You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live Paint Bucket Tool Alternative desperatly needed.

Like a lot of other users i really need a tool to fill areas between line drawings. I wanted to switch from AI to Affinity Designer and it generally works great but without an tool like "live paint bucket" its kind of useless for me. I really hope this tool will be added in the near future. 

That it something I would really love to see as well. I have watched a few videos saying to try the Flood Fill tool in the Pixel Persona but I would like to see a VECTOR fill come to Affinity.

23 hours ago, KG17 said:

... I would like to see a VECTOR fill come to Affinity.

Select the vector layer and use the Colour Panel to change the fill's colour. Or am I completely misunderstanding.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

35 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Select the vector layer and use the Colour Panel to change the fill's colour. Or am I completely misunderstanding.

That works for shapes, but the usual reason for requesting this tool, I think, is to deal with a different situation.

Suppose you just draw a bunch of lines on the canvas randomly, and notice an area bounded by 3 of them that you'd like to make green. The lines are not a shape, just three random lines that happen to enclose a space. As far as Affinity is concerned there's nothing to Fill.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
47 minutes ago, gotanidea said:

no other vector illustration software has the feature

Inkscape has a vector bucket fill tool.

VectorStyler has a shape builder tool which can accomplish something similar, but with some caveats.  Indications are that the developer plans on adding a bucket fill feature at some point in the future.

16 hours ago, fde101 said:

Inkscape has a vector bucket fill tool.

VectorStyler has a shape builder tool which can accomplish something similar, but with some caveats.  Indications are that the developer plans on adding a bucket fill feature at some point in the future.

Thanks for the info about VectorStyler. In Inkscape, I made two intersecting open paths, combine them (the one with Ctrl + K hotkey) and try to fill the intersection area using Fill Bounded Area tool (the one with U hotkey), but I get "Area is not bounded. Cannot fill" message. Please see the attached screenshot. Did I use the wrong paint bucket tool?

Open_Paths.jpg

Edited by gotanidea
Forgot to attach a screenshot

On 8/20/2022 at 2:26 AM, gotanidea said:

In Inkscape, I made two intersecting open paths, combine them (the one with Ctrl + K hotkey) and try to fill the intersection area using Fill Bounded Area tool (the one with U hotkey)

I just tried the same, both with and without the "combine" step, and it worked perfectly for me.  I am using version 1.2.1 on the Mac, not sure if there might be a bug in some other release of it?  Either way, that is a discussion probably best moved to the Inkscape forums, as we are straying a bit off topic for the Affinity forums.