You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need more WORD like features

I am writing my autobiography. It is about 500 pages long with about 500 images. I was using Microsoft WORD on my MAC until it died. Not the MAC, WORD. WORD simply could no longer manage such a large file. After some false starts and using linked images/frames in Affinity Publisher I have converted the entire document with no issues.

Some observations and requests that may have been made by others:

1) Absolutely need an auto numbering mechanism for figures and tables and to cross reference the labels.

2) Absolutely need support of Apple and other emojis.

3) Need to fix dictionary or provide option for other dictionaries

4) There is, I think a bug that is falsely claiming a resource cannot be found and some annoying bugs in and around converting an image to a frame and some bugs in and around tables, especially when trying to insert a new row near the top.

5) Need better documentation on how to remove text frame break

6) Need better mechanism for copying and pasting from one publisher file to another

7) Need a way to select which portions of the file should be exported to a pdf

8 Need a way to compare to files

9) Need a way to set masters so that frame linking from one page to the next can be automatic or a method to automatically link one text frame to the succeeding one.

10) Since each image (figure) ended up being in its own affinity photo file, it would be nice to have a feature that took the file name and superimposed text on the figure using the file name. So for instance if a file was called "Figure 1", that name would automatically be a text layer with the imported or placed image.

I am not complaining, just suggesting. Affinity Publisher saved me, although importing was very tedious. The only way I could import accurately was to first only import all the text, then manually import and place each image. I couldn't use a image frame in the master because I didn't necessarily want every page to have an image and I wanted the images to be placed as they appeared in the PDF file generated by WORD.

I'm sure there are other observations - these are the ones that come to mind.

Thanks -

Jonathan Liss

4 minutes ago, jmliss said:

2) Absolutely need support of Apple and other emojis.

That is available in the current 1.10.0.1085 beta.

5 minutes ago, jmliss said:

3) Need to fix dictionary or provide option for other dictionaries

You can install any Hunspell-compatible dictionary you want. Instructions in the FAQ:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98911-faq-how-do-i-add-additional-dictionaries-to-affinity-publisher/

If that doesn't resolve your problem, please give us more details in the Questions forum.

8 minutes ago, jmliss said:

6) Need better mechanism for copying and pasting from one publisher file to another

It might be worth exploring what you're doing now, and what the issues are, in the Questions forum. "Need better ..." doesn't tell us anything about what you need, and what you think is wrong with the existing support.

11 minutes ago, jmliss said:

7) Need a way to select which portions of the file should be exported to a pdf

You can already export specific pages, by page number or range, using the page number box on the Export dialog. If you need something more than that, it would help to know exactly what problems you're having with that support.

12 minutes ago, jmliss said:

9) Need a way to set masters so that frame linking from one page to the next can be automatic or a method to automatically link one text frame to the succeeding one.

That already exists, but without a specific example (ideally in the Questions forum) it's hard to be sure what to suggest.

However, if you're using Facing Pages, then for the 2-page master, draw a text frame on the left page, draw another on the right page, then link them. Everything after that should work automatically.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Will, thank you for responding -

Regarding number 7, yes, one can export pages, but not selection. Say I want the bottom half of page 3 and the top half of page 4

Regarding number 9, yes, I just tried a facing page and the spill over only worked on two pages, not to say the third and forth, etc and besides, I usually don't do facing pages

Regarding number 6, there should be a way to copy pages X - Y including all layers from one publisher file to another. What I can do is copy text (from linked frames) from one file to another. Maybe I am doing something wrong ?

Thank you for responding - Jonathan Liss

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can already export specific pages, by page number or range, using the page number box on the Export dialog. If you need something more than that, it would help to know exactly what problems you're having with that support.

Bonsoir,
Est-il possible d'exporter en page à page un document composé en double page ?

Good evening,
Is it possible to export a double page document in page to page format?

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That already exists, but without a specific example (ideally in the Questions forum) it's hard to be sure what to suggest.

However, if you're using Facing Pages, then for the 2-page master, draw a text frame on the left page, draw another on the right page, then link them. Everything after that should work automatically.

Il est aussi possible d'utiliser Shift et Alt (en cliquant sur la chaîne) pour générer automatiquement les pages pour les textes longs (toutes les pages ou page suivante).

It is also possible to use Shift and Alt (Click on the chain) to automatically generate pages for long texts (all pages or next page).

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

1 hour ago, jmliss said:

Regarding number 9, yes, I just tried a facing page and the spill over only worked on two pages, not to say the third and forth, etc and besides, I usually don't do facing pages

It should have worked for you with Facing Pages, but if you don't use them it may not be worth your time to figure out what you did wrong. But if you want to discuss it, try it, and show us the .afpub file. But that's best for a topic in the Questions forum.

It works even easier with non-Facing pages.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, jmliss said:

Regarding number 6, there should be a way to copy pages X - Y including all layers from one publisher file to another. What I can do is copy text (from linked frames) from one file to another. Maybe I am doing something wrong ?

Yes, you are.

Try Document > Add Pages from File.

-- Walt
PC:

Walt, again thank you for responding. Yes, add pages from file, yes, it works, but I think there are bugs. I cannot share my file because of personal information, but after adding pages, I tried inserting text at the end and it seemed like I was viewing the source file. I cannot reproduce. Regarding your other comment about auto spill over, I think you were suggesting I hit the shift key at the link and if that is what you think is the solution, yes, that worked. That is not quite what I was asking for, but yes, that did work for me. 

My intent of the original post was to express gratitude that affinity photo is able to be used on a file that "killed" Microsoft Word and I thought my observations would be helpful. I was a software/firmware manager for over 40 years and had customers around the world so I know how frustrating it is to get "soft" feedback. It is not easy to reproduce quirks, bugs, unexpected workflows, etc. When they are easy, I do provide specific examples.

I am on a MAC because it stays up 7x24xforever ....

14 minutes ago, jmliss said:

Regarding your other comment about auto spill over, I think you were suggesting I hit the shift key at the link and if that is what you think is the solution, yes, that worked. That is not quite what I was asking for, but yes, that did work for me. 

If it's not what you were asking for then please provide more details about the enhancement you would like. I'm not understanding it from what you've said so far.

But I'm glad the Shift+Click on the link icon approximates it :)

-- Walt
PC:

Walt, again thank you for responding. I guess it boils down to having the ability to provision, so to speak the shift+click in the master when setting up the document, instead of  remembering that it is a manual operation after the fact. Why is this bothering me? I guess for synergy, in that in the master you can set up frame links within the page, so why not have the ability to also provision frame links across pages in the master. It was only after you said that it can be done, and my examination of the help pages, did I find buried at the bottom of one of the pages the shit+click sequence.

I am a happy camper - except for the inability to have auto numbered figure labels with cross referencing, my entire experience was a success.