You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Margins Input Fields broken in latest beta and release versions

Changing the margins after the lock has been applied using the same input field doesn't update other fields. The only way to change the margins is to do it from another field.

See the screencast below.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

I think this is due to the fact that you are not actually changing the value (15 before and after) in the Inner field. I do agree that it is disconcerting and I too consider it a bug but I'll wager it is one that proves very difficult to squish. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

24 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I too consider it a bug but I'll wager it is one that proves very difficult to squish. 

Hi @Old Bruce, it should be difficult. InDesign handles it beautifully. In fact, it remembers the latest input value and it changes all other fields as soon as you enable the lock. In other words, even if you forget to enable the lock, it will still apply that change to other fields as soon as the lock is enabled.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

1 hour ago, Seneca said:

...it remembers the latest input value and it changes all other fields as soon as you enable the lock. In other words, even if you forget to enable the lock, it will still apply that change to other fields as soon as the lock is enabled.

I think that is the sort of thing we both want for this. 

So I would enter a change by typing 1 then 5 then when I click on the linked/lock symbol the Application would 'remember' the 1 and 5 as a finished 15 and apply it to that field then update the other fields because I am linking/locking them.

What about the reverse, if InDesign has the link/lock applied and I start to change from all 15s to one where I enter ten then hit unlink/unlock? Do I get ten, 15, 15 and 15 or ten, ten, ten and ten? 

I would want the former.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Just yesterday I also noticed some odd margins behavior with the latest betas. I haven't inspected it in deep though as I had actual work to do. But something is definitely broken.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

What about the reverse, if InDesign has the link/lock applied and I start to change from all 15s to one where I enter ten then hit unlink/unlock? Do I get ten, 15, 15 and 15 or ten, ten, ten and ten? 

You'll get all 10s. And you are right unlink is a better term here, I think.

5 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

That is what I would want.

Earlier you seemed to say you would want 10, 15, 15, 15 and now you seem to be saying you'd want 10, 10, 10, 10?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

This is not really a bug. As Old Bruce pointed it out, you're not really changing the value. 

Respectfully, I disagree. 

Consider this scenario: I want to create a new document with all margins set to 10. I type number 10 in one of the margin fields and only then I realise that I forgot to click on the bind icon to force all fields to the same value. I click on the bind icon and I retype 10 in the same field and tab away but nothing changes.

I may not have changed the value of the field but I have changed the meaning of my action by enabling the bind icon.

12 hours ago, Seneca said:

onsider this scenario: I want to create a new document with all margins set to 10. I type number 10 in one of the margin fields and only then I realise that I forgot to click on the bind icon to force all fields to the same value. I click on the bind icon and I retype 10 in the same field and tab away but nothing changes.

I just checked and that happens here on OS 10.14.6.