You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Enhancement: More colors for layer color tags

The new Select Same/Select Object feature is wonderful, I'm making heavy use out of it. But one thing it has me wishing is that there were more color tags to assign to a layer because "select same color" is something I like using quite a bit. I'd love to see more color tags available. Or even the option to select any color from the color wheel and make that into a layer color tag.

Just something I think would make a wonderful feature even more useful. 

I'm curious what you do with the layers once you've tagged them with a color and then selected them based on the tag color. You're the second user today who has asked for more tag colors.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm curious what you do with the layers once you've tagged them with a color and then selected them based on the tag color. You're the second user today who has asked for more tag colors.

A couple of examples just from earlier this morning would be I made several different pine trees using a vector brush, and I color coded the branches green and the trunks grey. So anytime I want to make any changes to either I just select those same tag colors. Of course you could have the same effect by naming each branch "pine tree branch" and choosing "select same name" but that's a lot of time naming layers I'd rather not have to do if I don't have to. If all the trees were the same I could make them symbols, but they're all different. 

I do a lot of things like that, I'm a little bit of a color tag-aholic. 

It's the ability to do that sort of thing that makes vector illustrations so valuable to me over raster drawing. It feels like magic. ;)

Thanks.

But couldn't you do it more easily via Select > Select Same > Fill Color? Or (if solely to change the color) by using Global Colors?

You wouldn't need to color tag the layers at all. Or is it that you want to make sure you're  only getting the branches or trunks, and not something else that happens to use those colors?

As I said, just curious, and also wanting to understand other approaches and the advantages they may have :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yeah I want to make sure I don't grab anything that has the same colors, especially if I'm working from a limited color palette. Also sometimes the trees might be different colors anyway and I'm changing the vector brush or stroke size I used for the branches or something like that. It depends on the tree type. 

Even when just changing colors, global colors only work in a specific document. They're not application wide.  But if I'm just dragging trees in I've already made from my assets panel, then global colors aren't useful. 

I don't even think they have to put much development time into it. They don't need to do anything fancy to give the color tags a significant upgrade. Right now they have the primary colors, secondary colors, and grey. Just add in the tertiary colors, brown, and white. At that point you've doubled the available colors and that all by itself would be great.