You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So there are facilities for greetings cards, various items such as photo mugs, fridge magnets and keyrings.

What would be nice would be an online way to order a one-off quality print of an A4 page in a PDF document and have the print sent by post in a large thick "Please do not bend" envelope so that the page could be framed without a fold in it.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

43 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Does French have a word that is the equivalent of the English word 'homothetically'?

Does the following suffice, William, or are you looking for an authoritative answer from a native speaker? :/

https://translate.yandex.com/?lang=en-fr&text=homothetically

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 15.7.9 (iPad Air 2)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Does the following suffice, William, or are you looking for an authoritative answer from a native speaker? :/

https://translate.yandex.com/?lang=en-fr&text=homothetically

Well, that is very interesting and helpful.

And, um ,er, not wishing to seem, er .... um (churlish?) a er .... multiplicity of views would be welcome.

Perhaps try that again.

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

... or are you looking for an authoritative answer from a native speaker? :/

Possibly.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

15 hours ago, William Overington said:

Does French have a word that is the equivalent of the English word 'homothetically'?

You found it!

I never set metal tyle by hand. Bur the wood casing were they were ordered were used as decorative items to put on the wall and display collection of small objects (especially owls for my mother).

Since PC/Mac weren't so common, and less printers (with black ink), we used all tricks possible (photocopies, markers for drawing roughts...) for our projects. When I begin working, computers were more spreads, but we send files and not PDF (or with?) to our printers.

15 hours ago, William Overington said:

What would be nice would be an online way to order a one-off quality print of an A4 page in a PDF document and have the print sent by post in a large thick "Please do not bend" envelope so that the page could be framed without a fold in it.

Long ago, we could find some sort of automatic printers, were you only had to put an USB key, choose a format, pay and wait for a folder of pictures to be printed instantly.

Perhaps local photographs can provide such services? Or some other shop that print on T-shirt, etc.

Yesterday evening I found the following website.

https://viking-virtualprinthouse.co.uk/

It looks good and includes printing a one-off loose sheet amongst many other products.

There is a Quick Quote facility that is interesting.

There is a £5 minimum order on the price before delivery charge is added, but it seems that one could, say, make up a PDF document of several different maybe unrelated pages and have them all printed as loose sheets at the same time in colour on 350 grammes per square metre stock (is that card or thick paper?), so that one could get quite a lot of output for £5 plus delivery if, say, one has produced several pieces of artwork all the same size, for example A4.

One can choose the paper weight too.

William

Thanks for that link, I've been trying to find a company who can produce reasonably priced calendars for a while.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Thanks for that link, I've been trying to find a company who can produce reasonably priced calendars for a while.

I have just had a look at their Quick quote facility and I note that they do supply calendars.

However, you will need to upload all of the artwork, there is not a template that you would customize.

William

14 minutes ago, William Overington said:

However, you will need to upload all of the artwork, there is not a template that you would customize

Which leads to the more general question of where does someone obtain definitive information, and maybe artwork, of the calendar for 2022, with provenance that it is correct.

I once saw somewhere that the responsibility for knowing which day it is is part of the job of The Astronomer Royal.

William

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

I once saw somewhere that the responsibility for knowing which day it is is part of the job of The Astronomer Royal.

Whenever I am unsure of the correct date I just phone up Brian May, he is always correct. [smiley face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7 
Affinity Designer 2.2.0 | Affinity Photo 2.2.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.2.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I have just found this one and they appear to have templates to which you can add your own pictures.

https://thecalendarprinters.com/

https://thecalendarprinters.com/contact/

The problem with websites that are .com is that it is not obvious whether they are in  the UK or elsewhere, but this one appears to be in Reading.

William

It appears that they will do as many as you want from one upwards.

For example,

https://thecalendarprinters.com/calendars/a4-landscape-style-1/

If someone wanted, say, three for relatives and friends the price each looks good for such a customized product.

Or have two for oneself as well, one to use, one to archive, that might get into the next lower 'per unit' price band.

So for someone who is a hobbyist artist using Affinity Products it seems a reasonable facility.

I suppose the artwork could be of text if one so wanted, or a mix of text and images.

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

you will need to upload all of the artwork, there is not a template that you would customize.

That's what I wanted. I've found company's that just have templates to put your own pictures in, but I prefer to design my calendars from scratch. If you buy 10 (ample for my purposes) they are fairly cheap, per item, from Viking. In the past I've just put a bulldog clip at the top of the calendars, but I'd rather have them properly bound, with a hanging loop.

Thanks again for your help.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

51 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Which leads to the more general question of where does someone obtain definitive information

I use https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays for dates of Bank Holidays. Most other info, general events, Saint's Days, moon phases are freely available on the "net". For the actual calendar blocks, I use the Calendar Wizard/templates in PagePlus X9, then import them (as PDFs) into APub to add the images and other info.

