You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need Screen Measurement Apps for MacOS

Sorry, this isn't really an Affinity question ...more for graphic artist and photographer USERS of the Affinity software.

I have been using Serif and now Affinity programs for YEARS. The problem at this point is that I am switching from a Windows 10 PC to a MacBook Air (M1). I bit the bullet and purchased the Mac versions of all three programs -- thank goodness for the recent 50% discount sale!! For years I have been using a trio of "screen apps" while working in Photo, Designer and Publisher: Screen Calipers, Compass and Protractor by Iconico Software. Unfortunately, Iconico does not offer these for MacOS.

I would appreciate any and all recommendations for pro-level MacOS apps. If this is not an approved place to be asking this question, please point me toward an appropriate forum. I am a home-grown and self-educated graphic guy working at home so don't really know where users of Photo, PhotoShop, Designer, etc hang out online.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!  Jim

Welcome to the dark side! There's an app called PixelSnap that is 'pro level'. 

You can also find this app for free on Setapp, a $10 subscription services that lets you download any number of apps. The apps are curated and I personally use 26 of them, that's how useful they are to me. I highly recommend trying it out.

605440985_ScreenShot2021-07-01at9_44_45AM.png.85473e5cc6448db44ea2d6e3f9fa58a6.png

18 minutes ago, Shep Jim said:

I would appreciate any and all recommendations for pro-level MacOS apps.

Pro-level will mean many different things to different people.

But to start I would check the Mac App Store and type Protractor or Ruler into the search box as a starting point. There are a few free things. That Iconico site seems quite old, blog post from 2012 is the most recent.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I’ve sworn by xScope by The Icon Factory for this kind of functionality for years. https://xscopeapp.com You can set the angle of the rulers, set/move guides anywhere on screen, magnify/inspect, pick colours, take measurement/screenshots, etc. 

3 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

I’ve sworn by xScope by The Icon Factory for this kind of functionality for years. https://xscopeapp.com You can set the angle of the rulers, set/move guides anywhere on screen, magnify/inspect, pick colours, take measurement/screenshots, etc. 

+1 for XScope.

Another app is PixelStick

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

WoW! Thank you guys for jumping in so quickly with such good suggestions

I had seen PixelSnap in passing a few days ago. I think I'll sign up for the free trial of Setapp (saw it referred to as the "Netflix of Mac apps") -- that'll give me the chance to trial PixelSnap while also assessing how much more in Setapp will get used in my workflow. I have to say that these days my guard hairs raise up whenever I hear or read "Only $##.## a month". I've lost track of how many monthly subscription payments my wife and I are currently making. I make a mighty effort to track and monitor and still my wife will ask, "Do you know what this $11.99 is that's being charged on MasterCard the 4th of every month?" ...and I have no clue!

I'll jump back on here and let you all know how it's going.

Thank you again!  Jim