2021-07-10at01_12_38.thumb.png.aa32acfad5c38701b47e8417d0220aa8.png

But without sight of the original it's hard to tell.

Cheers

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

2 hours ago, h_d said:

You would probably get better answers if you uploaded the original image rather than a screen grab of a tiny part

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@SamSteele Or install the G'MIC plugin, which has some good (and some not working) noise reduction / debanding filters. The one works best for is in the test category. A weak machine like mine takes a bit longer for filtering.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Often the FFT filter will fix problems like this but, having tried it, I have found that it will not!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Can we have the image to look at or perhaps more of it?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I accomplished what I wanted (not perfect, but much better) by using a New Live Filter Layer >Blur > Median.   20 px; 68%; Average.
Details in the eyes, etc were excluded. The selection brush is quite accurate once you get used to playing with the size keys [  ] .

Way back in the day I could have retouched it using pencil on a 4x5 neg. (/brag)

image.png.0820820b581654d1ee2482472d7fad63.png

Taking a different road to a more targeted approach:

• use frequency separation with 3px to isolate unwanted color issue
  • add B/W adjustment. Set blend mode to difference
  • merge visible (looks almost black but isn’t, use levels adjustment to better see )
  • hide helping layers
  • Set blend mode to add
  • adjust opacity to about 30% gives optimal result

This preserves the fine structures.

you may need to experiment a bit with px settings.

BTW the HF layer shows that a low quality jpeg compression amplified the scan damage.

(Amplified color cast):

49B2169E-BECB-4F00-A822-257A5F4D7076.thumb.png.d0e1fde4910d2e838eca3863a9c7cbaa.png
Result:

02B3B9D4-1C0D-4D3C-867A-2C64AC3E9467.png

remove color from scan.afphoto

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Taking a different road to a more targeted approach:

• use frequency separation with 3px to isolate unwanted color issue
  • add B/W adjustment. Set blend mode to difference
  • merge visible (looks almost black but isn’t, use levels adjustment to better see )
  • hide helping layers
  • Set blend mode to add
  • adjust opacity to about 30% gives optimal result

This preserves the fine structures.

you may need to experiment a bit with px settings.

BTW the HF layer shows that a low quality jpeg compression amplified the scan damage.

(Amplified color cast):

remove color from scan.afphoto

Will give it a shot. Photo was as given. The person is now deceased. What can you do?