You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font Menu Corruption: Can't get rid of duplicate font styles listed in Affinity

nwhit

All 3 Affinity apps are showing duplicate fonts/styles. In all 3 of the Affinity 1.10.x betas, if you select any Font Book collection, it shows numerous duplicate styles for many of the fonts. If you then select one of those collections, then subsequently go back to the All Fonts listing, it will now show even more duplicate font styles, thus making it a bit impossible to select a font and style, not knowing if you've selected a real one or some corruption of the list. 

This first began with either v1.9.x and/or my switch to Big Sur. Can't be sure which caused it since both happened at about the same time for me. Prior to this, I used Font Book collections routinely/daily in all Affinity apps without any issues.

I have tried clicking the Reset Fonts in prefs numerous times, and restarting the app(s). As per the pics, still get a ton of duplicate font styles showing for several fonts. 

In the examples showing, it's Futura and Futura Condensed. These are from a new Futura family package. In Font Book, I ran Font Book's duplicates find and eliminated a handful of unrelated duplicates (not related to Futura), validated all fonts, and restarted the computer in Safe Mode. 

But no matter what I do, I still get a whole bunch of duplicate font styles for quite a few fonts. Even Impact (randomly shows 3-4).

How in the world do you get a correct font list in Affinity, or is this a bug where the Reset Fonts isn't working? I'm at a loss and trying to get client work done, but don't know which font style I can or cannot use. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 7.01.41 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 7.02.34 PM.jpg

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

8 hours ago, nwhit said:

But no matter what I do, I still get a whole bunch of duplicate font styles for Futura as well as a few other fonts like Impact (shows 3).

A screenshot might help us understand exactly what is happening. But it would also help to know where you purchased your new Futura font package.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

A screenshot might help us understand exactly what is happening. But it would also help to know where you purchased your new Futura font package.

Thanks, Walt! I had forgotten to add them to the post! Kinda essential, right? 😉

Also forgot to add that the new font package is from FontSpring and are OTF.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

14 hours ago, nwhit said:

But no matter what I do, I still get a whole bunch of duplicate font styles for Futura as well as a few other fonts like Impact (shows 3).

Are these in old documents or new documents? Once you open a document with a missing font (one of the Duplicates you removed) I would think that Publisher is somehow retaining that....

Not much help for solving the problem.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Are these in old documents or new documents? Once you open a document with a missing font (one of the Duplicates you removed) I would think that Publisher is somehow retaining that....

Not much help for solving the problem.

Yes, I've used a paid-for Futura for years and years in a huge variety of client docs. I thought of that as well, that if I had ever used it, APub might be remembering it. But as you said, how then can a person ever tell what font style to actually use that's "real"? Somehow it seems I have jumped out of the proverbial frying pan and into the fire by removing the old Futura font families and installing the brand new ones (regular and condensed). Suddenly I ended up with even more duplicates in my Affinity menus! 😩

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Getting very strange this morning! Big Sur also has a fixed (unremovable) Futura that adds a couple of styles. But in Font Book in my collections like "Favorites" where I have Futura, I was able to turn off the Big Sur Futura styles, leaving only the newly purchased fonts showing. I then restarted the computer, restarted APub with only a newly created blank doc, used the prefs/Reset Fonts, quit and restarted.

Now it gets strange. When I first look at Futura in the All Fonts, it has the correct styles (17) showing, including the couple extras from Big Sur, and the new Futura Cond is clean (10). I then select the My Favorites font collection in APub and, voila!, it now shows 29 styles in Futura and 20 in Futura Cond!!! Amazing! 

But even stranger, when I then go back to the All Fonts, it now shows 41 Futuras and the Condensed are gone! Kinda thinking that this won't be helpful producing anything! 😩

UPDATE: Just tried same thing in beta 1.9.4.1082 and it does the same thing.

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 11.00.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 10.54.44 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 10.56.38 AM.jpg

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

17 hours ago, nwhit said:

Added attachments ;-)

I am guessing that Screenshot is the 'new' version of Font Book App. What happens when you select All Fonts? How many Futuras show up there as opposed to just the ones you have in the "Fat" Collection?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

43 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am guessing that Screenshot is the 'new' version of Font Book App. What happens when you select All Fonts? How many Futuras show up there as opposed to just the ones you have in the "Fat" Collection?

Yes, Big Sur! Came with my new iMac, so having several issues due to the "upgrade". That's how my problem started and now I'm virtually out of business doing client work until I can get this resolved.

