You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: How to see graphics/text that isn't on the page

When i drag an image/svg slightly off the artboard, it doesn't show me the part that is NOT on the white artboard (including bleed) space. Even if I completely drag the object off the artboard, it still doesn't show up, it's invisible. If i click on the invisible thing, it shows the selection rectangle, and I can drag it back to the page layout and it appears again.

So it's not possible to keep some stuff in your design off-artboard as alternatives, etc. only the artboard is considered? It's weird cause I played with views, clip canvas (which only shows/hides the bleed space, not the rest). 

Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 18.21.19.jpg

favicon-16.png BRANDbrilliance • Graphics • Websites • Printing • E-marketing

"Artboard" is a technical term that is usually used in Designer, and refers specifically to Artboard objects.

In Publisher it is more usual to have Pages or Spreads, though it is possible to have Artboards via several different methods.

I think you are probably referring to objects that are off of the Page/Spread in Publisher, and in the pasteboard. If so, then try View > View Mode in the menu and make sure that Clip to Canvas is not selected.

Edit: Note, though, that objects in the pasteboard need to be to the right or left of the Page/Spread in Publisher. The vertical pasteboard is very small.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Right. The pasteboard area in Publisher is really only to the right or left, except for (perhaps) a very tiny area top/bottom.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, brandbrilliance said:

I figured out that it was working but NOT when you drag the element to the TOP of the spread (which is weird).

Actually not weird. It's just that above/below the next spread starts, so items will get moved on them.
If you really need more workspace above/below you could use a workaround: Increase the according bleed value to the desired page distance. Of cause this space needs to get cleaned up if you reset the bleed for export.

507160066_bleedasworkspace.thumb.jpg.fb92b1627dfb4744181c33b571a882d3.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1