You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.10.0.247)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, improvements and fixes.

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download ZIP: Download

Auto-update: Available

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the second build of Affinity Photo 1.10.0 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.9.3 version recently released to all customers (although it still installs parallel to the released version, as described above). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

The changes in the 1.9.4 betas have been rolled into 1.10.

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes Since Previous Beta

- Added CR3 support for Canon EOS 850D.
- Emoji improvements and fixes.
- Improved gradient fill noise rendering.
- Lens correction improvements for Canon / Tamron / Sigma lenses.

- Fixed crash when using monochrome FITS bayer pattern.
- Fixed issues when refining a selection and outputting as a new layer with mask.
- Fixed mesh warp issues.
- Fixed issue which was preventing accurate selection of pixel layers.
- Fixed crop tool issue where all presets were landscape.
- Fixed Apply Image when used on masks.
- Fixed TIFF DPI issues.
- Fixed numerous sharpen brush tool issues.
- Fixed crash when rearranging swatches.
- Fixed issues when pasting pixel layers into larger documents.

- Assorted small fixes.
- Localisation improvements.

Changes Since 1.9.3

- Added support for emoji 😃👌😻.
- Added the ability to load ACM lens profiles.
- Assorted improvements to astro stacking, including the ability to edit the names of stacked images and the ability to stack images for different filters simultaneously. 
- Fixed issues opening some DNG files.

- Serif Labs RAW engine improvements.
- Assorted astro stacking improvements and fixes.
- Fixed Nikon D780 Raw loading when using Serif Labs engine.
- Attempted fix for occasional flickering of rendered document.
- Fixed crash when deleting a procedural texture constant while the cursor is still in the description text field.
- Fixed erratic behaviour with placed images.
- Fixed missing controls when procedural texture dialog is in non-English.
- Fixed crash when macro recording selected layer change in Japanese UI.
- Fixed lockups when loading certain PSD documents with smart objects enabled.
- Added the ability to open FITS files directly, with control over demosaicing.

- Performance and memory usage improvements when using placed images.
- Performance and memory usage improvements when using embedded documents.
- PDF import and export improvements.
- Significant performance improvements in low memory situations.

- Fixed small visual issues when switching back to templates from presets in the new document panel.
- Fixed gradient map adjustment rendering issues.
- Fixed expression input issues with decimal separators other than ".".
- Fixed issue whereby ISO speed was incorrectly reported for some images.

- Help improvements.

- Added support for Xtrans sensor images in astro stacking.
- Added GPU acceleration for blending ranges (in Advanced Blending).
- Further, significant, performance improvements for documents with many layers.
- Significant performance improvements when converting documents between ICC profiles / pixel formats.

- Fixed performance issues with previous build with certain GPUs.
- Fixed spare channel / mask editing.

- Assorted metadata panel tweaks.
- Further panorama stitching performance tweaks.

- Added a new "median" mode to the frequency separation filter.
- The gradient map adjustment now has a GPU implementation.

- Restored the GPU rendering improvements which were dropped towards the end of the 1.9.2 beta. The benchmark version is once again set to 1920.
- Improve performance when manipulating the selected layer immediately after loading a document.
- Significant performance improvements in low-memory situations, reducing use of the swap file.
- Panorama stitching performance improvements.
- Significant performance improvements for documents which contain flattened, opaque layers (usually the result of merge visible).
- Render EXIF exposure time as decimal if above 1.

- Fixed F-number always showing as "f/0" for Leica M-series cameras (and others).
- Fixed issue whereby LUTs would incorrectly report "Identity" as the description.
- Fixed potential crash when quitting with layers still on the clipboard.
- Fixed performance issues with CMYK documents when GPU acceleration is enabled.

- Assorted small fixes.
- Localisation improvements.

This version crashes immediately for me after I open this AP Beta 1.10.X Changes v2.afphoto file & try to add the number 7 after the 1.10.0.24 text.

What i usually do is duplicate the text block with the previous beta changes info (which is why it shows the changes since beta 1.10.0.244) & then replace the bits like above so I have a document with the changes for both.

Affinity Photo Beta_2021-07-02-125739.crash

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

This version crashes immediately for me after I open this AP Beta 1.10.X Changes v2.afphoto file & try to add the number 7 after the 1.10.0.24 text.