You can see in the first pic above from APub that after doing a Reset Fonts in APub, initially the All Fonts view showed the correct number of styles within Futura (17) and Futura Condensed (10). The 17 showing in Futura did include a couple duplicates that come from the fixed/non-removable Big Sur Futura fonts. But what I had done in Font Book was to modify my "collections" to not include (disable) the Big Sur versions of Futura in those collections, thus showing only the new Futura styles in the personal collections (can't disable them in the All Fonts section, but can in the collections). 

However, as you can see in pic 2, when I then subsequently selected the My Favorites font collection from within APub, suddenly I had 29 and 20 styles in Futura and Condensed. Amazing! Even more puzzling is that having done that, when I then went back to All Fonts view, where I had just shown only 17/10, I now have 41 showing and the Condensed family is not even showing anymore! Something is truly broken in Affinity apps handling of fonts. 

I also have watched another one I use a lot, Impact. I've never had more than the single stock Impact font installed for years. If I do the Reset Fonts in APub, then look at Impact in All Fonts, it shows only 1 style (correctly). But when I go to one of my font collections, it shows 3. Then back in All Fonts it now shows 4 duplicates for Impact! Don't think that's how it should work.

I've searched the web and Affinity Help for how to refresh the font cache for Affinity but cannot find anything anywhere, other than the Reset Fonts in prefs. And that seems ineffective or broken. 

At the moment, all my client work is at a standstill since I use Futura and Impact for a lot of work including embedded and linked logos and other graphics. If I can't replace the previous versions with what I know are "real"/new versions, all those documents will go crazy. That's how this all started. I had opened one with the old Futura still installed and one of the Text Styles in APub that used a Futura font as a character style was showing incorrectly. When I tried to edit the text style, the entire text frame went corrupt with text overlaying itself, totally illegible. Couldn't even change the font or style manually. That finally led me to buying the new Futura package to replace my ancient package (from back when they chiseled out the fonts as you typed!! 😂). 

But until I can figure out how to "flush" Affinity's font lists, I'm dead. No work can get done since I use those fonts so much for many clients. And it's not like I'm using any 3rd party font manager (like I used to years ago with System 7 and early 10, etc.). Just using Apple's Font Manager, so nothing trick there. Affinity's font lists just seem corrupt and for some reason are not rebuilding, especially the Collections parts. I had hoped one of us old-timers with Affinity and betas had run into this before. Hopefully Monday someone at Affinity will know how to cure this so that I can get back to work! Frustrating to say the least! 

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 1.17.39 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 1.19.37 PM.jpg

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

FWIW, I did try in Font Book to remove Impact from one of my collections, then add it back in. Still had same issues in APub. I did a Reset Fonts each time. 

I also tried to create a new collection in Font Book, adding Futura and Impact, but in APub the collections once again had a lot of duplicates. Pretty clear that Affinity apps are apparently not handling collections correctly for some reason. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

To further update, I have looked at Apple's apps and the font collections. They are all showing correct listings. It appears that only Affinity apps are not showing the correct updated font collections, and as mentioned above, once a "bad" collection is viewed, it also corrupts the All Fonts view list.

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 12.03.02 PM.jpg

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• Staff

Closing and re-opening the app should essentially rebuild the font list, so if after closing and re-opening it's still displaying duplicated styles I don't think it will be because of a corrupt font cache.

We've had a look around using collections and trying to get duplicates to appear but haven't had any luck, can you upload all the Futura fonts you have installed here? I'll have a go at reproducing it with those installed

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I uploaded the old Futura set that had been in use for years (without any significant prior problem), plus the new set installed due to this issue and Big Sur. Also uploaded an old Impact, since that one does the same thing (shows anywhere from 3-4 styles in collections).

Yes, I'm at a loss. The Apple apps and others that use Apple's font interface all show the collections correctly. And Affinity apps initially read the All Fonts correctly as well, until I open a collection. But when I switch to a font collection in Affinity apps, everything goes bad. The collection shows dups, plus then All Fonts subsequently shows even more dups. And often not even the same number of dups.

Thinking that the collections themselves were corrupt, I even created a new collection, but that also shows dups in Affinity. I even deleted the com.apple.Recents.collection from the ~/Library/FontCollections. Didn't fix it.

Somehow Affinity apps appear to be retaining old font info, even though the fonts are no longer on the computer (except in a zipped folder not in any Fonts directory).

