You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How-to convince Publisher (and Designer) NOT do that!

How do I prevent/avoid, that Affinity Publisher automatically grabs the "load-task", when I double click on a Canon CR3 file (Mac Big Sur Intel and M1)?

I've just recently bought a Canon EOS 90D delivering CR3 files, so... how does Publisher get the idea, that it is the absolutely best application to load a CR3 file? It is not by any measure (it takes for forever to even get started, if it succeeds at all - even on M1 silicon). There are lot's of alternatives that are better suited for the task on my machines.

So, HOW do I convince Publisher 1.9.3, that it is NOT my default application for handling these files?

Photo would be more appropriate, but the only time where Publisher doesn't kick in, Designer sometimes decides that it simply has to handle CR3 files, which it - obviously - is not ideally suited to either. Those up to around 48 megabyte Canon RAW files scream for more optimised handling.

There may be an easy way, if I just knew where to look (dabbing around in System Settings and it's small gazillion of options seems to me to be a sure waste of time ;-) 

Bonjour @kfriis
il est possible de recréer les associations fichiers/application en éditant les informations du fichier et en définissant l'application qui ouvre ce fichier.

Hi @kfriis
it is possible to recreate the file/application associations by editing the file information and defining the application that opens this file.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

Find one of your CR3 files in Finder.
Single right click on it.
Choose Get Info.
Near the bottom of the window that opens is an entry for ‘Open With…’
Click on that and from the popup choose which app you want to open this type of file.
Once you’ve selected an app click on the ‘Change All’ button.
You will be asked if you really want to do this, confirm by clicking ‘Continue’.
Now any existing or new CR3 files should default to opening with your chosen app.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

On 6/30/2021 at 8:19 AM, kfriis said:

I've just recently bought a Canon EOS 90D delivering CR3 files, so... how does Publisher get the idea, that it is the absolutely best application to load a CR3 file?

FWIW, it isn't Publisher that does this, at least not directly. The macOS assigns a default app to open each file type, based in part on what each app declares to the OS that it can open. When several apps declare they can open a particular type of file, the OS typically assigns the default based on the last one installed, unless (as others have explained) the user changes the default.

Note as well that this can be done for individual files as well as for all of a type, so it is possible to set one or a few .CR3 files to default to opening in AP while the rest of them open in Apple Photos, not that you would typivally want to do that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/30/2021 at 3:30 PM, markw said:

Find one of your CR3 files in Finder.
Single right click on it.
Choose Get Info.
Near the bottom of the window that opens is an entry for ‘Open With…’
Click on that and from the popup choose which app you want to open this type of file.
Once you’ve selected an app click on the ‘Change All’ button.
You will be asked if you really want to do this, confirm by clicking ‘Continue’.
Now any existing or new CR3 files should default to opening with your chosen app.

Thank you. That really helped a lot. I should have discovered the option, alas... on my M1 system with the latest Big Sur, the "Open With..." item was not expanded by default; making the option easier to overlook (at least by me - I'm not a good look'er - ahem ;-)

Regards

On 7/1/2021 at 5:21 PM, R C-R said:

Re: "not that you would typivally want to do that."

Maybe, but I want the standard Apple Image Viewer (or whatever it is called locally - in my country it is called "Billedfremviser" (also handles PDF) - as default (as well as I want QuickTime as default for all video files).

The reason is simple: Many, if not most Apps use Apples RAW library anyway - I know, there are exceptions - and for quick inspections/sorting/culling etc. I use the "Picture Viewer" (not Photos). If I by accident double click on a CR3 file, Publisher decided to take over, and starting Publisher is even on speedy M1 gear an "acquired taste"; each time you could as well go for a coffee in the kitchen (a few yards away), before you get the option to close the app (and tell it, that you do not want to save... sigh).

As I have several applications for all file types (image, video, audio etc. "raw" material), there are no obvious defaults, and most serious work on newly imported media involve a quick view (only exception is really Import into Lightroom), but in many cases, I extract several (sub)directories from my NAS, and a quick preview on historical material, that is not readily present in my mind either, will be in order, BEFORE I select the subset(s) to import to local Thunderbolt SSD('s) including the associated Lightroom libraries (their nature makes any "substantial" copy a test of my patience ;-)

For videos, it's more a pre-sorting stage, where I decide what to include in a current or newly created FCPX or Resolve video project, often amounting to hundreds of gigabytes of raw footage to be "imported" from an even larger set of available single (sub)project material present in my NAS raw cuttings directory (named to be easily found, based on project name, date and time etc.). You just don't kick a weeks or even more days of raw recordings into your local Thunderbolt SSD's on the off chance, that most of it will find use in a video project ;-)

The Apple Viewer is actually the fastest initial selection option, I have found for my specific use cases, and since it has full access to all macOS decoding libraries for God knows how many image, video, sound etc. format things really fly, when they have to.

Just my personal view. Your milage may vary!

But... thank you for your efforts. Your advice was appreciated.