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

I use https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays for dates of Bank Holidays. Most other info, general events, Saint's Days, moon phases are freely available on the "net". For the actual calendar blocks, I use the Calendar Wizard/templates in PagePlus X9, then import them (as PDFs) into APub to add the images and other info.

I have fond that there is a Calendar wizard in PagePlus X7 too, which may or may not be the same as in PagePlus X9).

I just had a go at making one for January 2022.

I was pleased to find that I can have the names of the days in full (as a choice) and I found that I can change the font. I changed it to Goudita SF, one of my favourite fonts.

I notice that the Viking facility gives a choice of colour for the wire that holds the calendar pages together.

William

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

Just wondering, do you change the colour of the number, such as red for Saint Days and Green for Bank Holdays?

Does anybody do that these days? I mean the red, the green was my own idea while writing this post.

I first learned of that when I was looking through a selection of postcards that were available in a bookshop in the mid-1970s, postcards at a small sum each, pick which ones you want, and there were some of an illustrated calendar from an illuminated book.

Images from the manuscript are now available on the web.

http://geowords.com/e_/months_pics/lesriches.htm

The "examine the calendar" section has a page for each month. I found that use of CTRL + enlarged the image, I used it several times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr%C3%A8s_Riches_Heures_du_Duc_de_Berry

William

4 hours ago, William Overington said:

350 grammes per square metre stock (is that card or thick paper?)

That is thick card. Standard paper weight is around 80 to 100 g/m², and thin card is 160 g/m² approx.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

That is thick card. Standard paper weight is around 80 to 100 g/m², and thin card is 160 g/m² approx.

The reason I wondered is that back in the 1960s and 1970s, and possibly now, but I don't know, one could get rather rice machine made deckle edged paper for printing that was far thicker than ordinary paper, but was still quite obviously paper, with a soft surface texture. I seem to remember that it came from either St Anne's mill or Saint Agnes' mill, I am not sure of the name. It was beautiful paper. Apparently, I learned years later, that most (all?) machine made paper is deckle edged when made but the deckle is usually cut off as part of producing the product that is sold. The paper to which I refer was an option for people, often private press hobbyists (and often just using an Adana 8 x 5 press in a shed or on a kitchen table, not big facilities sponsored by the rich patron as were some historical private presses) who wanted to produce a historical style.

William

Thinking about the facilities available at the Viking online print house, I realize that I can use that facility to make a bit of progress with a project of mine that seemed to have hit the buffers for a combination of frustrating reasons.

At least one person who posts here knows of this.

Here is a link.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/Gluten-free_Vegan_Pur%C3%A9e_Foods_Futuristic.htm

It looks like I can now design and get printed at high quality and at a reasonable low budget cost some experimental can labels.

A gentleman did kindly measure a can label for me, but I do not know where the data is now.

William

It looks like I can get 15 copies of each of 3 designs in colour on gloss paper printed onto A4 landscape for £7.73, so a resonable price for prototypes.

William

56 minutes ago, William Overington said:

most (all?) machine made paper is deckle edged when made

I can’t imagine how any paper could be made (by machine or by hand) without deckled edges.

49 minutes ago, William Overington said:

A gentleman did kindly measure a can label for me, but I do not know where the data is now.

I hope this is what you had in mind, William:

williams.jpg.03785dbd6cd84ad50150c8844aa9c00c.jpg

(247 mm × 102 mm)

Alfred spacer.png

7 hours ago, William Overington said:

Just wondering, do you change the colour of the number, such as red for Saint Days and Green for Bank Holdays?

I normally put the Bank/Public Holidays in red and other notable days (saint's days, Bonfire Night, when clocks go backwards and forwards etc) in green. I also add personal dates (family birthdays and that sort of thing) in blue.

14 hours ago, Alfred said:

I can’t imagine how any paper could be made (by machine or by hand) without deckled edges.

I hope this is what you had in mind, William:

williams.jpg.03785dbd6cd84ad50150c8844aa9c00c.jpg

(247 mm × 102 mm)

I have now started a thread in the Share your work forum. The thread has some designs for can labels that I have now produced, using the information about can label size that Alfred has kindly supplied.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/145947-can-label-workshop/

William

So if Serif chose to do so, there could be an Affinity 2022 calendar and Serif could specify artwork rules and people could post images in the special Share your work thread, and Serif could choose twelve images and then sell the calendars and post them out.

William

5 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Serif could choose twelve images and then sell the calendars

If Serif were to sell such an item, I imagine contributors would expect to be paid. That aside, I suspect the potential market for such a specialized calendar would not be large enough to make it a viable proposition.

Alfred spacer.png