You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So, if you have produced some artwork in an Affinity software product, there seem to be basically two ways to apply it. One is to use it to produce pure electronic output, the other is to produce output in some permanent form as hardcopy, either directly from the computer or indirectly using an electronic file as a means to obtain the hardcopy output.

For examples, direct output to a printer attached to the computer for direct output; producing a jpg file and sending over the web to the Papier business and receiving a hardcopy printed greetings card in the post for indirect output.

There seems to be quite a number of facilities available for indirect output.

For example Papier has photo greetings cards, framed prints and other basically paper items; Tesco photo has things like cushions, shopping bags, and keyrings, fridge magnets and so on and some card-based items. I have just noticed a customizable keyring with a bottle opener built into it. Wow!

https://www.papier.com/

https://www.tescophoto.com/

Yet there is no rule that says that those items need to be used for what is the advertised intended use.

For example, the Papier photo greetings cards are marketed as the purchaser uploading a photo file and producing a greetings card to send to someone else, either directly or sent to the purchaser with a free envelope to send it on.

I have used that facility a number of times to upload artwork that I have generated that does not involve a photograph, and I have regarded the cards as art prints and I have framed them using frames that I have bought from the supermarket and have received delivered with my grocery orders. In fact, Papier staff have been very helpful in advising me how to use artwork in this manner.

I have not as yet bought a fridge magnet, but I suppose that it could be used on some other type of ferrous object, though perhaps only for indoor use. Could it be used it some other way for some purpose?

So I am wondering what is available and for what actual uses people are using them - or can think of using them.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I have been thinking about the possible uses of the acrylic photo keyring that Tesco photo offers.

One could use Affinity Designer to make artwork and then the artwork could be used to produce a keyring that contains emergency medical information for someone.

In conjunction with a medical adviser that information could include SNOMED CT code numbers that could be used throughout the world and thus go through the language barrier.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

It seems that the Tesco photo facility charges £4.00 delivery for a £2.50 photo keyring.

However, it appears that if one buys several items the delivery charge for all of it is £4.00.

William

Thinking of what is available, I have realized that a photo keyring with an image on each side, two different images, could be made based on the designs for a tote bag that are used in the following chapter of my second novel.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_second_novel_chapter_015_musical_version.pdf

The PDF document was produced using PagePlus X7, but the svg files used in it were produced using Affinity Publisher.

The following chapter from my first novel is related.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_novel_chapter_017.pdf`

I suppose that I may perhaps need to find out about the aspect ratio of the images needed for the photo keyring and the dots per inch needed, though maybe that will not be necessary as I can try a few tests and perhaps the tesco photo website template will clip off part of the image rather than distort the aspect ratio, and if I use 300 dots per inch they may be adequate.

So an interesting learning experience of trying to produce a real product that can lead to a product that is actually produced, even if I only order one.

Readers who would like to read the first novel and the partially complete second novel and the little that has been done of the third novel can find links as follows.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/

William

I have been trying some tests by uploading images that I produced for the following thread to two of the tesco photo templates.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/138654-artwork-for-greetings-cards/

I tried adding an image to this template.

https://www.tescophoto.com/personalised-gifts/photo-keyrings-fridge-magnets/acrylic-photo-key-ring.html

They can get clipped but not distorted.

I tried adding the full size image used for the image at the top of page 8 in the above-linked thread to the following template.

https://www.tescophoto.com/personalised-gifts/photo-keyrings-fridge-magnets/rectangular-plastic-photo-keyring.html

The result was interesting in that only the middle part vertically of the image was displayed and there was possibly white space was added at the right, though I am not sure of that.

The first full line was "And numbers for" with just a very thin lower edge of the line of text above it " and at the lower edge cutting through the line "English language". A mouseover of the image shows the box of the original image.

There appear to be some controls, including arrows and zoom-in and zoom-out at the right, but apart from the x control, none of them seemed to do anything when I tried to use them, though perhaps hat is something to do with my choice of image.

However, I am experimenting with artwork files.

As the facility is intended for photographs can someone who knows about photography possibly say please what is the aspect ratio and pixel resolution for which the template may well have been designed please?

The keyring is described as 35mm Width, 45 mm Height, though that may be the size of the whole item rather than just the photograph, though looking at the picture and considering the figures given suggests that that does not include the metal ring part.

William

Further tests for the keyring seem to indicate that the uploaded image is centred, scaled about the centre, yet the aspect ratio is never changed.

A mouseover on the image brings up an outline box that indicates where any of the image has been clipped off either horizontally or vertically, but not both on the same image.

The original size of the image can be much larger, it is scaled to fit.

On a hunch I made a jpg 350 pixels wide and 450 pixels high and there was no clipping either horizontally or vertically when I uploaded that image.

That size may include a bleed area. It depends how the keyrings are made. It depends on whether they on plastic which has a photographic coating or are they printed on card or plastic then embedded in a plastic shell.

Anyway it appears that if I make some artwork files of the correct aspect ratio and accept that there might or might not be a bleed area within that, then I may well get a good result.