Really has brought my work to an almost stop since we have so much work that contains Futura and Impact, so hopefully can figure this out. Thanks. 

-----------

I also looked for any apps that are non-Affinity or don't use Apple's fonts interface, but I'm at a point where with OS11 all my non-Affinity graphics apps are in a legacy Sierra VM. Become dependent on Affinity for my modern apps! 😩

Edited by nwhit
Additional info:

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @nwhit,

Myself and a colleague installed all the fonts sent over and have set up some font collections but been unable to reproduce this so far unfortunately, I'll continue to have a look at it this week and see if I can suss out what might be different with your setup compared to ours

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

@Jon P Thanks. Big question is how do I fix it? This is really slowing down my work in all my Affinity apps not being able to use font collections, especially after Big Sur having installed so many never-used fonts. A real PITA to get to my frequently used fonts.

There must be some way to manually flush/delete Affinity's cache of font collections? The regular All Fonts display is correct, it's just Affinity's display of font collections that's wrong/corrupt. And once I view those collections, it then corrupts the All Fonts listings as well. And as described in the previous posts, this isn't the case in non-Affinity apps -- they show the font collections correctly. So I'm assuming Affinity apps seem to have their own cache for the collections. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Just to be sure, I just deleted my copy of Publisher (Affinity Store) and downloaded a fresh copy, deleted/moved all the prefs (App Support and Prefs), and restarted with Control, resetting everything. I still get the same issue. Under All Fonts, I get the correct number of styles within the problematic fonts. But when I look at a font collection, those same fonts then show more than double the number of actual styles, and then subsequently corrupt the All Fonts listing. I also tried clicking the Reset Fonts in the app/prefs. Didn't fix anything.

This suggests that Affinity is storing the font info somewhere for all Affinity apps since they all are showing this problem?? If not, where are the apps getting the info for fonts and collections? While I have little expertise in this area, the actual font collections are correctly shown in all apps that use Apple's Font viewer/listing window, such as in Mail, Pages, Numbers, BBEdit, etc. That leads me to believe that the macOS file/cache of the fonts and collections is correct, but somehow the Affinity apps are retaining or showing a corrupt version.

As said many times, I really need to find a fix for this so that I can get back to client work. Trying to scroll through the large number of Big Sur fonts just to get to our clients' set of fonts is a real PITA! And if uninstalling the app doesn't fix it, there must be a way to fix Affinity apps' font collections cache. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

@Jon P Just to clarify, it does not appear that the issue involves the Futura fonts that were originally creating an issue in some docs due to being very old (now replaced). All fonts within any of my font Collections show up as duplicated when viewed under the Affinity Font Collection view, then subsequently corrupt the All Fonts list view as well after having viewed the collections list (see attached pic of one of the collections with every font containing duplicate styles). 

I have also tried deleting the macOS font caches using Terminal. I also downloaded a trial of Suitcase and used their utility to delete font caches. The problem persists. This suggests that Affinity apps appear to be referencing their own font cache, or at least a Font Collections cache. The Affinity apps are the only ones having this problem of a "corrupt" font list, especially font collections.

Hopefully you guys can suggest a fix. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 12.39.41 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 12.49.59 PM.jpg

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Here is my take on this. Any Font collection that I make with the Font Book Application will mess up the font listings with doubles as soon as I look at that (any home made) font collection in any of the affinity applications. This is true for OS 10.12.6 and 10.14.6. 

Does not happen with the standard collections pre made by the font book application.

Happens with any font I put into that font collection.

I would say that what is happening with nwhit is also happening here. I have been able to just ignore it, advantage to having few fonts, plus the way I work. I'll decide on the fonts before I start working with the actual text.

29 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Here is my take on this. Any Font collection that I make with the Font Book Application will mess up the font listings with doubles as soon as I look at that (any home made) font collection in any of the affinity applications. This is true for OS 10.12.6 and 10.14.6. 

Does not happen with the standard collections pre made by the font book application.

Happens with any font I put into that font collection.

I would say that what is happening with nwhit is also happening here. I have been able to just ignore it, advantage to having few fonts, plus the way I work. I'll decide on the fonts before I start working with the actual text.

INTERESTING!!! So you have the same issue with Affinity's listing of Font Book user font collections?!? As I've said in previous posts, I'm not seeing the duplication of fonts in any other app other than Affinity apps, and all Affinity apps are showing the same duplicates within the font collections, which if viewed, then corrupts the All Fonts list as well! 

