You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I want to redraw a comic picture and would like to have some tips from you, how you would approach this task.

I would start with the basic (more or less) mono-coloured layers, try to redraw the simpler shapes and finally go over to redraw the complex elements. I am a bit unsure about how to best handle all the little details in a complex shape: shall they be drawn one by one or should I try to make use of some patterns? Maybe I should first draw the outline of the figure and add the details afterwards?

As always: All your input is highly appreciated! 

My first tip would be to check on the copyright situation. Your cartoon looks like it is from an Asterix book. I understand that Uderzo was keen on his copyright. Even if you transform the image to vector, it is still their copyright.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

9 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

My first tip would be to check on the copyright situation. Your cartoon looks like it is from an Asterix book. I understand that Uderzo was keen on his copyright. Even if you transform the image to vector, it is still their copyright.

John

Oh! That is really a good tip, thank you! I will contact them. (+1)

The copyright situation would only be important if you want to publish your redrawn image or the original - which you already did here. Uderzo was famous for being verry fussy with his copyrights. He sued many people who harmed it. And that can become verry expensive. So never publish Artwork of other people - even in forums like this - without permission of the copyright owners.

@Vince42

Bonsoir,
Pour le moment je n'ai pas encore trop utilisé Designer pour ce type de travail. Mais j'ai beaucoup fait ce genre de réalisation avec Illustrator.
La technique est simple, dessiner comme on le fait de façon traditionnelle.
Par exemple pour une main, je dessine les doigts la paume... et je crée avec ça la forme globale pour le remplissage. Et pas le contraire (contour général de la main et traits pour les doigts).
Pour la cape (droite), vous pouvez faire une forme générale que vous coupez en deux pour les différentes zones de couleur.
Le plastron, en une seule pièce, le bras repasse par dessus et masque ce qui n'est pas visible.
Le poteau, une forme plutôt rectangulaire, on trace les traits obliques et on découpe avec les outils de géométrie (en gardant en copie les premiers tracés extérieurs pour, par exemples plaquer une forme de pinceau pour les structurer en une fois)...
Généralement, je dessine les grandes formes et je les réduits en dessinant les détails...
La mise en couleur vient, en général, à la fin.
En espérant être clair et que cela vous aide.

Good evening.
At the moment I haven't used Designer too much for this kind of work. But I have done a lot of this kind of work with Illustrator.
The technique is simple, draw as you would in the traditional way.
For example, for a hand, I draw the fingers, the palm... and I create with that the global shape for the filling. And not the opposite (general outline for the hand, lines for the fingers).
For the cape (right), you can make a general shape that you cut in two for the different colour areas.
The breastplate, in one piece, the arm goes over and hides what is not visible.
The column, a rather rectangular shape, you draw the oblique lines and cut with the geometry tools (keeping a copy of the first external lines to, for example, apply a brush shape to structure them at once)...
Generally, I draw the large shapes and reduce them by drawing the details...
The colouring comes, in general, at the end.
I hope this is clear and that it helps you.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

20 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

The copyright situation would only be important if you want to publish your redrawn image or the original - which you already did here. Uderzo was famous for being verry fussy with his copyrights. He sued many people who harmed it. And that can become verry expensive. So never publish Artwork of other people - even in forums like this - without permission of the copyright owners.

Okay, sorry, were not aware of the implications. Is there any way to show the source in a legal compliant way? 

Otherwise it would become difficult to describe what I think and mean ... 🤔

9 minutes ago, uneMule said:

@Vince42

At the moment I haven't used Designer too much for this kind of work. But I have done a lot of this kind of work with Illustrator.
The technique is simple, draw as you would in the traditional way.
For example, for a hand, I draw the fingers, the palm... and I create with that the global shape for the filling. And not the opposite (general outline for the hand, lines for the fingers).
For the cape (right), you can make a general shape that you cut in two for the different colour areas.
The breastplate, in one piece, the arm goes over and hides what is not visible.
The column, a rather rectangular shape, you draw the oblique lines and cut with the geometry tools (keeping a copy of the first external lines to, for example, apply a brush shape to structure them at once)...
Generally, I draw the large shapes and reduce them by drawing the details...
The colouring comes, in general, at the end.
I hope this is clear and that it helps you.

Thank you for your tips!