No problem here. I have my performance settings like this (due to problems with screen glitches)

View quality Bilinear

Dither Gradiants  on

Precise clipping off

File recovery 300 seconds

Display Metal

integrated GPU off

Automatic

Enable Metal compute off

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

No problem here. I have my performance settings like this (due to problems with screen glitches)

View quality Bilinear

Dither Gradiants  on

Precise clipping off

File recovery 300 seconds

Display Metal

integrated GPU off

Automatic

Enable Metal compute off

Hmmm. I tried various combinations of performance settings, including matching yours, but it still crashes the moment I try to add a 7 to the 1.10.0.24 Changes paragraph using my Heading 1 style, or for that matter now any time I try to edit any of the paragraphs of that text by inserting anything anywhere in any of them.

If nobody else can duplicate this I guess I can try resetting the app to factory defaults, but I hate doing that unnecessarily because of all the work it takes to get back to how I had it set up.

EDIT: one further thought about this. I used the Auto-update feature to install this beta. I am going to try replacing it with a manually downloaded one & see if that makes any difference.

EDIT 2: Nope. Still crashes. 😧

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I bit the bullet & reset most of the app to factory defaults -- probably more than I needed to -- but I am now crash free.

Still tons of work to do to get everything back to how it was in the last beta, but at least it seems to be working now.

Affinity Photo 

Affinity Photo Beta 1.10.0.247 crashes whenever I type into the Artistic Text tool field. I've tried a few previously edited .afphoto files and with a new blank document. I guess I will go back to 1.10.0.246 which did not do this. I installed via the startup notification that a new version was available.

Any other information needed?

TIA - John 

Affinity Photo Beta_2021-07-02-213041_Johns-MacBook-Pro.crash

Edited by jdvoracek
Added crash file

2 minutes ago, jdvoracek said:

Affinity Photo Beta 1.10.0.247 crashes whenever I type into the Artistic Text tool field.

For me, it was crashing when I edited text in any way in either an artistic text or frame text layer. As I said above, the cure was to reset several items to factory defaults, which is done by starting up the app with the Control key held down, & then checking boxes in the window that opens. On Macs, if you have the app in the Dock, you can right-click on it & then with the Control key held down, select "Open" from the menu that pops up.

You should get a window that looks like this:

1934242360_Clearfatawindow.jpg.d5afe8d49e9471f3cae1a7606a2610f3.jpg

I cannot remember exactly how many of these I selected but I for sure selected Clear User Defaults, Reset Text Styles, & Reset Font Replacements. I suspect only using Clear User Defaults probably would have been enough but I was too impatient to test with only that.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

For me, it was crashing when I edited text in any way in either an artistic text or frame text layer. As I said above, the cure was to reset several items to factory defaults, which is done by starting up the app with the Control key held down, & then checking boxes in the window that opens. On Macs, if you have the app in the Dock, you can right-click on it & then with the Control key held down, select "Open" from the menu that pops up.

I cannot remember exactly how many of these I selected but I for sure selected Clear User Defaults, Reset Text Styles, & Reset Font Replacements. I suspect only using Clear User Defaults probably would have been enough but I was too impatient to test with only that.

I cleared only the first three, and that stopped the crashing. What is weird, I don't remember really changing anything other than adding the Info panel to my studio. Otherwise I just use the default tool setup, studio, etc. I didn't realize what you experienced was fundamentally the same issue. Anyway, thanks!

Just now, jdvoracek said:

What is weird, I don't remember really changing anything other than adding the Info panel to my studio.

Nothing that we users can change from within the app should make it necessary to reset anything to factory defaults, but the reality is there are enough bugs in these apps that on occasion just doing some simple task leaves one or more of the support files in a damaged enough state that it needs to be overwritten with a factory-fresh default version.

Affinity Photo 

I started the beta the first time with a clear user data because of the problems I had/have with the Publisher beta.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

New in this beta is for me, copying a layer and pasting it into another open document, causes multiple beachballs. Sometimes when I paste I get a layer with nothing in it, a second paste then results in the layer content. This seems to happen in the same circumstance I see other issues: VM is up to 14GB and I have been using the app for a while.

Device: Apple M1 Ultra 64GB Ventura 13.0.1 Apple Studio Display

- Andrew

@R C-R Yes, your test file would crash for me too typing in 7.
Cleared just User Defaults and as you suspected that’s all it took to fix the crashing.
Curious…

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

11 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I started the beta the first time with a clear user data because of the problems I had/have with the Publisher beta.

I try to avoid using clear user data unless absolutely necessary mostly because it is such a PITA to restore everything in the UI to the way I like it & because I have never been sure about everything that option clears.

