You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Hangs Upon Opening

I purchased and downloaded the Affinity Publisher app on my MacBook Pro using OS Catalina 10.15.7 version on May 4, 2021. But I cannot open the application. I transferred the Affinity software to my Applications Folder. I have my product key. When I click to open the Affinity Publisher app it always hangs. I wait for at least 15 minutes each time to see if it will open. But finally I have to Force-Quit the program. I tried on about 8 different occasions. It has not opened since I purchased it.

18 hours ago, Dada Shiilabhadrananda said:

I purchased and downloaded the Affinity Publisher app on my MacBook Pro using OS Catalina 10.15.7 version on May 4, 2021. But I cannot open the application. I transferred the Affinity software to my Applications Folder. I have my product key. When I click to open the Affinity Publisher app it always hangs. I wait for at least 15 minutes each time to see if it will open. But finally I have to Force-Quit the program. I tried on about 8 different occasions. It has not opened since I purchased it.

While you're waiting for a more knowledgeable person to answer, I recommend turning off your wifi or unplugging from ethernet and then starting Publisher. Some people have reported a problem with the app checking for updates and causing it to hang. If this is your problem you can turn off the automatic update feature in Preferences > Software Update > Never.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 6/23/2021 at 2:01 PM, Dada Shiilabhadrananda said:

I transferred the Affinity software to my Applications Folder.

Just to be sure: What format was the software delivered in? If it was a DMG file you need to open that file, and then drag the application from the DMG into your Applications Folder.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, Dada Shiilabhadrananda said:

and try to open and then drag the DMG into my Applications folder?

Yes, trash what you have now, I think.

Then Open the DMG, and drag the application from the DMG into Applications. The DMG itself just stays wherever you downloaded it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I suggest looking at this description:

-- Walt
PC:

14 hours ago, Dada Shiilabhadrananda said:

These are the contents of the Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 software which I purchased. How do I proceed from here? Which of the contents do I drag into my Applications folder?

No. Most emphatically No.

What you want is Icon view,

1371469469_ScreenShot2021-06-27at9_38_24AM.png.1013a425b94ab81ac4d1e29cf4cb1fe7.png

then click on the Affinity Publisher at  the bottom left.

698961160_ScreenShot2021-06-27at9_38_13AM.png.7a4e21366b6ffc8a9c8e9c1bd89315f5.png

You'll see an icon of Affinity Publisher,

1176919755_ScreenShot2021-06-27at9_38_37AM.png.1755a380645acb3ea8393de93354a57a.png

drag that to your Applications folder, the A icon just below Recents and above Documents at the top left.

Alternatively you can have Icon View set and you select the Publisher disk you'll see the Icon for Affinity Publisher and an alias for the Application folder. Drag the Publisher icon to the Application folder.

Here is a shot of me about to install Blender. 

894830467_ScreenShot2021-06-27at9_43_58AM.thumb.png.0fa145342576d18bfe99a6dc29ab19c0.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Actually I have follow these steps before. But it still doesn't prevent the app from hanging when I try to open it. Based on the above conversations, I moved to the trash the original download and again repeated the process just to see if it might work on the second try. But unfortunately the hanging problem still persists.

On 6/26/2021 at 9:01 PM, Dada Shiilabhadrananda said:

These are the contents of the Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 software which I purchased.

The photo you showed there indicates you chose "Show package contents" on the app itself. That is where you took a wrong turn. Instead of opening the app contents, you would just drag the app itself to the application folder.

"Show package contents" is something the average mac user would never need to do.

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

"Show package contents" is something the average mac user would never need to do.

I use it but only for looking around, and I am quite nervous the whole time I am looking around. To be honest, I doubt that I ever learned anything useful from it either.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Thank you all for your replies. It is of course quite simple to transfer the Affinity Publisher App to my Applications folder once I have downloaded it. But as I have mentioned in numerous other posts in this thread, whatever methods I try, the result is always the same--the Affinity Publisher always hangs when I try to open it. So I have to Force-Quit the program every time.

14 hours ago, Dada Shiilabhadrananda said:

the Affinity Publisher always hangs when I try to open it. So I have to Force-Quit the program every time.

I am not familiar with the 10.15. Mac OS so I am just guessing here. There is a Verify... window which will open up so you'll need to be connected to the internet the first time you run this. I'll assume you are using wifi, how strong is the signal? It could take several minutes. With the Verify window just say yes when it asks about whether or not you want to run the software.

Do you have any anti virus software running?

• 1 month later...