You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dear Serif staff,

I really appriciate your work on the Affinity Designer which I use almost lot to edit figures for my scientific publications.  I wonder if you are plan on building a software to replace Adobe Acrobat, and if yes hoe can I be an alpha or beta tester of such a software.

All the best,

Itamar Kass, PhD

• Staff

Hi Ikass,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Thank you for your kind words and feedback. We do plan on releasing an app called Affinity Publisher this will be a desktop publishing app :) It should be available in beta form sometime late next year.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum,

I believe the original poster asked for an Adobe Acrobat replacement, not for an Indesign replacement, and yes indeed … I would be interested in that as well … would you kindly put this on your future plans list, right beneath the digital assets manager?  ;)

Cheers, Alex  :)

ikass,

Apple's Preview app can do many of the things that Adobe Acrobat can do. Sure it can't do everything that Acrobat can do but it is free. Preview can delete and merge PDF files and as well as some other basic editing tools. What kind of things do you use Acrobat for? I recommend giving it a try, it might not be powerful enough for you but for many people it works well enough to not to have to use Acrobat at all. 

Hokusai

Hi all,

hmm, I thought of things you would usually do as part of the pre-print process, like checking separations, ink coverage, reviewing colour warnings, fixing hairlines, and so on. Ideally, it should be possible to perform everything that the print production tools in Acrobat allow us to do. I am well aware that Preview is strong enough to reorganise or merge PDF files, just as Hokusai said, but it obviously lacks the features needed for serious pre-press work … I don’t know if things like these could be integrated into Publisher, but in my opinion it’s very convenient to have a separate application for this … 

Alex  :)

Callum, a Pre-Flighting/Pre-press persona for APublisher would be great indeed... 

Hi Ikass,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Thank you for your kind words and feedback. We do plan on releasing an app called Affinity Publisher this will be a desktop publishing app :) It should be available in beta form sometime late next year.

C

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Yes, why not have a Pre-Press or Pre-Flight Persona … sounds reasonable enough … but I would advocate the idea, that this Persona should be able to open and evaluate PDF files created in other applications as well, in the very same way Acrobat currently allows to do … perhaps it should also be able to handle Postscript files …  :)

Well it's shure enough that publisher will open any pdf and thus one can also switch over to the (pretended) preflight persona.

Very nice that some enjoy this idea :D

I enjoy the idea that I'll hopefully get to know much more about this things soon ^^

Hi all,

Thnaks for the great deiscussion, I do use apple preivew around 90% of the time.  I need Acrobet mainly if I ancounter an old paper which was scanned to pdf and i wish to make it searchable using the OCR option.  OR sometimes to reduce the size of PDFs.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, a preflight persona is a good idea to avoid errors, but we really need to check the final exported PDF.

It's very easy to accidentally export a low resolution RGB PDF that won't print correctly, but since the whole document was designed using high resolution images and CMYK colours the Pre-flight persona wouldn't be psychic and know what silly PDF export setting you're going to use.

No, we need some way to check PDFs AFTER export, not before.

I'd buy a copy of that, in a heart beat.

• 3 years later...
On 12/9/2015 at 12:06 AM, A_B_C said:

Exactly, Stephen … that’s what I meant when I said “that this Persona should be able to open and evaluate PDF files, in the very same way Acrobat currently allows to do” …  :)

Ah, I see. I thought that once it had been brought into that persona, it would be editable as an open Designer file – requiring saving again after inspection. If it's just a viewing persona only, then I can go with you on that one.