You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I wanted to draw a simple cross...

On 6/20/2021 at 1:15 PM, GarryP said:

Just in case anyone is interested, here’s a Maltese-like cross made from two cogs.

Nicely thought out! (Am I allowed to say ‘cogitated’?)

P.S. Here’s a completely different kind of Maltese cross:

73EBF7EE-7653-4F62-8069-73B94B268BF6.webp.74466e4c4509df5bc5ad14efc8ee71e1.webp

Edited by Alfred
Replaced photo

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Paul Martin said:

You're making a very good case for a dedicated tool...

But like @Alfred said, unless it had lots of adjustment parameters (for number, position, & size of its arms among others) it would not be of much use for creating more than a very few types of simple crosses, the same ones that can easily be made using the methods already mentioned here.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There was a time when Serif apparently had quite a lot of vicars among its customers, probably producing parish newsletters... 

On the subject of fancy - and more awkward to draw - crosses, here is a quick version of a Cross of Lorraine, apparently originating in Hungary or possibly Belarus. Apparently it was the symbol of the Free French in WWII.

Paul

Corss of Lorraine.png

There are also a bunch of avalable glyph fonts which already offer xx different cross signs. These are easy to reuse and vectorize further on demand if needed.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Well, interesting discussion and I’ve learnt a lot. And that’s why I have a question about shapes too. Is there a possibility to add shapes to the shape tools? The crosses I’ve download (Thank you Alfred!) are fonts, and I know how to insert them.

Sometimes I like to use some vector based icons (fork and knife, car, different kind of arrows etc) but I don’t know how to insert them. Any solution? Thanks in advanced!

Using Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer for iPad.

34 minutes ago, Ashcat said:

Is there a possibility to add shapes to the shape tools? The crosses I’ve download (Thank you Alfred!) are fonts, and I know how to insert them.

Sometimes I like to use some vector based icons (fork and knife, car, different kind of arrows etc) but I don’t know how to insert them. Any solution? Thanks in advanced!

No, you can't add new shapes to the shape tools.

However, if you find a vector fork and knife, car, etc. you can add them to the Assets panel (assuming the iPad has the same functionality in this area as the desktop versions that we're discussing here).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, you can't add new shapes to the shape tools.

However, if you find a vector fork and knife, car, etc. you can add them to the Assets panel (assuming the iPad has the same functionality in this area as the desktop versions that we're discussing here).

Yes, the iPad version has a Asset panel too! Thanks for the info!