You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scroll Bar covers Layer selection when OSX scroll bar is set to show automatically

Ok strictly speaking not a bug(?), but this does not work as intended I assume. In OSX when you scroll through the layers list and happen to hover over the scroll bar, this scroll bar appears. This is linked to an OSX setting (show scroll bar is set to automatically) which I prefer above the "show always". IMO it should not cover the layer selection as follows:

1780994501_Screenshot2021-06-23at11_37_09.png.b02b8066eb54c867d17be38922dc5baa.png

OSX Mojave

MBP2018

AP 1.9.3

• Staff

Hey ZufDraw,

I can get it to overlap on my MBP but not iMac. I wonder if it's something to do with the Trackpad. When I use 'Automatically' I always see the scrollbar on my iMac with the mouse but on my MBP it only appears when I scroll.

I don't have an adapter to test what happens when a mouse is plugged into the MBP :( 

• Staff

My iMac is running Catalina and my MBP is on Big Sur which is sort of the opposite to what I'd expect. It could be screen size. I will keep poking. I recall a conversation about us forcing something to do with this to break Mac convention but it was years ago. I will have to find it.

• 8 months later...

I created a post back in 2020 about this issue in Affinity Designer as well, and it still persists. Why can't the checkboxes simply be moved to the left in order to not be obscured by the scrollbar when it is visible? I can't count how many times I've accidentally clicked on the scrollbar when trying to toggle the visibility of a layer, then had to scroll through the layers panel to find the relevant layer again. It's become one of my biggest peeves about Affinity Designer.

• Staff
15 hours ago, jeffreydevey said:

I created a post back in 2020 about this issue in Affinity Designer as well, and it still persists. Why can't the checkboxes simply be moved to the left in order to not be obscured by the scrollbar when it is visible? I can't count how many times I've accidentally clicked on the scrollbar when trying to toggle the visibility of a layer, then had to scroll through the layers panel to find the relevant layer again. It's become one of my biggest peeves about Affinity Designer.

This came up internally yesterday and a few suggestions were thrown around. I'll update the report to include was was discussed yesterday.