Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.10.0.1098

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes and Improvements
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Windows Store: Not Submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not Available

---

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.10.0.1098 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

Due to current and anticipated changes to help with performance issues this version is now 1.10.0 and replaces the previous 1.9.4 beta. All previous changes from 1.9.4 have been rolled into this beta.

As such, we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous / future versions of Affinity Designer.

---

Major Improvements
Defer more text composition tasks until required. This results in a notable increase in speed when editing long stories.

General
Fix for double apply of Blend Mode in nodes with clipped children
Fix loading files from paths containing decomposed Unicode

Master Pages
When migrating masters take account of editability of candidate parents. Strengthened candidate name matching to disallow set and mismatched names

Render and Performance
Eliminated inefficiency in placed PDF cache handling
Improved Pages Panel page thumbnail rendering / caching
Fixed possible memory leak on Document Close

Text
Glyph Browser was showing corruption / failing to render emoji
Improve performance of Glyph Browser with emoji fonts by using appropriate resolution bitmaps
Text Style panel samples can be poor quality
Inline pinned nodes were exporting as a spurious character
Highlight individual clauses when IME editing

Resource Manager
Resource Manager cosmetic tweaks, prevented removal of all columns etc

Export
PDF Export - Reduced file export size when multiple copies of the same passthrough PDF are present

---

To be notified about all future Windows beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

• Staff
2 hours ago, Michail said:

How is that meant?

Text placement is only theoretical, until it is "fitted" into the frames, taking wrapping and kerning etc into account. That process is called composition and goes on in the background in long documents with many frames. If nothing is drawing those pages they do not really need to be composed dynamically (well not all the time when edits are being made on early pages with linked text frames) so by composing only when required the editing of long documents should be quicker.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Text placement is only theoretically until it is "fitted" into the frames, taking wrapping and kerning etc into account. That process is called composition and goes on in the background in long documents with many frames. If nothing is drawing those pages they do not really need to be composed dynamically (well not all the time when edits are being made on early pages with linked text frames) so by composing only when required the editing of long documents should be quicker.

Thanks; that was my guess.

I'm a bit curious what happens if someone is editing on page 1 of a 100 page linked set of text frames. In theory the work they're doing on that page will happen faster. But they might also suddenly jump to page 100, which Publisher hasn't gotten to yet.

It seems like a challenging issue.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
49 minutes ago, dozer77 said:

I'm still seeing this issue where the linked PDF is not resolving until I browse to it in the layer stack or resources.

Thanks, can you please attach the file and the PDF to a post (preferably a new thread in the beta forum) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Thanks for the new beta. installed ok but getting some weird results opening AD file with linked/embedded images I will add a separate bug/issue thread

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

I'm having continuing problems with this beta release.

The images I've attached are comparing 1.9.1.979 against 1.10.0.1098 (Beta), running simultaneously on one machine, accessing the same page of the same document (not a copy, the same document).

The first image shows the continued problem with degraded text style previews.

The other two images show some really bad positioning of pinned inline images, and pinned inline tables, where they run off the upper margin of the page.

I can provide the .afpub if requested, but I don't want to post it publically.

979-vs-1098-diff1.png

979-vs-1098-diff2.png

979-vs-1098-diff3.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.