You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggested photo management procedure

Close to buying Affinity Photo. Own a New Macbook Pro. New to toning. Photo enthusiast, not a professional.

Does it make sense to import my DSLR camera's pictures onto folder on desktop? And then work on them in AF and then export them as tifs to another folder on desktop before placing in Photos, so as to order prints and the like?

Hello Ma lou

I would do it the other way around. This is how my workflow (DAMing?  :huh: ) is:

- Import images from camera to an album in Aperture (Photos in your case). I don't put them in the  Aperture library but instead in a regular folder structure on a extern hard drive.

- Select images in Aperture and make overall adjustments - and then export them as tiff's (in Photos go to File -> Export and select TIFF). Save the tiffs in another (clients) folder.

- Open in AFP

-- Magnus

(looking forward to the AFDAM :)

Thanks.

As I understand your answer:

Camera RAW pictures get downloaded into Photos. I then use Affinity Photo develop module to adjust RAW image. Then general module to further tone them. Then save in Photos. Then export a tiff to another album in Photos.

Is this correct?

Almost right ;)

- RAW files is developed in Photos (I use Aperture) - not with the RAW development module in AFP.

If you want to use AFP RAW module you must export (from Photos) the original file (File -> Export -> Export Unmodified Original for...)

- If you want to have the finished image back in Photos, you must export the file as a TIFF from AFP. Then use the import function in Photos.

• 2 months later...

Magnus why do you use Aperture and AFP? I just got AFP to replace Aperture since Apple abandoned it and I am unsure on workflow as well. And where/how to store my pictures. Thanks.

wldo, the main reason for me to still use Aperture is the album/library function. In Aperture I can create albums (both smart and "dumb"), add keywords and rate images with stars. This makes it easier to find images at a later moment.

None of this is possible with AFP. Affinity Photo can just develop the raw file, besides all the awesome photo editing stuff.

My 2 cents:

I download raw files from my camera to a folder tree, which is structured by date.

I then do basic editing with canon's dpp and overwrite the original files. The final raw files stay there forever, or at least until i'm sure i won't need them anymore.

I convert them to tiff to a temporary folder, where i keep them At hand For further processing. I still use dpp to convert mosto of the pics, since i think it handles Digital noise a bit better t'han ap (still experimenting, though), but in some cases i use ap to develop the images since its editing tools are more powerful and flexible.

The subsequent editing work is done in ap. Aphoto files are saved in the temporary folder as well. When the pics come to their final aspect, i move them in my Library.

My Library is, again, a folder tree, structured by year / date / event. I don't like putting my photos into a proprietary database.

Them, i drag a newly added folder to apple's iphoto, where i add a minimum of metadata For easier future retrival (faces, and some album). Should i migrate to a different System in the future (as i did in the last from linux to osx), this Will smash down my migration issues to a minimum.

When the pics move to the archive filesystem structure, aphoto files go to the folder where the corresponding raw files are.

Cheers

Stefano

take care,

stefano