You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Suite: Measurement error of rules in the international measurement system

Hello everyone,

Here is a big incomprehensible problem that I am quite surprised to find. The units of measurement for horizontal and vertical rulers are completely wrong in the international system of measurement (mm, cm, m).

Whatever the magnification, the usual principle is normally:

1. Separate 10 thin and not very long graduations by a long and thick mark: 0, 10, 20, 30…
  2. In the middle of these 10 graduations, a shorter and thinner mark: 5, 15, 25, 35…

See the .afpub file.

This is not the case here (see red arrows at positions 5, 15, 25, 35, etc.). Therefore, these rules have no relevance to mm, cm, and m, which are the most widely used units in the world.

ruler.png.32c079406be734ecf5b191e6cdff9444.png

ruler.afpub

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

47 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

Here is a big incomprehensible problem that I am quite surprised to find.

I’m quite surprised that you didn’t find it sooner!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

It can depend of the worflow. Since I don't find them usable this way, for example, I tend to use the old trick to create frames of needed measurements and aligning needed objects on them, storing those frames out of the pages for later if needed.

I also use those frames to add guides easily.

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

Indeed. We can see that this obviously very important problem dates from 26 November 2018! and that despite its importance (I would say a priority 2/5) it has still not been dealt with! 

4 hours ago, Panchdara said:

Good observation. But I think it also depends on the zoom level.

No.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

20 hours ago, Panchdara said:

I don’t understand … oh well.

😉 We can see the 5 appearing around magnification 800, i.e. when 1 mm is enlarged in detail by about 1 micrometer, but that is not the point. This remark does, however, help to explain a difficulty in understanding the problem.

ruler-5.png.c69ba1b649d15d28ea581379156ab9c1.png

1. The 5 graduation is wrong, because the length and thickness of the 5 is the same as that of the 10. In the rules, the principle is that the graduations of the 5 are intermediate between those of the units and those of the 10.
  2. It is not clear at this time to know what value a line between 0 and 1 corresponds to. This is really only understandable by mathematicians! It is difficult to see this at first glance, as there are 5 graduations between 0 and 1 (0, ¼, 5, ¾, 10).

Depending on the magnification, there should be either 3 graduations (0, 5, 10) or 11 graduations (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 , 9, 10), In both cases with the 0 and 10 larger and the 5 in between (image Wikihow).

Ruler in inches

ruler-inch.png.3bd05b3070376aadda3a621bbc9c125d.png

Ruler in centimetres

ruler-cm.png.5ce907ef0202c5bf31ff3789ee01e5e9.png

📏Continuing the principles at higher levels would be welcome.

You can also see a scale taken from the head 0.5 at around magnification 8,000 on my screen, in other words, when 1 mm is enlarged in detail by about 100 nanometres. As it stands, the greater the magnification, the less comprehensible the understanding of the line values.

1839866199_ruler-05.png.97f3051d754ed30cdeb27182a3da2b7a.png

Then we see a new step in the 0.25, 0.75 graduations around 18,000, i.e. when 1 mm is enlarged in detail by about 50 nanometers! And so on.

What value does each little stroke represent?

ruler.png.6339687d7aa212a61fffb2cc62737138.png

🔍Independently of that.

This allows to point out another very important problem, this time specific to French (and perhaps to other localization). We read 0.5 and not 0,5.

In French, the decimal separator is a comma and not a point, which leads to a lot of confusion. The localization of the Affinity suite should respect the user’s localization rather than imposing localization specific to that of the product designers. On Windows: settings/regions/change date, time or number formats.

local-number.png.285ff84bf716fd2d7d1d26707ef0952f.png

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.