You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On Selecting Multiple Non-Consecutive Lines

I've been aware of this one for sometime, through quite a few versions.
Me culpa for not reporting it earlier.
Unfortunately, it's intermittent, but, even so, appears recently to have got worse.
If I am reproducing, say, lines of poetry, it is easier to read if you indent each alternate line.
Having pasted in the block of verses, I then go back and highlight alternate lines, swiping the text holding down the </ctl> key.  That allows me to indent the selected lines - or not.  Sometimes it worked fine ... but always if you kept down the no of selected lines to about five or six.
Even then, quite frequently and without any warning, Publisher utterly collapses and I am left facing the desktop.  There are no error messages.  No fond farewells. Nothing.

Any one else notice this?

Publisher Version: 1.9.2.1035
Windows 10: 20H2  Build:  19042.1083

I have never noticed that, but then I didn't even realize one could select multiple non-consecutive lines. Thanks for mentioning that.

I'm curious why you're holding Ctrl+C, and what that accomplishes. In a brief experiment I can do the multi-select just holding Ctrl.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ah! You spotted my deliberate mistake.  You must've read it before I amemnded it later.
I actually meant to say the </Ctl> key. and NOT </Ctl>C
Sorry for the confusion.

Truth be told, I didn't realise you could do that either until I discovered you could in Word and tried it on Publisher ... and Sapristi! It worked.

Well, sort of.  😉

17 hours ago, Suetonius said:

and Sapristi! 

Like this one! :D

I tried what you said and had no crash. Is this happening with every document or with a specific one? Or maybe upload a sample document.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hi Joachim
The problem is (or at least My problem is) that the darned thing seems so intermittent.
It's a technique that, once discovered, I use frequently.  It happens with any document, not just one.
The only thing I didn't mention, and I can't see why it should make any difference, is that the text is usually imported via cut and paste from other media ... usually Word.
The one thing is that the larger the number of lines selected, the more likely the crash becomes.
I still use it, but have got into the habit of saving just before I do.