You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF compatibility problem with embedded fonts.

When I open a PDF, embedded fonts are garbled if they are not available on the computer.
This might be compatibility problem of the encoding of the font.
When will this be fixed?

I found related topic
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/82519-japanese-fonts-in-pdf-not-displaying-correctly/
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/63218-about-the-replace-missing-fonts-japanese-fonts/

embedded-fonts-ai.pdf

embedded-fonts-affinity.pdf

font-encoding.jpeg

Also sometimes embedded fonts are garbled even if they are available on the computer.
I can not upload the pdf directly here since it's a confidential document.
I will send you if you invite me to Dropbox or something.

2 hours ago, ashf said:

When I open a PDF, embedded fonts are garbled if they are not available on the computer.
They should be substituted with another font.(by showing the font manager like with Affinity docs)
When will this be fixed?

When you Open a PDF you are given the choice of replacing missing fonts, or not. "Replace missing fonts" is selected by default, but you can turn it off.

image.png.a3fa4886cca0ef8365c794976140079b.png

You can also choose a different permanent substitution there if you want.

If you choose not to make a permanent substitution, you'll get a temporary substitution, and then you can use the Font Manager to make a different temporary substitution. Or (in Publisher) you can use Find and Replace to do a different permanent substitution.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

When you Open a PDF you are given the choice of replacing missing fonts, or not. "Replace missing fonts" is selected by default, but you can turn it off.

Text is still garbled without that option.
It's shown properly only when the font is available on the computer.

6 minutes ago, ashf said:

Text is still garbled without that option.
It's shown properly only when the font is available on the computer.

Or when you substitute with an appropriate font. But yes, if you do not have an appropriate font, you cannot Open that PDF. You could Place it using PassThrough mode, but that is all.

Your Feature Request was to be able to substitute with another font. My point was that you can already do that, either permanently (two ways) or temporarily (Font Manager).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Or when you substitute with an appropriate font. But yes, if you do not have an appropriate font, you cannot Open that PDF. You could Place it using PassThrough mode, but that is all.

Your Feature Request was to be able to substitute with another font. My point was that you can already do that, either permanently (two ways) or temporarily (Font Manager).

Right, just substitute was not enough.
Fundamental problem is that there's no way to fix garbled text without having the same font on the computer.

It seems that Affinity can show text with embedded fonts properly if the PDF is created by Affinity itself.

Users who complain garbled text says they used an app such as these:
Microsoft Office
Adobe Illustrator
Tex(dvipdfmx)
macOS' print to pdf

I don't think you're simply experiencing a problem with embedded fonts. It's something odd specifically with the CJK fonts, or with font subsetting.

You might have the "users who complain" check to see if their applications offer the option to embed the complete fonts in the PDF, rather than a subset. Affinity offers that option, and using it is often the only way to get a PDF to work completely correctly in Affinity even if Affinity creates it.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think you're simply experiencing a problem with embedded fonts. It's something odd specifically with the CJK fonts, or with font subsetting.

You might have the "users who complain" check to see if their applications offer the option to embed the complete fonts in the PDF, rather than a subset. Affinity offers that option, and using it is often the only way to get a PDF to work completely correctly in Affinity even if Affinity creates it.

Problem is that it's often a pdf given by their client.
So it's hard to ask them to recreate the PDF as requested.

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's not a matter of subset vs. full embedding.

Serif needs, in lieu of making use of a pdf's fonts, Unicode and/or standard encoding and/or make use of a code page. In ashf's other thread, this is how the type is recorded in the pdf:

Capture_000826.png.4acb092e9f88127725ea303cfe38d859.png

In a Unicode-compliant pdf, or a standard-encoded pdf, there would be code points displayed under each glyph.

• 1 year later...