As they are £2.50 each plus £4 delivery charge regardless of whether I have one or have two, I am thinking of having two.

One a keyring version of the tote bag design in the following document, not the handles though, just the panels;

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_second_novel_chapter_015_musical_version.pdf

and one having the two pictures of the software unicorns featured in the following web page, the illustrations having been made by me (possibly in PowerPoint) using Microsoft clip art of a horse and a woodland scene.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/euto0008.htm

As some readers may know I have recently obtained greetings cards featuring those images by adapting the artwork from that web page using Affinity Designer: the process being described in the following thread, on page 3, 6 and 8.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/138654-artwork-for-greetings-cards/

William

Hi @William Overington

Those are long posts... perhaps adding images instead of links or PDF would help get more answers.

If someone had a problem in front of me, after asking for a doctor or trying to call help, I/help would search in a wallet or handbag for card with health datas, not a keyring (unless the person is conscious enough to show the keyring).

But I suspect any medical staff will check or be more at ease with official information/card that the ones provided by a keyring.

4 minutes ago, Wosven said:

If someone had a problem in front of me, after asking for a doctor or trying to call help, I/help would search in a wallet or handbag for card with health datas, not a keyring (unless the person is conscious enough to show the keyring).

That’s a very good point. One also needs to consider the possibility that the keyring might become separated from its owner: important medical details are usually recorded on a small document that can be kept in a bracelet which is worn at all times.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

55 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That’s a very good point. One also needs to consider the possibility that the keyring might become separated from its owner: important medical details are usually recorded on a small document that can be kept in a bracelet which is worn at all times.

Years ago I used to work alongside someone who had diabetes who wanted us all to know about it in case he should go unconscious, so that we would know what to do: he had a metal bracelet on his left wrist with the word DIABETES on it. He showed me his wallet. There was immediately displayed upon opening it a notice stating DIABETES and a text asking that if anyone found him unconscious please put the sugar in the sachet behind the card in his mouth, preferably in water, but do it anyway if there is no water. He showed me the sachet and it was just a sachet of sugar like sold in cafés when someone buys tea or coffee. I am not quite sure, but I think it had British Rail branding on the sachet, which is probably better than just an unmarked sachet that might concern a potential rescuer. He said that if such a thing happened he would be able to stand up within about five minutes, thank the person, and go on his way, it would act as rapidly as that. Apparently medical staff are trained to always look for such a bracelet in case one is present. I was unaware that there are bracelets for a medical purpose that can contain a document. Good idea.

William

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Hi @William Overington

Those are long posts... perhaps adding images instead of links or PDF would help get more answers.

Les images sont ici, Madame.

tote_bag_obverse.png.ce088f2366dc91d2c76ba57aeb58851e.png

tote_bag_reverse.png.6cd59e281b447a84ac83f8df646f4dfc.png300dpi_unicorns3.thumb.jpg.62a9011e5b7974dbbe80f07c9f2e81d8.jpg300dpi_unicorns1.thumb.jpg.0fec41cd2955b2b0f1f3e26d4c00613e.jpg

William

I asked about the dots per inch to use in a separate thread.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/145816-hardcopy-printing-dots-per-inch-including-of-jpg-files-of-photographs/

So, with all the information that I have, I consider that artwork that is 414 (=35 times 300 divided by 25.4, rounded up) pixels wide by 532 (=45 times 300 divided by 25.4, rounded up) pixels high, while being on awareness that possibly some may be lost round the edges as it may be bleed area, has a good chance of producing a good result.

So that is fine if I want to produce some totally new artwork, which is what I can do for the Hi! and Bye! keyring, as the images are glyphs in a font that I made.

However, if I want to use artwork that I originally used for greetings cards, that is 2171 pixels wide by 1571 pixels wide, to get those images onto one of these keyrings, I need to rotate it by 90 degrees counter clockwise, and then place it onto a larger canvas, some multiple of 414 pixels by 532 pixels, possibly 5 times at 2070 pixels by 2660 pixels. I could then either use Affinity Designer to produce an image 414 pixels by 532 pixels, or I could upload the 2070 pixels by 2660 pixels image and let the Tescophoto template do the scaling.

That process may be best if I were to want a keyring version of the greetings card of the poem with language-independent glyphs, but maybe 4 times would be better for images such as those of the software unicorns as there is already some white space around them.

William

A bit of an aside, but (assuming you have a printer attached to your computer) you may find it easier and cheaper to print the images yourself and buy some photo keyrings from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=photo+keyrings&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

That way, if the image isn't quite right, you can just reprint it.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

18 hours ago, William Overington said:

I was unaware that there are bracelets for a medical purpose that can contain a document.

Please see https://www.sostalisman.co.uk.

Alfred spacer.png

As it happens I do not have a printer.

However, thank you for the link, that is interesting.

From that page I note that a picture 35 mm wide by 45 mm high is called a passport photograph, which is probably why the Tescophoto keyrings images are that size. So maybe that is the size of image that gets printed from those coin in the slot automated photo booths - do they still have them? I have not been anywhere where I might see one for many years.

