You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with Nik Collection 4

I have updated to the Nik Collection 4 and its working fine with the retail version of affinity photo. See first Screenshot.

But with the beta(1.10.0.247) there is serious problem, especially with Silver Efex and Viveza. The Footline is not displayed and so the filters not usable. Second Screenshot.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-05 um 08.46.47.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-05 um 08.53.47.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff

Hey j3rry,

It's usually the other way around I believe - or at least it is if you're using the App Store version due ot sandboxing. 

I'm not sure if it's us or them. It looks like they haven't updated their support page for a while as they are still referencing 1.8. We are on 1.9 now or 1.10 beta. They may not have even tested it and I haven't seen any other feedback from other users yet.

I assume your sig is still correct and you're on the 2019 iMac and not an M1?

Hi Chris, yes my Sig is correct and show the actual state. I use the Affinity Photo version from the affinity store. What makes me wondering is that with the retail version is all fine, only with beta the problem occurs…

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff

I'll see if I can grab a trial and see what happens. I think we've spoken with them in the past so I'll see if we have a contact or something. I can't recall if we 'officially' support it or not but I think for the most part it usually just works.

I can confirm the same thing happens with beta(1.10.0.247) on Mac mini M1 (2020), Big Sur 11.4. The only work around I have found is Viveza  3 or Silver Efex Pro 3 in Nik Collection 4.1 is from either of those apps do a File-->Save As and then copy the file back into Affinity Photo to continue working with. Other apps in Nik Collection 4.1 work fine.  Silver Efex Pro and Viveza were the only two apps, I believe, were the only two apps to be updated in Nik Collection 4.  Both are working fine in the 1.9.3 release of Affinity Photo. My copy of Affinity Photo came from the Affinity Store. Thought maybe having that info might help too Chris B.

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

If you have an M1, you likely need to use Rosetta:

Yes, I am. in Affinity Photo release 1.9.3 (from Affinity Store) with opening in Rosetta checked on everything works fine. On the Beta 1.10.0.247 with opening in Rosetta checked on I see the same results at j3rry noted with Silver Efex Pro 3 and Viveza 3. Other Nik apps in the Nik 4.1 release work fine under Beta 1.10.0.247. In Nik Collect 4 series Silver Efex Pro and Viveza were the only two apps modified. And, in checking running Because of that I think it is likely whatever changes they made to those two apps created the problem. 

I also tested calling both Silver Efex Pro 3 and Viveza 3 from DxO PhotoLab 4 (4.3.1) and the problem does not appear.  DxO PhotoLab is not a M1 native app.

I double checked everything before submitting this response. Hope this information is of some use.

UPDATED: Chris B, was thinking about this so I started up Silver Efex Pro 3 and Viveza 3 in standalone mode and saw that the situation we are seeing with the bottom bar not being shown is the way both of these apps open when opened in standalone mode. So, it looks like DxO probably is doing some pre-check at launch time to see if it is being launched from a host or being run standalone and when it runs from Affinity Photo as the host it thinks it is running in standalone mode. And, I think that would explain why the save button then can't be used when running from Affinity Photo because the app doesn't know where to save to the file too. If that is true then perhaps DxO needs to start recognizing Affinity photo as a host since a good number of people are using Nik Collection from Affinity Photo.

Peace

Marvin

Confirm problem still exist with 1.10.0.250 - RC1 on Mac mini M1 (2020), Big Sur 11.4, with both Silver Efex Pro 3 and Viveza 3. Situation same as described on July 13.

Peace

Marvin

38 minutes ago, Andy Somerfield said:

If I were to guess, I'd say the plugin is detecting whether we are a host by looking at the process name - "Affinity Photo" vs. "Affinity Photo Beta".

A

That absolutely makes sense to me. You put my mind at ease Andy.

Peace

Marvin

18 hours ago, Andy Somerfield said:

If I were to guess, I'd say the plugin is detecting whether we are a host by looking at the process name - "Affinity Photo" vs. "Affinity Photo Beta".

A

I hope you are right

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.