You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi @ZufDraw,

Which Affinity app are you using?  If Photo you could do this with linked layers, eg any linked layers you use the Flood Fill tool on would all get filled with the colour.  For moore on linked layers see here.  However, if you are using Designer i'm not aware of a way to do this, but i'm sure if someone else does, they will post shortly :) 

Thanks @stokerg, I'm sorry I was unclear. I'm talking about AP. I want to flood fill to work with the contraints from all layers. So let's say I have a circle (line, no fill) and want add a layer below that circle to fill that circle with colour. I cannot seem to use the flood fill tool to fill that layer within the constraints of the layer above. 

You could first create a selection from the according layer(s) with the Flood Select Tool. It has the options to create a selection from the Current Layer or All Layers. With the active selection switch to the Flood Fill Tool + select the desired layer to apply the color.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

8 hours ago, ZufDraw said:

So let's say I have a circle (line, no fill) and want add a layer below that circle to fill that circle with colour.

Is your circle an ellipse or some other vector path? If so, why not just set its fill to the desired color?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/29/2021 at 10:46 AM, thomaso said:

You could first create a selection from the according layer(s) with the Flood Select Tool. It has the options to create a selection from the Current Layer or All Layers. With the active selection switch to the Flood Fill Tool + select the desired layer to apply the color.

Thanks I was aware of that workaround. That’s fine for a single instance, but I in my work I make manual drawings and when I colour the drawing (in Ps) I use the bucket a lot, like a 100 times or more so I would prefer to just click and fill in 1 go with the flood fill.

On 6/29/2021 at 7:11 PM, R C-R said:

Is your circle an ellipse or some other vector path? If so, why not just set its fill to the desired color?

The circle example was to illustrate the issue. In practice I’m working with hand drawn images.

I was just wondering if I was missing some option, since the select tool is able to sample all layers so I assumed the flood might be set in a way to do that would too. Your replies confirmed it can only sample layers below. To me it seems like a strange limitation though. I mean, if you colour any line drawing, wouldn’t you always have the colour layer below the line layer. The similar bucket tool in ps is able to sample all layers. You cannot even limit it to only the layers below(?). There’s probably some other (photo editing) reasoning behind this choice that would make other things easier, but for coloring line drawings it’s tedious.

1 hour ago, ZufDraw said:

I mean, if you colour any line drawing, wouldn’t you always have the colour layer below the line layer.

Your situation is not really clear to me. For instance if your drawing is vector or pixel. – Can you show screenshot of your .afphoto with layers that shall get colored, plus one  shot with a colorized result as wanted of the same situation?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, ZufDraw said:

I mean, if you colour any line drawing, wouldn’t you always have the colour layer below the line layer.

I would like to have both above and below being taken into account.

I understand your frustration and suggest you make a request in the appropriate forum https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/56-feedback-for-the-affinity-suite-of-products/ . I have many situations where I get tired having to move layers around before I can colour using the fill tool. I have gotten sort of used to making many pixel layers for colour and then have to gather those together.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 7/2/2021 at 2:32 PM, thomaso said:

Your situation is not really clear to me. For instance if your drawing is vector or pixel. – Can you show screenshot of your .afphoto with layers that shall get colored, plus one  shot with a colorized result as wanted of the same situation?

I wasn’t clear with what I meant with lines. With Lines i mean the outlines (Also referred to as ink lines in cartooning) of a hand made drawing (so pixels, not vector). Just simple objects, people, buildings, nature, vehicles all drawn by hand (on a cintiq). Coloring is just like you would colour a coloring page, only more detailed and layered.  Here is a small corner of a drawing I made (on low resolution). E.g. the people might all need to be colored

untitled.jpg.17908829e744dd12659e51eaa086dae3.jpg

Ps @Old BruceI posted a feature request