You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Affinity from within Mac Photos

Hey guys,

I use affinity from within Photos on my mac. Lately I have had trouble with the extensions when I am using the haze removal tool. It seems to take a bit longer to open up in Affinity and when it does it is not displaying properly. I have enclosed a screenshot of what it looks like. When I try moving the sliders nothing is changing.

My version of Affinity is from the Mac App store.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Tony M.

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 1.16.13 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 1.25.40 pm.png

Hi @Tony M. and welcome!

I am seeing the same as you when I use the Haze Removal extension on Raw images (Panasonic .rw2 format).

Affinity Photo/Apple Photos haze removal extension bug

It also occurs with images identified by Apple Photos as "RAW + JPEG", but not with "JPEG + RAW" or with jpegs. Is that the same with you?

Looks to me like a bug, which I'm also getting if I try the same thing in the latest beta.  I'll report it as a bug there.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

I also am seeing the same when I use the Haze Removal extension. Several of the other AP extensions display a variety of problems but that varies depending on the kind of RAW image I try to edit with the extension.

So for example, the Liquify extension works but I can't see the effect on the image until I click the save changes button, so it is basically useless.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi All,

I tried the same thing (Pentax K3 DNG raw) _+ Jpeg, also very slow on my MacBook Pro.

Interestingly the screen shot below shows a blank "Before" view and there is no effect on the "After" section when I try the sliders.219314705_Screenshot2021-06-28at19_03_41.thumb.png.70b251b0b67832d2bd0788de366d9af7.png

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

Affinity Photo (latest I promise)

Affinity Photo Beta (I have a lot of time on my hands)

Affinity Designer (Also the latest; promise)

Affinity Designer Beta (Because I like new things)

I need to get out more - Yes :)

16 hours ago, h_d said:

Hi @Tony M. and welcome!

I am seeing the same as you when I use the Haze Removal extension on Raw images (Panasonic .rw2 format).

Affinity Photo/Apple Photos haze removal extension bug

It also occurs with images identified by Apple Photos as "RAW + JPEG", but not with "JPEG + RAW" or with jpegs. Is that the same with you?

Looks to me like a bug, which I'm also getting if I try the same thing in the latest beta.  I'll report it as a bug there.

Hi h_d,

Thanks for your reply.

So I did a quick check and any RAW files I have the problem with. When I went back and found a JPEG it opened no problem.

So it looks like editing RAW files is the problem. I might put in a bug report as well so the developers can see it may be a bit widespread.

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

I also am seeing the same when I use the Haze Removal extension. Several of the other AP extensions display a variety of problems but that varies depending on the kind of RAW image I try to edit with the extension.

So for example, the Liquify extension works but I can't see the effect on the image until I click the save changes button, so it is basically useless.

Yes I also tried that and noted it did nothing. I did not go as far as saving tho.

5 hours ago, Reggie1958 said:

Hi All,

I tried the same thing (Pentax K3 DNG raw) _+ Jpeg, also very slow on my MacBook Pro.

Interestingly the screen shot below shows a blank "Before" view and there is no effect on the "After" section when I try the sliders.219314705_Screenshot2021-06-28at19_03_41.thumb.png.70b251b0b67832d2bd0788de366d9af7.png

So I am not alone in this... I'm just glad I finally found something that referred to what was happening. Hopefully they can get it looked at soon.

1 minute ago, Tony M. said:

I might put in a bug report as well so the developers can see it may be a bit widespread.

👍 I think that would be a good idea, as I believe essentially all the AP extensions for Apple Photos have problems with RAW files, with the possible exception of the Edit in Affinity Photo one, which works OK for me but not for all users.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/29/2021 at 4:18 AM, Reggie1958 said:

Hi All,

Hi Reggie.... yes this is exactly what I am experiencing as well. I have not found the right area for a bug report yet. 

22 hours ago, Tony M. said:

Hi Reggie.... yes this is exactly what I am experiencing as well. I have not found the right area for a bug report yet. 

Hi Tony have you tried here?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/77-photo-bugs-found-on-macos/

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

5 hours ago, Tony M. said:

Hi Reggie.... I found this the other day and when I opened it my first post was in there so I believe I have posted in the right place from the beginning.

Well I hope I have anyway. 

Hi Tony,

Yes, it looks you have posted in the right place to me too 👍🏻😎

cheers 

Reggie 

• 2 weeks later...