For the betas, I also think that is something we should be checking -- if more than a few of us have to use it to prevent the betas from crashing, then that could indicate there is something wrong with the installer or update mechanism, or possibly with a previous beta, that somehow corrupts some of the user data.

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, Florida said:

New in this beta is for me, copying a layer and pasting it into another open document, causes multiple beachballs. Sometimes when I paste I get a layer with nothing in it, a second paste then results in the layer content. This seems to happen in the same circumstance I see other issues: VM is up to 14GB and I have been using the app for a while.

Have you tried clearing user data? This has eliminated certain issues for some of us.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
15 minutes ago, csp said:

this build has performance issues for me it is unusual laggy 

Hey csp,

Can you go into detail? Do you have a document that we can look at? Which version of the app was seemingly running ok? I have them all so I'm happy to look into this for you.

I start from a fresh launch. I load 6 9k png images (5 of them are mostly clear pixels). VM is now at 4GB. I start copying each of 5 of them into the 6th - each copy results in a beachball of 5 secs or so, sometimes the UI locks up and no beachball. Then I switch to the 6th and paste, which sometimes results in a beachball too, sometimes just works, occasionally results in a completely clear layer (and then works on second try). After all 5 are copied VM is at 7GB. Now I delete the 5 documents and VM drops to just under 4GB. After resting for a minute the VM goes up to 4.5GB (I did not do anything).

Not sure how your app manages memory, but copying a layer from one document to another should not beachball (9K is not that big). This was never an issue before the previous production release. The load on my iMac is low, there is plenty of free RAM. If I had the code I could fix it 🙂

- Andrew

3 minutes ago, Florida said:

I start from a fresh launch. I load 6 9k png images (5 of them are mostly clear pixels).

If possible could you zip up the 6 png files & attach that to a post so others can test with them?

FWIW, I tried copying each of 5 png files that each were > 150 kb into another 150+ kb file & there was no discernible lag at all. I did not check VM use but since the Mac OS doesn't automatically purge it until 'memory pressure' is high enough to require it, I doubt that would have shown anything of interest.  

Affinity Photo 

The 5 I copied from are 1.5MB, the original is 204MB. I will see if I can make something reproducible that isn't my work product. All of the images are 9000x9000 in size.

- Andrew

3 minutes ago, Florida said:

The 5 I copied from are 1.5MB, the original is 204MB.

I'm a bit confused. I thought you said earlier that you were using six png files, each one 9k.

Are you copying & pasting from five 1.5MB png files, each one open in a different window or tab in the AP beta, & pasting each of them into a sixth file open in AP that is 204MB, or doing something else?

Affinity Photo 

OK here is a test set. 1 large png and 5 mostly transparent ones. (1) Run beta (2) drag all 6 into beta to load (3) go to one of the smaller ones and copy (4) paste into the big one (5) repeat for the others

I just tried this process and got a beachball for each copy, one of the pasted layers had zero content, the others showed up.

Note I am using Metal on an 16GB iMac 5K with Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

by 9K I meant pixels across X down, sorry

tests.zip

- Andrew

33 minutes ago, Florida said:

OK here is a test set. 1 large png and 5 mostly transparent ones. (1) Run beta (2) drag all 6 into beta to load (3) go to one of the smaller ones and copy (4) paste into the big one (5) repeat for the others

I copied each of the 2.2MB png "Background" layers open in their own AP tab & in turn pasted them into the larger 'fullimage' document in its own tab. Same result as with my previous test using 150K files -- everything pasted with no discernible lag, no beachballs, & each pasted with the correct content.

I redid this several times, including after renaming each Background layer of the 2.2MB files to match the name of the png they came from, this to rule out accidentally pasting the same one more than once, so the Layers panel looks like this:

1694966251_layerspanel.jpg.604714616f60e913415f0f53fd3e2a9c.jpg

During this process total memory use for the AP beta maxed out at about 8.5 GB but 'memory pressure' as reported by Activity Monitor barely rippled above its idle value. I have more RAM installed in my iMac than you do in yours but I doubt this makes much difference.

EDIT: the resultant AP beta file (113MB) fullimage plus pastes.afphoto

Affinity Photo 

I wonder if it's related to the video card, though I would think a simple copy paste would not involve Metal much if at all. Your experience performance wise is what used to happen in earlier release versions for me. There must be some difference since I can repro this every time...

- Andrew

1 minute ago, Florida said:

There must be some difference since I can repro this every time...

You might try resetting the beta to factory defaults to see if that helps -- possibly only clearing user defaults. That has worked for some users.

Affinity Photo 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.