You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection direction enhanced behavior

Hey guys,

I know you are super swamped with getting APub out. I just wanted to share a request which I think would be VERY useful. It's an enhancement for Move/Node tools which I think would benefit all users and enhance productivity. It might have been discussed in the past, if my memory serves me right...

I'm talking about enhancing the behavior of the selection function while using the Move and/or Node tools. What this is based on is a selection technique from SketchUp. Here is a video explaining how it works in that app. Notice how the selection marquee changes from solid to dotted line / marching ants, based on the direction the user drags, to visualize the alternate behavior activated.

I think this would be TREMENDOUSLY useful for selecting and editing object in groups, and perhaps can be applied to inter-node segments as well...

Thanks for your consideration.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

That could be another option for the selection drag...

I suppose the Devs could set up a default behaviors or Context Tool / Tools Prefs for 4 unique behaviors to the select (Move) tool, based on the direction of the marquee dragged rectangle:

1. Upper left —> Lower right
  2. Upper right —> lower left
  3. Lower left —> Upper right
  4. Lower right —> Upper left

And the behaviors could be something like these:

• Select objects enclosed by marquee
  • Select objects intersecting marquee
  • Select through group
  • Select ???

I've been requesting a true selection tool. One that goes deep into groups. Please Serif?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

Thanks, evtonic3 … :)

As far as I understood, you want to use a selection marquee to select several objects within a group, right? Have you already tried the Command + Drag method? Does that work for your purpose? Below’s a video showing the differences …

Note, that you can also use Shift + Command + Drag to add new objects to an existing selection (thereby selecting the letter combinations “In” and “de” simultaneously from the word “Inside” in my example … but that’s not shown in the video …

Cheers, Alex  :)

P.S. Made some edits to my post, to make things more clear.

Modifier_Marquee.mov

I'm suggesting 4 different types of selection behaviors possible, determined by the direction in which one drags the selection marquee...

As far as I understood, you want to use a selection marquee to select several objects within a group, right? Have you already tried the Command + Drag method? Does that work for your purpose? Below’s a video showing the differences …

Note, that you can also use Shift + Command + Drag to add new objects to an existing selection (thereby selecting the letter combinations “In” and “de” simultaneously from the word “Inside” in my example … but that’s not shown in the video …

This seems to do what I need!

Thanks!  Ronny you are another on this stuff man!!