Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Every line a new paragraph when exporting into a PDF

Hi,
for a long time i dont understand why Affinity and also other programms act like this:

Let's say you write something (e.g. in Affinity Publisher) and you export the document as a PDF. Now you open this PDF in Acrobat.
You mark the text and copy it e.g. into Word. The problem: The text is not copied as a whole text, instead there is a new paragraph/line after every line of the PDF document.

The same problem also appears when you print a PDF out of Word with "Microsoft Print to PDF". It does not appear when you save a document as a PDF out of word.

I think this whole thing is a massive problem because it makes exchanging texts between different people much more difficult. Every text is completely torn apart if you want to implement it in a different layout. I'm often corresponding with local newspapers here in Germany and I think it produces much unnecessary effort for them that they always have to delete all the new paragraphs/lines and replace them with normal spaces, when they want to put my texts into their layouts.

How can I fix this PDF export problem at least in Affinity Publisher?

Thanks in advance!
Bastian

(sorry for grammar/spelling mistakes, my English is not the best)

This is more a problem with how PDFs store and present a 'paragraph of text'. In order to have the lines making up a paragraph remain fixed length each line is essentially a paragraph. The paragraphs that you and I would see when reading a PDF are visual, not one long string of words characters but a series of strings of words characters arranged to appear to be a paragraph.

What is needed is the import engine of the software, be it Word or Publisher, to guess at the multiple strings being one string. In Publisher there is the Group lines of text.... frames and the Favour editable text... check boxes, there is probably something similar in Word, I honestly do not know about that.

1905376072_ScreenShot2021-06-28at7_01_52AM.png.5e38c8ecf973a499192c3be2b28054de.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 11.7.1 
Affinity Designer 2.0.0 | Affinity Photo 2.0.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.0.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, bastian455g said:

Thanks! But where do I find this window "PDF Options"?

You can find those, when opening a PDF in APublisher, but this won't help you getting text from Acrobat to Word, Although Acrobat Pro has the ability to save the PDF as a docx document.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

42 minutes ago, bastian455g said:

Hi,
for a long time i dont understand why Affinity and also other programms act like this:

Let's say you write something (e.g. in Affinity Publisher) and you export the document as a PDF. Now you open this PDF in Acrobat.
You mark the text and copy it e.g. into Word. The problem: The text is not copied as a whole text, instead there is a new paragraph/line after every line of the PDF document.

If what you want is text as paragraphs you would be better served by selecting the text in Publisher and copying it then pasting it into a Word document or a Text Editor which supports Rich Text Format exporting. Forget about using PDFs for this, as PDFs are not designed to do this.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 11.7.1 
Affinity Designer 2.0.0 | Affinity Photo 2.0.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.0.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If you want to copy text from a PDF you might want to know different PDF readers treat text differently. Some keep paragraphs and some cut lines to paragraphs. For example PDF Expert keeps paragraphs.