You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Picker tool fills layers with colour

There is an option for the Colour Picker Tool called "Apply to Selection" in the context toolbar

Switching that off should resolve the issue

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 minutes ago, ZufDraw said:

Still, I'm not sure what this option is supposed to do, it only seems to work on groups. If I select a single layer/object, it doen't seem to do anything

It should work on any object whose Fill you can alter. What kind of "single layer/object" did you try it on where it didn't work?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Aha, ok I now understand you need to select an object with a 'fill property', like an ellipse. So the only thing I don't get yet is why it fills my whole layers when I have a group selected.  That made me think I could also just select the layer and fill it, which I can't (and don't need). I don't understand why one would want to fill all sub layers of a group with a colour, discarding all content. Anyway, my issue was I don't want to fill these layers,  I just want to pick a colour for further useage and I now know how to do that. 

Yes, normally only non-pixel objects have an easily accessible Fill, so selecting a color wouldn't affect the pixel layers if they were not grouped. (You can use the Gradient Tool in Photo to change the Fill of a pixel layer, which completely replaces the existing pixels with the chosen color or image.)

But a Group can have a Fill, and when you set a Group's Fill it also fills the objects contained in the group, because that's how it is defined to work. And if one of those objects is a pixel layer, it is also filled.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Aaah, I see. So you can select a group of objects and drop colours on them. And I guess to be consistent it also fills any pixel layers as a 'side effect'. In itself it seems a bit odd to  fill a group of pixel layers with the same colour (even when you select "stroke" in the group fill, the pixel layer still is completely filled since there is nothing to be stroked) but since it does the same to specific objects I get why you are able to 'fill a group'. All in all it might have been more logic/consistent if
A a single selected pixel layer would receive a fill with the colour picker and when selected through the group 
or
B a single selected pixel layer does not receive a fill with the colour picker but also not when selected through the group

In contrast, the gradient tool seems more consistent. You can fill multiple layers with group selection and it works the same on a single layer.

Anyway, I'm splitting hairs here. Im fine with the way it works. Thanks for explaining!