Yeah, in the old days, I used to use Suitcase (years ago, and even before OSX), etc. to only have my main fonts showing in my main apps. But with Big Sur/OS11 especially, it is no longer possible to do that. OS11 puts 355 mandatory fonts into the System/Library/Fonts and Supplemental folders that can't be deactivated. Makes for a very congested fonts menu! 

I have for a few years used Font Book's user-designated Collections, and with no problems. I was using them routinely in Affinity apps as well and was not aware of the problem I'm now seeing. For me it started with what appears to be OS11 and/or Affinity 1.9.x. But interesting that you see the same thing! 

I haven't used a font management app in years, so am not aware if using one can overcome this issue. Might be worth the very hefty price they now ask for one of those previously inexpensive utilities if it could fix this problem. Maybe someone who uses a font management utility could answer that. The way it is right now with OS11, scrolling through several hundred mostly useless fonts to try to set type in client docs/images is really not pleasant at all. 

Thanks for the input, Bruce! At least I now know that I'm not alone in seeing this issue (and totally cursed!!). And it does raise the question, where is Affinity getting its Font Collection listing from? Or why is it "corrupting" Apple's Font Book's user Collections? 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 12:25 AM, nwhit said:

INTERESTING!!! So you have the same issue with Affinity's listing of Font Book user font collections?!? As I've said in previous posts, I'm not seeing the duplication of fonts in any other app other than Affinity apps, and all Affinity apps are showing the same duplicates within the font collections, which if viewed, then corrupts the All Fonts list as well! 

Yeah, in the old days, I used to use Suitcase (years ago, and even before OSX), etc. to only have my main fonts showing in my main apps. But with Big Sur/OS11 especially, it is no longer possible to do that. OS11 puts 355 mandatory fonts into the System/Library/Fonts and Supplemental folders that can't be deactivated. Makes for a very congested fonts menu! 

I have for a few years used Font Book's user-designated Collections, and with no problems. I was using them routinely in Affinity apps as well and was not aware of the problem I'm now seeing. For me it started with what appears to be OS11 and/or Affinity 1.9.x. But interesting that you see the same thing! 

I haven't used a font management app in years, so am not aware if using one can overcome this issue. Might be worth the very hefty price they now ask for one of those previously inexpensive utilities if it could fix this problem. Maybe someone who uses a font management utility could answer that. The way it is right now with OS11, scrolling through several hundred mostly useless fonts to try to set type in client docs/images is really not pleasant at all. 

Thanks for the input, Bruce! At least I now know that I'm not alone in seeing this issue (and totally cursed!!). And it does raise the question, where is Affinity getting its Font Collection listing from? Or why is it "corrupting" Apple's Font Book's user Collections? 

I also had this font problem - I found out that if you change the language in the settings from "Standard" to "German" (for me). The doubles (or more) are gone. I tried it under Big Sur and Catalina.

P.S. after a while the double fonts appeared again (Big Sur) - unfortunately this was not it either - sorry!

translated with DeepL

Edited by Hannes Schmid

This is still an issue in the latest beta/RC 1.10.0.1115.

This was not an issue prior to my upgrade to v1.9.x and/or Big Sur. Previously I used Font Book collections routinely without an issue. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

I have the same problem with Affinity Publisher v1.9.3 on Mac OS 11.4. All my fonts (except the pre-installed default fonts) are doubling up. I initially thought is was my collections in FontBook but that's not the case. Makes no difference when deleting font collections in FontBook.

EDIT same thing happening in Designer and Photo.

When I open the application for the first time after a reboot, the font list will display correctly from the Font Style dropdown in the top horizontal toolbar. As soon as I open the floating Character view window, that's when the fonts start to double-up.

Edited by MaasSoCal

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here in 1.10.0 in Mojave

Screen Grab 2021-08-09 at 11.26.52.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 7/14/2021 at 11:25 PM, nwhit said:

And it does raise the question, where is Affinity getting its Font Collection listing from? Or why is it "corrupting" Apple's Font Book's user Collections? 

I find it super handy that Affinity can view Fontbook collections and I have loads, so maybe just have to roll with it for the time being.

so maybe looks like affinity is reading from the font book main database, plus when fonts are part of a user collection and somehow logging two fonts?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Yes, hard to figure this out. All other apps read the Font Book collections just fine, and like you, I use those collections for virtually all my text work. Hopefully the riddle can be solved in the next update! 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022