You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Print a tile with multiple sheets from one big image.

Hi is there any quick and easy way to print a large image, (Tiff/300dpi/50 megapixels) in grid form of multiple smaller pages (example A4 or A3/A3+) to then assemble the printed trimed sheets and get a large image in paper with for example nine A3 sheets? Using Affinity Photo or another Serif app (I own all). My printer goes only up to A3+ borderless. Thank you very much.

You can use Affinity Designer to manually lay out a multi page spread using the Artboards tool/feature. Make your artboard match you sheet size, then simply add as many artboards as you need. Margins might get tricky tho, but I see your printer is borderless so that should help with alignment of tiles after printing

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

14 minutes ago, AT.HA said:

It remains to be seen if I lose some quality when turn my 300dpi TIFF into PDF?

It's up to you. PDF is a container format which may contain various file types (e.g. text, image, video, sound) of various file formats and with their own settings. By creating a PDF from an image file, e.g. via Affinity export, you usually can influence its color space, profile, resolution (> pixel dimensions), compression method / compression rate (> file size, image quality), whereas the applied settings may vary with the input file format.

I noticed if you export a JPG from APub in its original size then APub doesn't recompress it on export, regardless of your set compression rate. Then altering the size from 100 to 101 or 99 % may be sufficient to cause a recompression on export. In a quite early APub version it appeared that 16bit images did not get compressed at all, while TIFF files get compressed with ZIP compression (ignoring the JPG compression export settings). I haven't tried if APub export still works this way.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

34 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It's up to you. PDF is a container format which may contain various file types (e.g. text, image, video, sound) of various file formats and with their own settings. By creating a PDF from an image file, e.g. via Affinity export, you usually can influence its color space, profile, resolution (> pixel dimensions), compression method / compression rate (> file size, image quality), whereas the applied settings may vary with the input file format.

I noticed if you export a JPG from APub in its original size then APub doesn't recompress it on export, regardless of your set compression rate. Then altering the size from 100 to 101 or 99 % may be sufficient to cause a recompression on export. In a quite early APub version it appeared that 16bit images did not get compressed at all, while TIFF files get compressed with ZIP compression (ignoring the JPG compression export settings). I haven't tried if APub export still works this way.

Thanks .-)

On 6/29/2021 at 12:51 PM, AT.HA said:

Thanks ronnyb.

I'm going to test this possibility, although I'm looking for a way to, from an image, configure the print in the tile form; that was enough .-)

I understand it’s definitely a workaround. This functionality should be part of the Print command of all 3 Affinity Apps, but most definitely APhoto. 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

5 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

I understand it’s definitely a workaround. This functionality should be part of the Print command of all 3 Affinity Apps, but most definitely APhoto. 

The Windows versions of the Affinity applications all support a Tiled layout model, as seen below. Is that missing on the Mac versions?

image.png.20994df40121d5ce8a65b53eeadf95a1.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

The Windows versions of the Affinity applications all support a Tiled layout model, as seen below. Is that missing on the Mac versions?

It exists but appears a kind of buggy. It seems to work (according to the dialog window's preview thumbnail) to tile a document page sizes if it's larger than the printer's paper. But it displays confusion if I want to tile + scale during print, e.g. one A4 page upscaled on four A4 sheets. Then the preview doesn't scale the page content preview at all but adds empty pages. Didn't try if it would work when printed.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1