You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can we please get an update to the OCIO support in Affinity Photo? OCIO has been updated to OCIO v2 which supports a lot of cool new features including built-in transforms for ACES etc. Currently we cannot use OCIO v2 configs and this is rapidly becoming the standard as Nuke is beginning to integrate it, Maya 2022, Arnold Renderer, Redshift Renderer, both Photoshop/After Effects OCIO plugins and more. It would be great to have it upgraded to use OCIO v2 configs inside of Affinity Photo. Thanks!

https://opencolorio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrading_v2/_index.html#upgrading-to-v2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just realised Affinity is not OCIO v2 compatible, and its a bummer. All 3D renderers and Houdini now OCIO v2.
And since the OCIO system path is SAME for all the apps, and it's v2 for me now, in Affinity OCIO is completely unfunctional :(

So, + 100 please!
Or at least let us choose custom configs even when the OCIO environment variable is present, now it's locked.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For all the people wanting to use AgX on Affinity apps, I have somewhat good news:

MrLixm has forked AgX to work with OCIO v1:
https://github.com/MrLixm/AgXc

The fork works flawlessly for linear rec.709 CG, although it can't yet deal with potential negative values from RAW photos. AFAIK, the lack of clipping methods in OCIO v1 was what made Troy Sobotka use OCIO v2 for AgX.

So, it's not a perfect solution and it might present some issues when working with photographs, but for the people who want to edit their EXR renders in Affinity Photo with the AgX view or OCIO layer transforms, it will be a good temporary solution until Affinity are upgraded to OCIO v2.

Hope this helps!

53 minutes ago, Guillermo Espertino said:

For all the people wanting to use AgX on Affinity apps, I have somewhat good news:

The fork works flawlessly for linear rec.709 CG, although it can't yet deal with potential negative values from RAW photos. AFAIK, the lack of clipping methods in OCIO v1 was what made Troy Sobotka use OCIO v2 for AgX.

So, it's not a perfect solution and it might present some issues when working with photographs, but for the people who want to edit their EXR renders in Affinity Photo with the AgX view or OCIO layer transforms, it will be a good temporary solution until Affinity are upgraded to OCIO v2.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I will try it. I see there was even an update 6 hours ago :) I will also post this info into another thread about v2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 10:20 AM, Guillermo Espertino said:

Hope this helps!

Good news, the problem with negative values has been fixed in MrLixm's AgXc

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I can't use AgX to colour correct renders coming from Blender properly. I'd love to do that in Affinity software.

Any news on Affinity Suite supporting OCIO v2?

Edited by allabulle

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi - pleased to say we have now added OCIO v2 support in the latest beta (2.2). We'd really appreciate if you wanted to try it in the beta (sign up to beta program here), but if not this means it won't be too long before it's made available in the release version.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2023 at 1:41 AM, Ash said:

Hi - pleased to say we have now added OCIO v2 support in the latest beta (2.2). We'd really appreciate if you wanted to try it in the beta (sign up to beta program here), but if not this means it won't be too long before it's made available in the release version.

Hey Ash, thank you for the new OCIO v2 support in the latest Affinity 2.2 release. I just gave it a quick test run, and unfortunately, I have to report that the ACES sRGB transform seems to be broken when using the built-in OCIO v2 ACES sRGB functions. You can give it a try using this config which is OCIO v2 and works fine in Nuke/Fusion/Davinci Resolve and many other popular renderers. The Log, and Raw spaces are fine. But the ACES sRGB ODT looks identical to the un-tonemapped output. Which isn't correct.

As a side note, it would be really nice if we had an option when using the file "export" into an LDR image format to apply or reverse a linear gamma to sRGB gamma. As right now exporting say a PNG or JPEG using OCIO adjustment layers will still output the linear gamma instead of taking it back into sRGB Gamma. This washes out the output and makes the process a lot less user-friendly for artists. Whenever you change from 32-bit to 16/8bit in a Photoshop document or output to LDR you have an option for do this, as does the exporting of LDR image formats from an HDR image. This would make working with OCIO much better when users are ready for final export to an LDR image format after doing their color correction or compositing work in 32-bit.

Example images and OCIO v1 + LUT folder config (working) and OCIO v2 config (not working fully), along with the LDR image export from HDR image format Gamma issue I mentioned above. Thanks!

export_to_LDR_gamma_issue.jpg

OCIO_v1_Config_Correct.jpg

OCIO_v2_Config_Wrong.jpg

cong_ocio_v2.ocio OCIO_v1_Config_and_LUT_Folder.zip