You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Styles from layer effects don't copy in absolute terms

Hello, 

I am fairly new to Affinity and am stuck with something I just cannot find a reason for or solution to. So, I hope for some advice here.

I am in the process of creating a photobook with -obviously- lots of images as well as text. I need to have a thin outline around all images and a small drop shadow. So, I created both via layer effects for one image (see screenshots), created a style from the selection, renamed the style and applied it to other pictures. Yet, the results varied with all of them. The percentages (drop shadows) changed and the radius for the outline too. And they change differently form one image to the next. What am I doing wrong? I thought the "scale with object" option should make sure exactly that doesn't happen, but I seem to be wrong again.

Can anybody here help me?

And while I am at it: why/when should I convert an imported/placed image to a picture frame? I need to flexibly resize and potentially crop images while finalising the pages and cannot have the images in their final version up front. And then I planned to apply the effects to the final version (and that seemed to go completely wrong with just cropped images).

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 on Mac OS Catalina

outer shadow as set.png

outer shadow different image.png

outline as set.png

outline different image.png

Unfortunately you can't do anything... it's the same for vector shape layers too and we requested a fix for several years...

Well, the "best" solution for your case is to select all text and image layers with effects applied (with "Select object / Select same") and edit manually the desired values in the Effects panel next to Layers. (It will be applied for all selected items)

Wow. Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
That is a set-back for my workflow. I didn't think this feature is so out-of-the-ordinary that it doesn't work at all. But apparently, I am not the only one thinking that. 

Anyway, I will follow your advice and do it that way. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seem to be a theme with styles: copying style, applying created style from Styles palette.

If you apply Style, you'll get one look. If you scale object or even move one of it's points and apply same Style, you get a different style look with all values scaled according to objects new size!

Style's attributes need to be stored in absolute values OR at least have option to be applied in absolute values.

Hope Affinity team will address it after all these years.

1202209986_2021-12-3114-46-08.2021-12-3114_49_27.gif.f61babd8bc7a1b88e7926cb11b0be3c0.gif

I'm probably missing something but can't you just untick "scale with object"?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Dear PaulEC, its better to test out reported issue more detailed, if you want a more constructive discussion, otherwise it looks like we all dumb here, and you are leak the light to the secret tick. Its not solve the issue, if you want to know the answer.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @upu,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

On 6/3/2022 at 10:25 PM, upu said:

Any updates on this bug, Serif team?

I can confirm this issue is still logged with our development team to be resolved - I'll be sure to 'bump' this with the team now for you.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!