You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How far do you think I am into becoming a good artist?

Ply23r

The attached screenshot was hastily drawn in 10 minutes. I wasn't really trying, I just scribbled as I was thinking if I should leave Affinity and transfer to Photoshop since I find their brushes smoother. But as I scribbled along, I came to realize that the secret of great artworks relies not on the brushes, but in the artist.

So how far do you think I am into becoming a good artist?

I'm interested in creating characters for games but I started late. What do I need to improve on? 

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Ply23r

5 minutes ago, Ply23r said:

Also, what type of brushes are recommended for game character design? I'm comfortable using pencil coz it feels smooth and fast, but I know it doesn't register well.

I don't play computer games, so I do not know what is needed.

Do computer games characters need animation? Does one need to make a number of drawings for the same character?

I know that a lot of people like playing computer games, but having tried once long ago I find that computer games are all too fast for me, I don't like fast moving images and flashing effects. I know that some people do, good luck to them, it is a matter of personal choice.

Recently I was watching a YouTube video and an advert for Serif Affinity 1.9 came on, all fast moving, swirling images and so on. I didn't like it at all. But then, so what? If Serif management like it and people who watch the video like it and buy as a result, then the fact that I don't like it is of no consequence. I prefer reading well-explained articles about Affinity products.

If I could draw as well as you I would draw pictures to illustrate my novels, but alas I do not have that skill. Maybe I can learn.

Do you draw using a graphics tablet, or what please?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

A series of relevant resources, based upon I assume the discipline you're interested in pursuing as a possible career trajectory. 

Character Designer Job Description:

https://www.cgspectrum.com/career-pathways/character-designer

Also this insightful article I would highly recommend reading end to end:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-02-26-how-to-be-a-better-character-designer

7 hours ago, Ply23r said:

So how far do you think I am into becoming a good artist?

Not to be factious but how long is a piece of string?!

Frankly, that aspiration is most definitely in your court, I'm afraid. So from here on in its practice, practice plus more practice then rinse and repeat....

"I'm interested in creating characters for games but I started late. What do I need to improve on? "

Art Fundamentals:

- Observation

- Perspective

- Composition

- Form

- Anatomy

- Value & Lighting

- Drawing

I like to write.

I am not claiming to be good at it, I enjoy doing it, if some people enjoy reading what I write, then good.

But I am not at all good at art when it comes to drawing freehand.

I mean, I can think up and design abstract glyphs by a basically mathematical approach, but drawing people, no. Maybe I can learn, maybe not.

I have used clip art, sometimes adapting it.

For example, the following PDF slideshow uses some adapted Serif clip art. The adaption changed the context of the original image in each case.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/slide_show_about_localizable_sentences.pdf

A product that I would like Serif to have in its Affinity Store would be a reasonably priced collection of royalty-free clip art of people, yet to a specific brief.

Whenever I have seen clip art of people it has always been only one view of each of many characters.

What I would like is a few sets, each of several (ten, twenty?) views of the same character, exhibiting different facial expressions and body language.

For example, say, a character named Margaret who works in an office.

Say five images of Margaret at work on one particular day, same clothing in each image.

Some images of Margaret off duty, maybe shopping for frozen vegetables, and so on.

Some images of Margaret dressed up at a formal event (say, company dinner dance)

Other sets of images.

The same for a few other characters.

So maybe around a hundred images in total featuring, say, five characters.

Then people who buy the collection can produce illustrated items using some of the artwork.

Maybe a story with illustrations, maybe a tutorial slide show, maybe a comic type presentation, whatever.

The ability to produce such art is a great talent that not all of us possess

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Thank you.

I suppose that one of Margaret playing an audio guitar would be good too.

One story by one author could use that image as Margaret playing at home as relaxation.

In another story that image could be Alice playing at a folk club. She saw a poster saying Open Mic' Night and went along and took part, to great applause.

In another story that image could be Stephanie who has self-funded making a video at a small recording studio to send to her aunt who lives in Australia.

And so on.

William

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on how badly you want it. It's all about putting in the 'flight time' the more you practice the better you'll get.

If you're prepared to put in the time anything is possible but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication.

If I were you, I'd be drawing as much as possible. Always have a sketch pad with you and draw everything (and keep all your old sketches).

There's a lot of good tutorials on YT about the fundamentals of drawing. :)

Practice, PRACTICE, pRACTICE. anybody can learn to draw. Some people learn the easy way, some people learn the hard way. Practice 'till your arm hurts. Right now there are so many things availalble to improve your art faster, lots of things to help you learn, lots of things to copy and practice which were not available before. You even dont need to buy ink and paint to draw.

8 hours ago, zaflemos said:

Practice, PRACTICE, pRACTICE. anybody can learn to draw. Some people learn the easy way, some people learn the hard way. Practice 'till your arm hurts. Right now there are so many things availalble to improve your art faster, lots of things to help you learn, lots of things to copy and practice which were not available before. You even dont need to buy ink and paint to draw.

test pic.png