You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Currently no. We consider that to be a feature for Affinity Publisher. So you'll need Publisher to create the text flow and then you will be able to open the same file and edit it in Designer if you want.

Affinity Designer does have the ability to wrap text inside a shape or curve. Use Layer/Convert to Text Frame to try it. As a workaround, you could convert a curve into a text frame, fill it with text, and then manually edit to fit the imported image. So you can achieve the effect you want already, albeit with more effort.

I think would be a good tool to have, on the 3 apps...  for the creation of logos for example.

The capabilities of the text tool could be the same on all the suite, so you don't have to reopen it on Publisher and then continuing using it on Designer or photo... :)

The different apps need different capabilities, otherwise they'd all be the same app. Affinity Publisher will be focused on text.

Logos are usually simple images, without enough text to need wrapping.

Again, We must say something about the way FreeHand does this stuff.

The Classic option of put text around a path, inside a closed polygon or around a circle. So you write Affinity + Return + Designer and you can Flow around a circle the text. The result is the word Affinity in the top of the circle and the word Designer in the bottom. And the 2 words flow the circle's shape. Now you can make more changes: edit the text, paste a image that will flow with the text, move the point of the origin and that way you can drag the text moving it to adjust the way you desire.

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

Use Layer/Convert to Text Frame to try it. As a workaround, you could convert a curve into a text frame, fill it with text, and then manually edit to fit the imported image. So you can achieve the effect you want already, albeit with more effort.

This workaround has a bug. When I've done it, the document could not be saved anymore. If I remove the curve with the text, I could save the file again.

• 2 years later...

What will hinder Serif most and has what cant be done or wont be done

Care to explain that question? I'm having problems understanding it (probably because english isn't me primary language.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

Hi Marc

I know your problem (I used CorelDraw earlier). Currently there is no possibility in AD. We have to wait for Affinity Publisher.

But you can try the following possibility for example (I do so). It is not exact, what you expect, but it can partially help.

I draw a rectangle (or other forms), then convert it to curves, then convert it to a text frame, fill it with text, and with the node tool I can create various forms (adding further nodes, too). The text will follow automatically the form.

KoBu

Win10 HP i7 - AD (Win), AP (Win), APub (Win), AD (iPad), AP (iPad),
Affinity Photo for iPad Pro - the best app I ever had
excuse my bad English

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Rociofreewoman,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is just a workaround since Affinity Designer/Photo doesn't support this type of functionality directly (wrapping text around an object):

- create a rectangle for the text block

- create an ellipse . make sure it placed above the rectangle in the layers panel

- select both the rectangle and ellipse then go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Subtract - you should end with a rectangle with a hole (the ellipse subtracted from the rectangle

- with resulting shape still selected go to menu Layer ▸ Convert to Text Frame

- click inside it and start typing - the text should wrap around the ellipse

- If you need to move the ellipse, change to the Node Tool select all 4 nodes of the ellipse and move it picking it from one of the nodes

• 3 months later...

Frankly, IMHO, it is crazy and denigrating to loyal users (I bought some Affinity products not because I needed them, but just to support the company) to deliberately cripple a product for the purpose of compelling users to buy a future product, that so far is vaporware. I wanted to move away from CorelDraw (because it is Windows only) and use Designer exclusively. The attitude of Affinity seems to be that Designer is just for drawing pretty pictures. However, some of us do real commercial work and use illustration programs to create text-heavy flyers, forms, and signage. The (apparently) deliberate failure of Affinity to provide basic text handling ability in Designer that is present in both Illustrator and CorelDraw, primarily the abilities to flow text around objects and to do automatic numbering and bulleting is, in my mind, inexcusable. Even more so when they do it from a naked profit motive (though I have nothing against profits :-)). This limited, but vital, text handling functionality would not stop users from buying Publisher (should it ever arrive). I hope Affinity gets a clue and changes this short-sighted strategy. 

As of now For a SINGLE App I.e Illustrator Adobe would like you to pay £238.42p Annually, this is the cheapest option, if you "subscribed to an annual plan and pay monthly you get the privilege of paying an extra £1.22 @ £239.64 PER YEAR, to pay monthly with no tie in will likely have you selling your grandmother at a tidy £30+ per month, so I think the Profiteers are elsewhere my friend.

One could consider the App to Be Affinity and Designer, Photo, and in the future Publisher or whatever it will be called, Persona's and modules of the Affinity App. Even buying all three modules of the Affinity App you still have money in your pocket to go and buy a rattle :P 

Both Illustrator and CorelDraw are seasoned programs with many years of dev behind them, so to compare Affinity apps to them is a little unfair, and for the most part the people here give workarounds that, while not the same and probably way more cumbersome do get very similar results.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The issue is not that “Illustrator and CorelDraw are seasoned programs with many years of dev behind them.” The issue is that people who apparently represent the company on this thread have said that the failure to include these fundamental features is a deliberate choice. Again, in my view, to deliberate cripple a product to force users who need that functionality to buy another product — which does not yet exist — is a poor customer relations decision, and thus business decision, in my opinion. On the other hand, giving customers what they need to make money themselves both locks them into your eco-system AND assures them that your company is there to help them and knows the market it serves. 

You bring up cost. It would be disingenuous for Affinity to advocate the equivalent professional functionality of their products on the one hand and then complain that their financial model prevents them from achieving that functional equivalency. 

The bottom line is that these Affinity products are either professional grade, or they are not. People who need professional grade functionality are willing to pay for that functionality even if they don't like the business model, as evidenced by the ongoing prosperity of Adobe and the continued existence of Corel. 

3 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

How different opinions are. I don’t see any usage for text in a drawing application…

I have to agree. It seems like an MS Word feature.

Every conceivable feature has somebody who just must have it. I actually have a very long list, if somebody at Serif would care to see it ;) 

. . .  anyone ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 1 year later...