You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP instantly not responding when opening G'MIC-Qt for 8bf Hosts

As soon as I open the plugin, Task Manager is telling, that AP is not responding. Interestingly after applying a filter / action, AP is getting back to a normal state and you can see, that the image was processed. Is G'MIC to blame or AP?

I could be wrong, but I have the impression, that the preview in G'MIC is better than the result when returning back to AP.

Regarding this sentence in the help files I am curious: "To enable untested or potentially unsupported plugins". Who is testing the plugins? Serif? The community? Or Serif, when problems are reported by the users?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

I have reproduced this. The app does indeed go into a state of Not Responding - I'm not sure why. When I apply the filter and OK it the app recovers - I was expecting it to send it back to AP but it asks me to save the image instead.

It seems that the company already provided advice, installation guides and mention AP so they must have done some serious testing. I'm not sure if they have liased with us at all but I will find out.

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Is G'MIC to blame or AP?

No idea. This will likely need some developer input.

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Who is testing the plugins? Serif? The community? Or Serif, when problems are reported by the users?

All three. We do some of our own testing to see which plugins work and which do not. We also check ones that our customers tell us about. The community also do a fantastic job of testing them off their own back, troubleshoot issues and give us feed back.

Our official plugin support is very limited at the moment. I think we officially support 2 or 3 but we hope to properly grow this in the future.

I am the author of the G'MIC 8bf plugin.

On 6/28/2021 at 4:06 AM, Joachim_L said:

Is G'MIC to blame or AP?

This is a known issue with the G'MIC 8bf plugin. It starts the external G'MIC process and blocks the current thread until the process exits, blocking the current thread causes Windows to detect AP as not responding.

I will look into fixing this issue.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:46 AM, Chris B said:

When I apply the filter and OK it the app recovers - I was expecting it to send it back to AP but it asks me to save the image instead.

That behavior would depend on which G'MIC effect you use. G'MIC effects can resize the image or create multiple output images (e.g. animations), and Adobe's 8bf plugin standard does not allow a plugin to do either of those things. Saving to external files is the workaround that I have to use for those G'MIC effects.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:46 AM, Chris B said:

It seems that the company already provided advice, installation guides and mention AP so they must have done some serious testing.

The 8bf plugin is developed separately from the G'MIC project. I posted the installation instructions for multiple 8bf plugin hosts on the GitHub wiki for the G'MIC 8bf plugin, and the main developer of G'MIC copied them to the G'MIC website.

I have only done testing on AP whenever members of the G'MIC community report a compatibility issue with it on the G'MIC forum.

I fixed this issue for the next version of the 8bf plugin.

On 6/28/2021 at 4:06 AM, Joachim_L said:

I could be wrong, but I have the impression, that the preview in G'MIC is better than the result when returning back to AP.

I have noticed that as well when testing the plugin in Photoshop. I suspect that it may be due in part to G'MIC-Qt not performing color correction on the preview using the document and monitor ICC color profiles.

21 minutes ago, 0xC0000054 said:

I fixed this issue for the next version of the 8bf plugin.

Great to hear. EDIT: Partially answered. Just another question and maybe it is just the filter Banding Denoise. The preview is looking good, but back in AP there is no change. But if I crop and flatten the image to a much smaller size, the output is as desired. Is it the size of the document?

banding-denoise.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

42 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Just another question and maybe it is just the filter Banding Denoise. The preview is looking good, but back in AP there is no change. But if I crop and flatten the image to a much smaller size, the output is as desired. Is it the size of the document?

I have no idea, you should ask that question on the G'MIC forum.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 6:35 AM, 0xC0000054 said:

Released version 2.9.8.1 of the 8bf plugin

Thanks for that. I am not sure if this is only my machine, but I could have sworn, that I was able to move the preview in the preview window in an older version. Looks like the same magnification for every plugin I use. Maybe I should remove the old plugin completely and copy the new files instead of overwriting. <- Makes no difference.

------

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Thanks for that. I am not sure if this is only my machine, but I could have sworn, that I was able to move the preview in the preview window in an older version. Looks like the same magnification for every plugin I use.

That issue was introduced in version 2.9.8.0, and fixed in version 2.9.8.2. I changed the way G'MIC-Qt receives cropped images in version 2.9.8.0, and the code was passing the wrong values for the width and height.

Release version 2.9.8.2, which fixes a regression from version 2.9.7.1 when displaying the G'MIC-Qt preview image and an issue with the layer order of the second input image. It can be downloaded from https://github.com/0xC0000054/gmic-8bf/releases.

18 minutes ago, 0xC0000054 said:

Release version 2.9.8.2, which fixes a regression from version 2.9.7.1

Wow, this is what I would call a fast response. Downloaded, used and it works. Thank you so much for your assistance!

------