37 minutes ago, kfriis said:

Maybe, but I want the standard Apple Image Viewer (or whatever it is called locally - in my country it is called "Billedfremviser" (also handles PDF) - as default (as well as I want QuickTime as default for all video files).

I think you may mean what in English is called the Mac Preview app. You can set that as the default if you want (but I think you may have to do it separately for each RAW filetype). 

If all you want is a way to see what the photo would look like if developed with the Apple RAW engine, it may be even faster to just use Quick View but like Preview it won't permit any editing until the file is developed using the Apple engine defaults.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 7/8/2021 at 1:10 AM, R C-R said:

I think you may mean what in English is called the Mac Preview app. You can set that as the default if you want (but I think you may have to do it separately for each RAW filetype). 

If all you want is a way to see what the photo would look like if developed with the Apple RAW engine, it may be even faster to just use Quick View but like Preview it won't permit any editing until the file is developed using the Apple engine defaults.

It's not, that I specifically want to see, what "things" look like with the Apple RAW Engine, unless, we're talking iPhone ProRAW files, where Apple actually is THEE authority. And anyone experiencing Adobe's wacky, initial implementation of that in Lightroom (Classic) and Photoshop (desktop) know, what I talk about.

The reason for selecting the previewer is simply, that it's fast. You can "scream" through dozens of images in "no time" - try that with Affinity (any of them) on material from - let's say - a February 2011, visit to Taiwan. Lightroom catalogs are not present on my local computer, and importing that along with 5-6.000 images from NAS to local disk, is not necessarily the best initial solution. Especially, when it suddenly dawns on you - while skimming through images from Chiang Kai Shek memorial hall and gardens - that you really wanted to look at - again, let's say - a visit to one of the several Palaces in Seoul during your travel through South Korea September the same year. But... where was it now... Again, you don't "just" kick Lightroom Classic along for historical material, that only is stored on NAS (Lightroom Classic STILL cannot read networked catalogues directly) - and of course backed up to several generations of off-line storage.

There are third party tools, but most are not really more or that flexible in real life use, and "public domain" RAW support even lets far more to be desired, than Apples RAW implementations ever have.

After previewing this, that and the other, deciding on what to include, I can start importing for local use. With roughly 150.000+ thousand RAW images for travel alone (since 2004, plus roughly the same amount of family images) after culling, I appreciate, that I started out with a directory based (sub)project structure including leading "YYYY-MM-DD travel-project" organisation (each top level with it's own Lightroom catalogue). I yet have to need to combine, Day Of The Dead celebrations from Atzompa Cemetery at midnight in Oaxaca in Mexico, with a Chingay Parade in Singapore, Jungle Trek in Peru's Amazonas region, Christmas Carols in the streets of Sydney, Calcio Storico rough and tumble finals in Plaza Santa Croce in Firenze (like rugby and Thai boxing combined) and the Carneval in Santa Cruz de Tenerife etc. so...

It's not the Apple RAW Library per se, I crave; it's the speed. Although compared to a lot of the crap released as "RAW" handling solutions (free or not), I'd take Apple's solution any day. There are a few - extremely few - alternatives. Especially since the main use case in this case is mostly "BEFORE editing or use" selection of material, or just refreshing my memory on main content by "dabbing around" within typically 2-4.000 remaining travel images in long time store. Or a hundred or so video snippets to whole "experiences", where it's not really feasible to kick FCPX or Resolve into action, instead of just using Quicktime to very quickly skim through a LOT of videos from - let's say - a long gone Sunday in Paris, where farmers had filled Champs-Elysée completely from near Arc de Triomphe to around Av. Franklin D. Roosevelt with their version of a green future, cowfarts and other "stinks" included. Life (in a twisted way, that only video can thoroughly show in all it's scary details ;-).

You've probably guessed by now, that my approach is not ART, but leans more toward travel and reportage in it's widest sense. Numerous images and videos each day of travel and hundreds to a few thousand "recordings" (audio, video, stills) for each event, instead of a few carefully orchestrated landscapes (I don't think I've ever used more than a few seconds on a motif; AFTER the initial quick images and video and/or sound snippets ;-)

Regards

Edited by kfriis
Misspellings corrected

4 hours ago, kfriis said:

The reason for selecting the previewer is simply, that it's fast.

Yes, I get that. But the tradeoff for that speed is that for RAW files it may give you the impression that a photo isn't worth saving when in fact, by tweaking a few development settings, it might be turned into a keeper.

IOW, the advantage of shooting RAW is that you are not limited to developing it in just one 'standard' way that is unlikely to be the best one for every shot.

Affinity Photo 

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

Yes, I get that. But the tradeoff for that speed is that for RAW files it may give you the impression that a photo isn't worth saving when in fact, by tweaking a few development settings, it might be turned into a keeper.

IOW, the advantage of shooting RAW is that you are not limited to developing it in just one 'standard' way that is unlikely to be the best one for every shot.

You seem to assume, that I use the Previewer for culling?

