You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustments - Level disappears

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Peters Treasury.

Can you provide a screenshot (just attach the jpg or png to a post here) that illustrates the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @Peters Treasury,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
What macOS version are you running? Do you minimize the app to the dock while you don't use it or leave it open in the desktop (behind other apps) when that happens?

Hi!

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (iMac mid 2011 so I only can update High Sierra)
I just leave it open. It doesn't always occur. Can't relate it to anything yet. 

I have this exact same issue .

The LEVELS  Adjustment will disappear  completely from the top of the adjustments column. No functionality. Quitting Affinity  Photo and restarting clears it up, which is not useful for the document you are working on at the time. ( The  Levels in New  Adjustment Layer remains functional ). Screen shot below.

I leave my Affinity Photo 1.9.3 open all day , and use it frequently. At some point during the day the LEVELS adjustment will disappear, and I cannot tell you what I did to cause that, since no action was being taken  .  It...just ... happens.

I am running macOS Mojave 14.6

Affphoto-LosesLEVELS.png

This bug occurs daily for me. At least once. Sometimes more repeatedly.

I do minimize Aff Photo  1.9.3 to the Dock between uses , but the app itself remains open. 

This began happening about 3 weeks ago if I recall. It was not occuring in the 1.9.2 version or earlier . ( running macOS Mojave )

• 3 weeks later...

18 days after original post, and I note the issue of  LEVELS  disappearing from the Adjustment tab is still present. The  1.9.3  app opens clean and works fine at first , but after editting for half an hour or completing 3-4 images, LEVELS vanishes, and the app must be closed, Quit, and reopened new. Does not occur with any other setting ( and I am not planning to update to version 1.10 any time soon . Sorry ---reading too many reports of performance issues . Will wait for a few incremental fixes, as I always do )

-------

AffPhoto 1.9.3 , Mac Mini 2012 , SSD + 16 Gb ram , Mojave os 14.6

• 4 months later...

Well, it has been more than six months, and I still have the disappearing Levels adjustment . No resolution. Seems the Affinity gremlin hunters have moved on...

Two questions---  1.   does this missing Levels bug occur only in macOS Mojave 10.14  ( and possibly Sierra or High Sierra ? )  but not in Catalina 10.15 or later ? Might explain why Affinity won't bother fixing it since Apple no longer supports Mojave.

2. I also never updated my Affinity Photo from version 1.9.3  to any of the newer version 1.10.  Is it possible this disappearing Level adjustment has been fixed or does not happen in AffPho v.1.10 and newer ?  What is gained by upgrading to Affinity 1.10.x anyway , now that it's been out long enough to be tweaked ?

Nobody ever made me a convincing case that upgrading Affinity from v .  1.9.3  to 1.10.x really gained that much on my older Mac, and I still run some vital 32 bit software , not the least of which is my free Nik Plugin bundle which I use in Affinity Photo often. Which is one reason I choose to stay with macOS Mojave since its the last OS that runs 32 bit code.  Oh well...

• 3 months later...

UPDATE :  It's almost a year after I first encountered this " Levels   Disappears from Adjustment Tabs" bug June 2021, and not receiving a fix from Serif or anyone else after reporting it in July2021 . The issue seems to occur only on macOS Mojave (and maybe theprevious Sierras) . It is persistent...it ALWAYS happens if you leave Aff Photo running all day , as I do.   I can understand why Serif wouldn't put a whole lot of time into fixing a bug that appears on OS's no longer supported by Apple.  They've moved on . I'm still stuck in the vintage Apple orchard...with Affinity 1.9.3

I just this week -late  April 2022- I found a workable solution by chance. If the Levels tab disappears, just click and hold down the Adjustments  pallette and drag it out of the right column Studio panel list. You'll immediately notice the Levels tab reappears as you drag it into the app working window. Just hold it for a few seconds then release the mouse and drop the pallette. If the Adjustment tab sticks and stays present , just drag the whole Adjustments pallette back where it came from in the right column Studio , and yer good to go. If it disappears again , just repeat this procedure  until it doesn't.  Only 10 seconds of downtime to fix this annoying little bug.