You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need to make a screencast showing update process

Hi all,

Can you help me with the following problem I have. I need to show my wife in Botswana how she can update Affinity Designer. Piece of cake I hear you say but that is not so true.

First, my Affinity Designer application on a Windows 10 laptop is up to date. I am waiting now for several weeks in the hope, Serif would release an update. Regretfully that is not the case.

I do not want to damage the installed Affinity Designer application because it is working fine.

Can anybody telling me, how I can show the update process without altering the Affinity Designer I am using? I am thinking about installing an older version in a separate directory, let it run and when it ask to update, just update and record that whole process. Will this be safe?

Thank you so much for your input and help, which I do appreciate.

Chris

Am I correct in assuming that unlike Mac versions bought from the Affinity Store, the Windows do not have a "Check for Updates" item on a menu or elsewhere in the app?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Pretty sure that your assumption is correct. I had if pointed out to me that Windows lacks that feature quite a while back.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi all,

Thank you all for your answers.

Indeed, the Windows version does not have the "check for updates" version. I also cannot update remotely because the internet connection at my home in Botswana is very poor. My wife has to download the setup file first and then update it. The whole process is straightforward and easy to follow. However, her IT knowledge is very limited and she need a full visual guide of the whole process. I know this may sound silly, however this is the truth.

The video tutorial or guide, must be exactly how the process happens. If something gets different, then it will be a problem. Normally, this should not be a problem because we are together two times a year. However, because of Corona, we last see each other more than one year and a half ago. I just want to keep the software up-to-date, both here as in Botswana.

Your input will be very much appreciated.

Chris