You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Search bar in Pantone swatches palette

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, thierryteyssier said:

hummmmm right indeed, but UI is not consistent

How so? Are you aware you can set the appearance of the swatches from the Swatches panel menu (red arrow points to it):

59f24b502fb4d_swatchesmenu.png.0404dea4948e02b63fd21b967c802d10.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, thierryteyssier said:

yes I know but my screenshot is not the Swatches panel it is the fill color, top left. And in this dropdown, UI is not consistent with Swatches panel 

On my system, the swatches in both the panel & the dropdown show as a named list if "Show as List" is checked, otherwise as squares. But only the Swatches panel has ever had a search field, & it is working fine.

Do you see something different?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am not sure what you want me to see. The original issue (from 2015) was about the search function not working in the Swatches panel. That was fixed long ago.

But there was never a search field in the Context toolbar's color swatches dropdown, which only appears temporarily when an item that supports fill & stroke colors is selected with a tool that allows setting them. The dropdown can't be resized so you should see a scrollbar when there are more color swatches than will fit in it, like this (although it may appear only when scrolling, depending on your System Preferences settings):

59f3334b186ca_contextdropdown.png.5c38377ab3c7898f57ed4f2575eb6746.png

Since unlike the Studio panel the dropdown is of a fixed size, only appears in some contexts, & won't stay open, there isn't any compelling reason I can think of for the UI to be consistent for both.  

Affinity Photo 

13 minutes ago, thierryteyssier said:

Thanks R C-R,  I just want to say it is unfortunate to not have a search function in the Context toolbar's color especailly for Pantone ;)

Just curious, but how would you want to see this implemented? The Context toolbar dropdown can't be made much larger -- as it is, it already takes up a lot of screen space that on smaller screens obscures the canvas. So if some of that space is devoted to a search field like in the Swatches Studio panel, it would subtract from the area that displays to color swatches, which would mean more scrolling for swatch categories like the Pantone ones that have a lot of entries.

Personally, I would find that annoying. I much prefer to use the Swatches panel for that, in part because it can be resized as needed and/or dragged out of the Studio to become a 'floating' panel when that is more convenient. Floating panels can be collapsed to just their titlebars by double-clicking on their title bar names & restored to full size with a single click on the collapsed titlebar, which makes it quick & easy to collapse them when they would obscure the work area & open them back up when needed.

Affinity Photo 

Not more larger, but just add a search box, for example below the select box.

But I understand your point in this case why not just remove, in dropdown, the pantones because it is impossible to use it without search box...

And another point, and it is true for other tools as well, why propose the same feature in both areas? Why transform is not present as well.... So my point is ok to propose the same feature but with the same user experience...

28 minutes ago, thierryteyssier said:

Not more larger, but just add a search box, for example below the select box.

That still subtracts from the space available for the swatches.

29 minutes ago, thierryteyssier said:

And another point, and it is true for other tools as well, why propose the same feature in both areas?

Because the features are not the same in both places. Among other things, anything in the Context toolbar is (not surprisingly!) context dependent & therefore transitory. For Studio panels, not only are they available regardless of the tool context, they can be resized, hidden, floated and/or grouped with other panels, & many provide features the Context toolbar versions lack.

Regarding the Pantone choices in the Context toolbar dropdown, have you never just chosen one based on the displayed color of the swatch? Or, approaching it from the other way around (so to speak) if you know in advance which Pantone colors you want to use, why not use the <ahem> Swatches panel to create a custom document or application palette to simplify selecting the one you want to use from either place?

Affinity Photo 

Regarding Pantone, I know its number because I use a formula guide.... but agreed It's just a question of habit. ....

Regarding Context toolbar, for example if i work and select a simple rectangle why I can change its fill color but not its position with the context toolbar?

• 2 years later...

----- Search Control

NOTE: Search Control performs a Type-ahead Dynamic Search for Swatches that may exist within the selected Swatch Category.

NOTE: Pressing the X in a Circle at the End of the Search Control will select all Swatches in the selected Swatch Category.

NOTE: The Search Control may appear to not function, if the the Swatch Name is not known or is mistyped in the Search Box. The Names of Swatches can be found and documented by loading all the selected Category Swatches and mousing over each Swatch to reveal its Name.

Edited by flyinglentris
mistype