Ah!

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports/photo-requirements

includes the following.

> measure 45 millimetres (mm) high by 35mm wide (the standard size used in photo booths in the UK)

However,

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

includes both

> at least 600 pixels wide and 750 pixels tall

and

> at least 50KB and no more than 10MB

and

> Do not crop your photo - it will be done for you.

So not the same ratio, but possibly the 600 i=s from rounding up of 584 (=7 times 750 divided by 9, rounded up).

So maybe I should send artwork 750 high by 584 wide to Tesco photo for a photo keyring.

The availability of the empty shells presumably means that there is a way to insert a photograph in them, is interesting.

William

3 minutes ago, William Overington said:

The availability of the empty shells presumably means that there is a way to insert a photograph in them, is interesting.

I haven't actually used them myself for many years, but they usually have a central section that clips into the frame. (A bit difficult to get out again if you want to change the picture.) 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I have now tried making a file test600by750.jpg (it is just plain green filled) to observe what would happen upon uploading it to the Tescophoto template.

It acted almost as it thought it would.

The image is scaled too fit the box vertically.

The right image has a bit cropped at both left and right (as expected), but the left image seems to only be cropped at the right.

However, testing with one of the huge landscape images as the left image there is scaling and cropping at both left and right.

William

I usually use a minimum of 118 pixel for 1 cm (10 mm), when checking images for print in magazines (or 120 pixels/cm, simpler to multiply).

You could need a better resolution if there's text, since it need more details or it'll look blury. 300 PPI is a minimum (but we accept 280 if the image is good... or we can use more).

If you work with vectors, you can use an omothetic size, and export at the one you want later, in the export panel or using the export persona (AD & AP).

I have now tried making a file test600by750.jpg (it is just plain green filled) to observe what would happen upon uploading it to the Tescophoto template.

It acted almost as it thought it would.

The image is scaled too fit the box vertically.

The right image has a bit cropped at both left and right (as expected), but the left image seems to only be cropped at the right.

However, testing with one of the huge landscape images as the left image there is scaling and cropping at both left and right.

William

37 minutes ago, Wosven said:

If you work with vectors, you can use an omothetic size, and export at the one you want later, in the export panel or using the export persona (AD & AP).

I have never met the word 'omothetic' before, and I cannot find a definition, but it looks like a nice word to be able to use.

I remember that lovely word 'paysage' that you used.

Pronounced as sort of English (paySARGE) rhyming with LARGE Is that right?

So one could have a poem.

The picture is large

Oriented paysage

A word I learned about some years ago that I had not known before is 'potable', which I saw used in an article about a self-catering holiday village in Italy where people were advised to bring bottled water with them, as the local water supply is not potable.

A word that I like is 'eutopia' and the related word 'eutopian'.

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I have never met the word 'omothetic' before, and I cannot find a definition, but it looks like a nice word to be able to use.

I wonder whether @Wosven meant to type ‘homothetic’. :/

Alfred spacer.png

18 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I wonder whether @Wosven meant to type ‘homothetic’. :/

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homothetic

Il existe un mot français « homothétique ».

J'aime ces mots à la saveur de France.

William

29 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I wonder whether @Wosven meant to type ‘homothetic’. 

Sorry, it was "homothetic", but the older I get the lazier I am, and instead of using a real dictionary, I used Google translate (is it me or is it worst each time I use it?), "homothétique" didn't get any result, but "omothétique" get one. I'm wondering if it doesn't try to create word from prefixes and known suffixes... 😱

I learn this word as a student, in typography course, when we needed to use a large print of a font (A4), and use geometrical means and tools to enlarge it to a "format raisin" sheet of paper (50 × 65 cm), keeping the blue construction strokes, and using ruling pens and brushes to paint it in gouache.
We learn a lot of interesting tricks in this pre-computer era :)

In fact, that's something we use a lot in the app, using key to constrain the ratio when resizing objects. That's resizing homothetically!

48 minutes ago, Wosven said:

I used Google translate

Both Google Translate and Microsoft Bing Translator treat “homothétique” as an English word if you let them auto-detect the language, but they translate it correctly if you tell them that it’s French. DeepL Translator auto-detects the language correctly.

Alfred spacer.png

J'ai trouvé

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raisin_(format_de_papier)

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fran%C3%A7aise_de_normalisation

Google translate gives

> C'est redimensionner de manière homothétique !

Does French have a word that is the equivalent of the English word 'homothetically'?

Did you set metal type by hand? I did in the 1960s mostly, though some later.

In the 1960s a chess fount was bought, and extra sorts were obtained, including extra Queens so that chess diagrams with a pawn promoted to a Queen could be produced. So in the augmented fount there were eight pieces of type for a Queen, two each of each permutation of black and white pieces, on black and white squares, though never printed black, only ever printed in red. Printed using an Adana 8 x 5 handpress.

In the 1970s I had Goudy Text in several sizes, including 18 point, 24 point, 36 point and I think 48 point too.

Also some large Lombardic Initials.

William