I do not need to cull historic material, but I very often need to see, if I'm on the right track, when hunting for a 5, 10 or 15 year old image (or set of NAS stored images). Preview is perfectly good at that. Affinity Photo, Designer or Publisher are not tools, I would choose for that task.

On my 4k screen, I can even recognise several people, their faces and whatnot (OK, screen is only 8 megapixel, alas so was a lot of my images until around 2008-9)! Or read street signs. I often used photos of signs as location markers, before GPS was easily available for general use on inner-city walkabouts. And I still do this, from time to time, with my big "real cameras" (if I'm not in the mood to stop what I'm doing and fish out my smartphone to take a photo, thereby saving the exact location for later use). Since I do not read traditional or simplified Chinese, Hangul, arabic or Thai etc., it's nice to have an image for later OCR translation into Spanish, English, French or German - whatever works best on the day. Trying to sync GPS data after the fact seldom works in real life, and a constant smartphone GPS tracking in a city over a whole day needs connection to a power bank. Have tried. Not practical.

OK, I do use Previewer for rough culling, when traveling.

Nothing special. Just the odd accidental images of my shoes in gravel, sand, water, streets etc. (seldom intended), or empty sky, no focus at all, and all the other little accidents, that a trigger-happy finger may lead to.

As a general rule, I never, ever delete any images (except the above clear cut cases) while traveling.

I have grown accustomed to the fact, that even if I "schlepp" 10.000-15.000 images and 2-300 videos plus loads of sound samples back, I do not get charged for extra weight on intercontinental flights, compared to only returning with the bare essentials in numbers; which I found out early in 2004-2005 seldom was the most optimal solution (since "bare" seldom resulted in "all" the essentials - luckily I always had backups, so... therefore I know for certain ;-)

Culling is something I do, when I have arrived home safely, and have all my tools, computers and whatnot at hand. The "remains" are stored, backed up to NAS and offline backups, and never, ever "culled" at a later time (no need).

Highly preferable to - for example - start culling in a long boat two hours out from Puerto Maldonado "flying" past trigger-happy (so I was told) illegal gold diggers lining Rio Madre de Dios, or on the return flight via Cuzco to Lima, for transfer to a flight to Amsterdam, with a final transfer to my destination. I prefer the more tranquil - and far, far safer - environment of my home for the culling phase. It - somehow - tend to make my judgement more deliberate and thoughtful ;-)

I still insist on using Previewer for my go-to, quick and dirty hunting tool, in order to find, what I need to find for one kind of use or other.

You may have other needs. Fine with me, but do NOT assume or even conclude, the resulting outcome of my approach, without having the basic facts.

Regards

4 minutes ago, kfriis said:

You seem to assume, that I use the Previewer for culling?

I did initially, because previously you wrote this:

On 7/7/2021 at 5:04 PM, kfriis said:

The reason is simple: Many, if not most Apps use Apples RAW library anyway - I know, there are exceptions - and for quick inspections/sorting/culling etc. I use the "Picture Viewer" (not Photos).

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I did initially, because previously you wrote this:

And as I explained (culling), this is correct, but serious image culling takes place in a deliberate and thoughtful process, typically in Lightroom (or whatever tool I deem preferable at the time and for the purpose. I've used many over the last 17 years.

When I need to reuse stored material (even if I cannot see the non-destructive processing from a tool), Previewer is still my quickest tool for the purpose (inspection, sorting). If lightroom could read my catalogues directly from NAS, I would use that approach, alas... it can only handle the images stored on NAS, although cross platform use can introduce all sorts of side-effects to adjust at start up. Sigh...

Who said life was easy? Not me.

I am not going to assume anything more about your workflow but have you considered just using Quick View with a Finder window instead of Preview app? You only need to select a file in the Finder window & tap the spacebar to open a large view of it. If you are in list view mode, you can then just use the cursor up/down keys to cycle through every file in the Finder window.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

I am not going to assume anything more about your workflow but have you considered just using Quick View with a Finder window instead of Preview app? You only need to select a file in the Finder window & tap the spacebar to open a large view of it. If you are in list view mode, you can then just use the cursor up/down keys to cycle through every file in the Finder window.

I have, and in some cases, I do. Mostly when the material is locally available on one of my Thunderbolt SSD's.

I often prefer Previewer, since I have more control over, what is included in the selection from a NAS directory with, sometimes, up to some hundred images.

It's not a solid rule, though. The actual approach chosen, is more or less subconscious. If I expect to look into several, maybe well filled, directories, I start by dabbing a bit around in preview, and then maybe, if I discover, that the specific directory has a reasonable number of images, I may use the approach you suggest.

The problem is, that even on a 2.5 Gbit network, a usable size thumbnail creation process will take time, where a few "double clicks" leading to "Preview" here, there and few places more, may render a usable outcome far quicker. With better content detail.

My initial problem was, that I did not discover a way to prevent, that each double click kicked Publisher into action. I always had to use the right mouse click followed by "Open in", and that drove me quite hot under the collar at times, when I forgot in the heat of the moment!

Regards and a big smile