You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta 244 document for which Rasterize or Merge Visible fails to work correctly

I have an image in this document composed of several layers which is black and white; doing either rasterize or merge visible operation does not result in the image matching what I saw right before. The resultant image is lighter in color and seems closer to matching the topmost layer image, as if the merge/raster operation is ignoring the 3 lower layers (all Add or similar).

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Big Sur 11.4 (20F71), 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

wip.afphoto

Device: Apple M1 Ultra 64GB Ventura 13.0.1 Apple Studio Display

- Andrew

• Staff

Hi @Florida,
Make sure you are checking the file at 100% zoom or higher when comparing the before and after the rasterise or merge operation. Affinity Designer/Photo uses mipmaps - lower resolution versions of the image/layer - to improve application's performance when rendering images on screen at zoom levels below 100%. Since the layers you are working with are noisy (which tend to exacerbate the issue) what you see on screen below 100% zoom doesn't represent the image accurately and thus differs from the rasterised/merged image (which is also misrepresented if not seen at 100% zoom).

With the zoom set to 100% or above you shouldn't see any differences when merging or rasterising layers since we use the full image/layer resolution instead, thus is shows an accurate representation of all layers and respective result after the rasterise/merge operation. This is all by design and also applies to live filters/adjustments - make sure you are checking/adjusting them with the image at 100% zoom or above for accurate 
results.

• 2 weeks later...

A mipmap would still reflect the content of all layers, even if less resolution, otherwise everyone would think the app is broken.

Device: Apple M1 Ultra 64GB Ventura 13.0.1 Apple Studio Display

- Andrew

On 6/18/2021 at 12:21 PM, Florida said:

The resultant image is lighter in color and seems closer to matching the topmost layer image, as if the merge/raster operation is ignoring the 3 lower layers (all Add or similar).

Just for the record, the lower 3 layers are not "all Add or similar". One of them is "Color Dodge".

I don't know what difference that should make to Merge Visible, though.

On 6/21/2021 at 7:25 AM, MEB said:

With the zoom set to 100% or above you shouldn't see any differences when merging or rasterising layers

I have to agree with Florida that something interesting is happening.

Working at 100% zoom, here's a partial screenshot before doing a Merge Visible on the document in the original post:

image.png.4d8873c3c953e9f6d417503001ae0038.png

and here's one after the Merge Visible:

image.png.61c1bd54fc39747ca7508a72634d6ed6.png

(That's with 1.10.0.1085 Beta on Windows, but something similar happens on 1.9.2.1035)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I am not sure what actually goes on with the Add blend mode when you are using pure Black and pure White only, no shades of grey at all. But I do see a difference. No difference if other blend modes are used. The result of Merge Visible shows no difference if I first use a 1 pixel gaussian blur on the layers so there is something going on with this edge case.

Does anyone know how to explain to me in simple words what Add does with only Black and White?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.