You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyphenation - auto-hyphenation problem

Hello everyone. 

You guys might have the same problem, which is the language of the hyphenation. I am working for a magazine and recently i changed to Affinity Publisher, amazing software and easier for the computer, but when i enter the articles, it doesnt matter how i set up the hyphenation for romanian, it doesnt hyphenate properly and i must intervine and do this manualy for many words. Any chance of of inserting romanian in the spelling section or... what setting do you recommend? In the images below is the settings i used for it that didnt work.

Thank you for your responses in advance

image.png.3c686dd773cfbf9f9fce69dcf9a77e3f.png

image.png.3d44ef9576c404173591f4f4f04c5bf5.png

@Viso13k Maybe this topic could help?

Otherwise unzip the attached file, unpack it and copy the last ro_Ro folder to C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries if you are on Windows.

ro_RO.zip

EDIT: The last 3 values in your screenshot are a bit too large for my taste.

Edited by Joachim_L
Added more information

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I also have a question concerning hyphenation but in cyrillic. I have installed all the files in the right place, and the Publisher recognizes the dictionary and marks all the unknown or misspelled words, but the automatic hyphenation doesn't work at all. Could you help me, please?

Thanks,

Alex

57 minutes ago, AlexT1961 said:

I also have a question concerning hyphenation but in cyrillic. I have installed all the files in the right place, and the Publisher recognizes the dictionary and marks all the unknown or misspelled words, but the automatic hyphenation doesn't work at all. Could you help me, please?

First, Which Affinity application are you using? Only Publisher fully supports automatic hyphenation.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alex Tesic said:

I am using Publisher, as I said. The Latin Serbian works well, but Serbian cyrillic won't.

Yes, you did. Sorry; should have read more carefully.

Does the Serbian Cyrillic get Spellchecked properly? Does it use a different Language specification?

Can you provide a sample document with both, where the Latin works but the Cyrillic doesn't, and the dictionaries you're using?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

30 minutes ago, Alex Tesic said:

Serbian Cyrillic is Spellchecked properly but the hyphenation doesn't work.

Thanks. What does the directory structure look like, and what do the Language specifications in the Character or Paragraph panel look like? I've never seen a naming structure like that for the files.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, Alex Tesic said:

Well, the directory for Cyrillic is sr_Cyr, and for Latin is sr_Latn.

How should it look like, maybe that is the problem?

Thanks. I'll try to play around with it, but probably it will take a couple of days. As for how it should look, what OS do you use?

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 7:44 AM, Alex Tesic said:

Here, I can give you two files, in cyrillic and latin. But have in mind that they were made with the previous version od Publisher. The latest version makes the line tighter.

Thanks, and sorry for the delay.

First, yes, the current release will probably set the lines tighter, as it fixed a bug which ignored negative Tracking values and assumed they were 0. Release 1.10 uses negative tracking values if you've specified them.

I'm afraid I don't know how to fix your problem. I can see, though, that there are some oddities associated with your files or with using your dictionaries. For example, in your file that is Serbian with non-Cyrillic script, the hyphenation language is specified as Latin. That shouldn't be right, as Latin would be the Latin language, not Serbian. Also, while the spell checking for the Cyrillic document might be working, the Language specification for the text in there doesn't look right, either.

So basically I just end up confused trying to look at this, and as I have no experience with dictionaries that use 3-character names rather than 2-character names, and no real idea how the actual language names are specified, I'm afraid I'm not going to be any help.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

@Alex Tesic Can you check the folder and filenames are setup in the correct location like in the screenshot (Windows). Which you can access via Publishers Preferences > Tools.

Use 'sr' as the folder name that contains the .dic and .aff files, the same process should apply to any others you may want to use. As sometimes it can also depend on what MS uses as the locale ID.

Screenshot 2021-09-23 14.40.26.png

Hi, Lee!

The filenames are setup in the correct location like in your screenshot. As you can see in the image below, the dictionary works, but I still have to manually insert "-" at the end of the sentence. But, strangely, in the spelling and the hyphenation language it doesn't say SERBIAN as in yours, but UNKOWN LOCALE.

image.png.55e285043a35fb3102d29df2e64d92cf.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the strangest thing is happening with my above problem. I've got Publisher installed also on my laptop, which is slower then my desktop, and on the laptop everything works perfectly. The dictionary is installed in the same folder as in my desktop computer where it doesn't work. What do you make out of that?